IGNORED

Which DACs or Renderers have external clock inputs?

With reference clocks becoming a little more affordable these days, which DACs or Renderers have external inputs to make use of them?

So far the smallish list (not looking very hard perhaps) stems from the TEAC stable, Esoteric and 'consumer' UD / NT -50x.

sOTM have a USB reclocker, regenerative tx-USBultra.

Mutec, can accept external clock inputs, example MC-3+USB.

Any others to add to the (wish) list?

Is there a primer on how to use the clock inputs, mainly with regard to cabling, especially length on cables, terminators, tees, connecting a chain of devices? 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

3 hours ago, One and a half said:

sOTM have a USB reclocker, regenerative tx-USBultra.

SOtM, have several products that except the sCLK-EX clocking board, which in turn can have a reference input added for a master clock.  Also the sCLK-EX is versatile in that it can be used on in any situation to replace system clocks such as on a motherboard.  SOtM will do the modifications for you.  I consider the sCLK-EX as audiophile product of the year 2017. 

It's great to see all the new entrants into the master clock component arena.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

14 hours ago, One and a half said:

Is there a primer on how to use the clock inputs, mainly with regard to cabling, especially length on cables, terminators, tees, connecting a chain of devices? 

For what it’s worth: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=739319

15 hours ago, One and a half said:

With reference clocks becoming a little more affordable these days, which DACs or Renderers have external inputs to make use of them?

dCS

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

49 minutes ago, One and a half said:

@plissken, @mansr, @esldude, all three you get an F (or a 5 so mansr can understand) for failing to answer the question at post 1.

You can either contribute by providing an answer to the question or not answer at all if you don't know or don't care. It's not the point of this thread to determine if reference clocks and DACs are a waste of time, sheer folly, I would have asked that question, but I didn't. 

Persist with crapping on this thread and the posts will be deleted, your choice.

I provided you with info directly pertinent to the question you posed by telling in what area to find gear that would accept the clock.  Some of that gear is unusually good for reasons having nothing to do with the clock.  Should have gotten at least a D for that much. 

I provided additional info directly pertinent to the question which didn't tell you what you wanted to hear.  You'll not get the results you are imagining because of a misunderstanding in how this works.  So now you want to delete that so you don't have to see it?  Sorry Snowflake.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

37 minutes ago, esldude said:

I provided you with info directly pertinent to the question you posed by telling in what area to find gear that would accept the clock.  Some of that gear is unusually good for reasons having nothing to do with the clock.  Should have gotten at least a D for that much. 

I provided additional info directly pertinent to the question which didn't tell you what you wanted to hear.  You'll not get the results you are imagining because of a misunderstanding in how this works.  So now you want to delete that so you don't have to see it?  Sorry Snowflake.

still not answering the question, what does it take.

The various Mytek Dacs including the Brooklyn +.

Burl B2 Bomber

https://burlaudio.com/products/b2-bomber-dac

Cary Dac 200TS

https://www.caryaudio.com/products/dac-200ts-digital-to-analog-converter/

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

10 minutes ago, GUTB said:

King:

1. Cesium Beam

2. Rubidium

Do you realise that these are merely used to discipline a crystal oscillator? Their raw outputs have far too much jitter to be directly usable. If low jitter is your goal, you're actually better off with a plain OCXO. These can easily achieve frequency accuracy and stability several orders of magnitude in excess of what audio applications require.

41 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

How do you discipline a crystal oscillator?

Whips?

It's an audiophile thing, you need to be initiated.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

50 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

How do you discipline a crystal oscillator?

Whips?

It appears some believe you do it with buzz words and money.  Then there are those who understand what is going on.

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

I'll try to stay on topic, but I'm tempted to pick a fight or two:)

One thing that is confusing is some of the clocks you discussed above do different things and it's probably best not to mix and match conversations about them in the same thread because it will just confuse people. For example, some of these use clocks to driver synthesizers, some use clocks to drive computer parts, and some use clocks for audio in your DAC. FYI None of these are at their best when delivered via cables and connectors across several devices.  

Anyway, his might not be exactly what you were looking for, but technically most DACs with i2s inputs via a RJ-45 connector accept an external master clock. Some DACs that have a LVDS i2s input via HDMI connector also accept external master clock, but most of these ignore the master clock. For example the PS Audio DS and the W4S both ignore the external master clock. My personal home made Buffalo DAC can work both ways, but currently it's using it's local clock as master.   

Here is a link to a data base I worked on a while ago:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h5PMUBkldkpt1rCnAR4ZHYGZNeCe-vwIFyKWYMZWsX0/edit#gid=0 

Thank you Jesus for this valuable information. Very briefly found an I2S chip from Cypress which had provision for a master clock, by looks of this a typical arrangement which is fine. Given the list on googledocs (another thanks) for i2S 'treatment' the clocking arrangements are a conformity of standards of sorts, and there's the problem. Bit of a dog's breakfast to pin outs, or the choice is to stick with one manufacturer so the protocol, connector and pinouts match for the time being. 

I'll let the sentence " FYI None of these are at their best when delivered via cables and connectors across several devices." fly through to the keeper for now, since several devices in a chain depend on what they do, and guarding against leakage currents is a paramount issue in that particular scheme.