IGNORED

Directory design for my music library

17 hours ago, Apesbrain said:

I'd suggest ARTIST/ALBUM/TRACKNUMBER - TITLE as some players -- particularly those in cars -- play track folder contents in alphabetical order. 

E.g. The Beatles/Revolver/01 - Taxman.flac

To be exact, I use Artiste/Album/Disc Number-Track Number-Song Title.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

On 11/16/2017 at 12:29 AM, Nosmo_King said:

I am ready to begin ripping cds to flac files. I am planning to just set up my library using folders for each performers name. So each folder could hold multiple albums.

Is this too simple? Should I be doing something else? 

In 2017, imo, yes. You should be ripping to ALAC, put it all into iTunes and let it generate (and update) the folder hierarchy automatically based on the metadata you've supplied. :P

4 hours ago, Bystander said:

In 2017, imo, yes. You should be ripping to ALAC, put it all into iTunes and let it generate (and update) the folder hierarchy automatically based on the metadata you've supplied. :P

Actually, I have noticed that iTunes does strange things to my file names when I use it to import my music (ripped on XLD). Some times, it takes away the disc number at random, so my folder gets jumbled up. :/

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

• 5 weeks later...

Here are a few things I have thought about with a very big library:

Growth (especially if not using a NAS with one giant logical volume).  I have Pop/Rock A-M as a folder on a 5TB drive so that I have room for growth.

Ease of adding albums - How easy is it to find the folder?   Scroll a directory for subdirectory "Rolling Stones" starting with "A" bands? or click on "R" folder and then scroll down to Rolling Stones sub-directory?

Multi-disc sets and multi-layer discs  (CD, SACD Stereo, SACD MC).  One folder with three discs like previously mentioned?

Artiste/Album/Disc Number-Track Number-Composer-Song Title.

Three sub folders?

Various mixes and masters:

/Album [MLP 24-96 Stereo]

/Album [MLP 24-96 5.1]

/Album [Steve Wilson Remix]

/Album [Original UK flat transfer]

/Album [Quad Reel-to-Reel digitized to DVD-A]

/Album [Remaster w/bonus tracks]

/Album [2016 Vinyl RM]- etc.

I also have been ripping the bonus video DVD and putting that folder under the album folder

/Album (Deluxe Edition)-1 [Original Album]

/Album (Deluxe Edition)-2 [Live Bonus Disc]

/Album (Deluxe Edition)-3 [DVD Video MKV] 

I name artists as they are listed vs. surname, first so I don't need to worry about Alice Cooper being an "A" folder or "C" folder or Howlin' Wolf being "H" or "W" (or filed under Chester Arthur Burnett ) etc. although I do tag Surname, First which creates controversy.

I like to have my major genres separated as I sometimes like to copy select genres (Classical, Jazz, Blues, etc.)  to other drives/players and this is easy w/o worrying about having everything tagged.  This is especially true for Classical which I have as a separate collection.

Various Artists has gotten really big. I also use Soundtracks.   I make sure I have the Artist and Album Artist tagged.

You should also think about album art and where that is stored and the player you prefer.  JRiver has a feature that will show multiple pictures but only reads from certain folder names, etc.

I also keep a .txt file record of my rip stored in the album folder.  dbPowerAmp does this automatically. 

The Steve Wilson YES BluRays are a good test project as are 4.0 AF Hybrid SACDs and even Deluxe Editions and big 8+ CD box sets. 

Everyone has their own preferences but I thought I would spark some thinking so you can plan vs. invest months into ripping before realizing you would have preferred a different setup.

Other things I like:

- I tag each rip so I know the source item and avoid confusion like "was that from the RCA or Virgin pressing.   Here is an example of what I put in the comments field:    2002 UK Virgin CD1234

- I also auto copy the rip results in .txt to folder so I know the accurip results

- my neighbor only uses scan of his item so the pics and music library are also an inventory so he can see what his item looks like (too much work for me although I try to only use exactly the correct art).

- portability between players - you might want to think about how easy is your library to power different players like Foobar2000, JRiver, Roon, iTunes, etc.    If you get too custom it might be too hard to switch players.

Have fun!  I have ripped my 7,000+ CD collection over many years.