IGNORED

Best (sane) choice to power micro/ultraRendu?

I've been powering my micro Rendu for the past year off the adjustable 9V tap (set to 7.5V) on an HDPlex LPS power supply.  I see in window shopping

that Sonore recommends 7V for both micro and ultra Rendu so I'm feeling pretty good about buying a better (quieter?) power supply that I can  use

for now with the micro and later make the upgrade to the ultra Rendu.  Has anyone compared the different flavors of power supply, if so for under $1K

what are your thoughts, advice?  Looking for comparisons please, not owner loyalty statements.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

The UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 is an obvious choice and probably what I will get for my ultraRendu when I decide to get a proper power supply for it.

There is also (from Sonore web site):

iFi iPower power supply - 9VDC

CIAudio linear power supply - 9VDC

Teddy Pardo linear power supply - 7VDC

Uptone Audio JS-2 linear power supply - set to 7VDC

Vinnie Rossi LIO with microRendu/ultraRendu output stage

Sbooster - 9VDC

Sonore Signature Series linear power supply - 7VDC

ask @vortecjr to look for a second hand Sonore Signature PS, should be able to get one for 1K one day...I compared this with mR 1.3 and uR against Sbooster, Ifi iPower, LPS-1 and Sonore Signature Rendu SE. Only the SE bettered the Signature PS. the rest was blown far away.

So try to get a Sonore Signature PS or save up for a SE would be my advise

Pink Faun Streamer —>  Pink Faun DAC --> Ayre AX5 --> Paradigm S8 

1 hour ago, m3lraaHnevetS said:

ask @vortecjr to look for a second hand Sonore Signature PS, should be able to get one for 1K one day...I compared this with mR 1.3 and uR against Sbooster, Ifi iPower, LPS-1 and Sonore Signature Rendu SE. Only the SE bettered the Signature PS. the rest was blown far away.

So try to get a Sonore Signature PS or save up for a SE would be my advise

I found this article echoed your experience but it does appear the off the shelf price of the signature PS is $1300. Interestingly enough its not listed for sale on Sonore's web site?

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/sonore-microrendu/

If you couldn't afford the  Sonore PS, the reviewer seemed to like this next best, wonder if anyone on the site has tried it...doesn't look like he had the Uptone supply or Sbooster. As always trying to spread those audio dollars as far as I can. If for example there's really little difference between the HDPlex  and others below $1K, that $1K gets me halfway to a Yggdrassil ;)

https://ciaudio.com/product/vdc•7-mkii-upgrade-power-supply/

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 11/14/2017 at 5:29 PM, davide256 said:

I found this article echoed your experience but it does appear the off the shelf price of the signature PS is $1300. Interestingly enough its not listed for sale on Sonore's web site?

I believe that SE PS has been discontinued.  I think that's why @m3lraaHnevetS recommended trying to locate a used one.

4 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

I just found out about this power supply:

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/custom-units/products/200w-linear-power-supply

?variant=22466785860

The unit can power multiple devices and is very low noise. Using the variable plug set to 7VDC would have 2mV of ripple noise.

Seems like a pretty decent PSU at a bargain price. A 200W R-core transformer wouldn't come cheaply either.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

5 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

I just found out about this power supply:

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/custom-units/products/200w-linear-power-supply?variant=22466785860

The unit can power multiple devices and is very low noise. Using the variable plug set to 7VDC would have 2mV of ripple noise.

that is HD plex which the OP and I both have. I never used it on a mR or uR tough...and it can actually power 5 devices simultaneously, there is also the 5v usb-c output

the 100 watt v3 version is doing a fine job in my system powering a switch, a ssd, jcat femto usb and jcat netcard.  

12 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

I believe that SE PS has been discontinued.  I think that's why @m3lraaHnevetS recommended trying to locate a used one.

the PS in the SE is an upgraded version of the discontinued Signature PS (SPS) so if you want the ultimate SQ from your mR or uR a used SPS is the way to go .

If you want the ultimate SQ from a Sonore renderer get the SE. imho and experience

I am not really interested in an HD flex solution....

Okay, I have narrowed it down to these 2:

https://www.teddypardo.com/powersupplies/teddy7-2.html

and this:

https://ciaudio.com/product/vdc•7-mkii-upgrade-power-supply/

The Teddy Pardo is $369 and the CI Audio is $329. I don't have specs yet on the Teddy Pardo but the CI Audio PS runs at about 2 microvolts of noise. That is pretty damn quiet.

17 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

Teddy Pardo says his power supply noise level is below one microvolt. That's impressive!

That's all ACADEMIC though, isn't it ??? (at least according to you)

You claimed elsewhere that you only needed >60dB rejection, and rejected an HDPlex PSU that didn't measure well enough !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

That's all ACADEMIC though, isn't it ??? (at least according to you)

You claimed elsewhere that you only needed >60dB rejection, and rejected an HDPlex PSU that didn't measure well enough !

You have me confused with someone else. I don’t recall ever saying anything like that. I rejected the HDplex because I don’t need 4 power outputs. I want one output for a very specific purpose. 

You have me confused with someone else. I don’t recall ever saying anything like that. I rejected the HDplex because I don’t need 4 power outputs. I want one output for a very specific purpose.  

My apologies if I attributed something to you that another member said.

19 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

No worries. I just need to figure out which 7vdc 2A linear power supply to buy......I am leaning toward the Teddy Pardo. 

https://www.teddypardo.com/diy/teddyreg.html 

IRC, the original design (above) originated in Pink Fish Media. It uses a capacitance multiplier, as does the John Linsley Hood PSU add-on.

2 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Are you presenting this as a positive, negative, or just informational? 

The Teddy Pardo PSU I am looking at uses the "SuperTeddyReg".

Informational.

I knew that the Teddy Reg started out as a DIY project in  Pink Fish Media.

A DIY oriented member could build this earlier version, as it is fully documented.

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Informational.

I knew that the Teddy Reg started out as a DIY project in  Pink Fish Media.

A DIY oriented member could build this earlier version, as it is fully documented.

I don't think Teddy intended it as a DIY project. He used the community at Pink Fish (which he participated in anyway) to help him refine the design. He then released the final design to the DIY world, with the request that it not be used commercially to compete with his own commercial products that use the design (he didn't patent it for that reason). 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

The current draw of the micro/ultraRendu isn't really that high, and the strength of the devices are the low component noise levels of the board. DAR posted a recent article

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/11/allos-59-boss-dac-is-a-super-tasty-delicious-pi-maker/

Halfway down the article he says

" Moreover, I’ve heard it from more than one DAC manufacturer that a USB receiver chip will engage additional layers of otherwise dormant circuitry when faced with a super-jittery incoming data stream. Circuitry that when engaged introduces more electrical noise to the system. "

and then says pretty much the same argument about Ethernet frame errors. So power supply quietness seems key for best performance, the question is what's the valid comparison metric to judge a power supply by and is there more than 1?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

7 hours ago, firedog said:

I don't think Teddy intended it as a DIY project. He used the community at Pink Fish (which he participated in anyway) to help him refine the design. He then released the final design to the DIY world, with the request that it not be used commercially to compete with his own commercial products that use the design (he didn't patent it for that reason). 

Yes, he says that at the link I provided.

Actually, I don't see anything too special in that original design that would be worth a patent.

A LM317 voltage regulator followed by a Capacitance multiplier isn't anything new.

4 hours ago, davide256 said:

So power supply quietness seems key for best performance, the question is what's the valid comparison metric to judge a power supply by and is there more than 1?

Basically, the key ingredients for a good power supply are very low noise over a wide bandwidth, and a very low output impedance over a wide bandwidth . They should also prevent voltage spikes from being generated at their output due to sudden load changes.

The original generic Positive and Negative supply voltage regulators such as the LM317/337 (adjustable) and 78xx/79xx  (fixed voltage ) don't have a wide enough bandwidth to prevent SMPS ripple at 25kHZ and higher,  and it's harmonics, from almost sailing right through to the output; although a choke ( inductor) at their input in combination with the voltage regulator's input capacitor can be used to markedly reduce the level getting through.