IGNORED

Speakers height difference because of floor

Hello everyones,

I live since a month in a new house, and i love my new setup and sound quality here...

for the first time in my life, i can really blast my music like i want  :)

The floor on my right speaker is higher then on the left one (old house).

I adjusted the spikes like i could on the left to try to aligned the tweeters on both,

but it seems that there is still around one inch difference on them...

they are about 10 feet apart and i listen on sofa at maybe 13 feet.

My question to be simple since i won't move anything is...

Should i don't bother with an inch difference between the 2 speakers at 13 feet distance??

or should i remove the spikes on the right one to be aligned with the speaker on the left still with his spikes??

Is tweeter height is more important for my hearing or it will change for less

to have one speaker on spikes and the other directly on floating wood floor.

Thank you for reading,

RunHomeSlow.

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

thank you Ralf11 for responding...

Before moving i had no spikes, they were directly on floating floor...

small rubber are already there on speakers to high them a bit.

like you said small difference in height don't affect much, so should i remove then all spikes and sit the speakers on their rubbers with still an inch of difference... in my Focal sheet for setting speakers it seems if i understand well, this is better on wood flood to have no spikes, but with carpet better with spikes.

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

the speaker makes sound by a voice coil (a motor) moving a big cone back and forth; also it is in a cabinet so that vibrates too

all of this tends to move the whole thing a little - when it moves, it modulates the sound from the speaker that you want to hear causing distortion

the spikes tend to prevent this movement of the whole cabinet - which would otherwise be greater on carpet than a solid wood floor

ribbons & electrostatic speakers make sound by moving a very light flat sheet - and radiate to the rear and the front so don't benefit (at least not much) from spikes

carpet has another effect tho and it is an advantage - it tends to diffuse and absorb high freq.s that a wood floor would bounce at you - that's why I put a rug between my and my Maggie panels

Thank again,

I think you seen my setup before on old appartment, pretty much the same here with carpet in front

except the little difference in height on right speaker... no place never perfect!!

It's really a pain in the ... to remove all those spikes on 5 cents money (not to make holes on the floor)

to see if i can hear a difference between no spikes or with. the speakers now with spikes are on level,

they are stable too, but if i remove the spikes, the right one don't stand straight (sturdy, but with an angle)

with the spikes on, they are straight on level now, but less stable if you know what i mean...

if i came across near and put my hand on them, they could slide from the 5 cents money...

but with no spikes they won't move, rubbers are more grabbing the floor... Arf!

sorry for my english... i find my self funny when reading back  :)

IMG_2553.JPG

oh no...

now i forgot to mention the left one has a check behind him

to make the back wall nearer then the right one...

Damn, the more i talk the more it is difficult to see

spikes or not,

speakers height difference,

back wall nearer on one side.

It is a good thing i like the sound already :)

Just now, RunHomeSlow said:

oh no...

now i forgot to mention the left one has a check behind him

to make the back wall nearer then the right one...

Damn, the more i talk the more it is difficult to see

spikes or not,

speakers height difference,

back wall nearer on one side.

It is a good thing i like the sound already :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the 1 inch difference. As you have already mentioned, your rear and side walls are of different distance which would make much more difference than the 1 inch height difference. Furthermore, no listeners could fix their head straight with both ears aligned horizontally perfect when listening to music for enjoyment.

Too much technicallity involved... ?

i think i put them at best distance, forgetting difference from back wall, the best is to set them equal distance from my listening ears position?

3 minutes ago, STC said:

Get a channel balance test track and setup where you get pin point center image. 

is this something free to try or it involves microphones and things like that??

could it be done easily with phone software kind of... not have money freely available  :)

IMO--(I'm not an acoustics expert.)

Use the spikes.

The difference in distance to your ears would make the most difference--balance, imaging.

The difference from the wall would make the next most--probably in the bass, and probably not much given the photo.

The difference from the floor would make some difference--again probably in the bass.

The difference in height would make the least difference.

Note--If you can't hear it, it doesn't make a difference (for you, with your equipment, in your room).:)

1 hour ago, RunHomeSlow said:

is this something free to try or it involves microphones and things like that??

could it be done easily with phone software kind of... not have money freely available  :)

I find this to be useful. It is free but worth paying for the higher rez files.

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_ledr.php

12 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

IMO--(I'm not an acoustics expert.)

Use the spikes.

The difference in distance to your ears would make the most difference--balance, imaging.

The difference from the wall would make the next most--probably in the bass, and probably not much given the photo.

The difference from the floor would make some difference--again probably in the bass.

The difference in height would make the least difference.

Note--If you can't hear it, it doesn't make a difference (for you, with your equipment, in your room).:)

Thank you GregWormald,

IMO--(I'm not an acoustics expert.) Where is that thumbs up icon :)

The difference in distance to your ears would make the most difference--balance, imaging. Where is that thumbs up icon :)

Not much given the photo?? but as i understand that now... i already have a plugin with Audirvana Plus to add more bass to my taste.

Thank you,

this is exactly what i feel, but my first question knowing all that, is that can i my listening pleasure more beautiful... i'm not an expert or trying to be, but just asking questings to get the most of what i can :)

9 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

your English is good enough

what is you native language?

you might add another stick mat (blinds for windows) to the bare part of that wall on the left

ASC will tell you the rug should be bigger and go under the carpet

...if that is the current room

Ralf11... i think your are too much humour for my knowledge, im from Montreal, Quebec, Canada... french first speaking.

Zappa is complicated for native french, but you are a bit more :)

your points are good, but in the end, we're never sure if you are teasing kinda of humour  :)

i do appreciate all answers to my questions here...

some people are not as specialized in that field or else to users here,

but i can recognize badly remastered albums i knew for long time,

but not much from 1000$ cables from mine regular ones  :)

i have a 5000 CAN $ mountain bike, but i'm not an expert in that field too,

i ride and i love it... see my signature thing here...

that is all important to me...

Thank you all responding,
RunHomeSlow.

P.S.; If you don't know, RunHomeSlow is from a Movie music score that Frank Zappa did in his ealrly years before behing ''famous'' :)

37 minutes ago, STC said:

I find this to be useful. It is free but worth paying for the higher rez files.

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_ledr.php

thank you again, will check that later...

have to sleep now... tuesday has already begin :)

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

Salut!  I am originally from Louisiana (but English speaking).

Let me sleep Ralf11. Bonne Nuit :)

If I would worry about uneven floor position of two speakers I would probably try to add some wood plate beneath the speaker which stands in lower position to compensate the height difference. I will try to keep spikes and tilt the same. 

Is it possible to move both speakers (with sound system) slightly right to avoid the rear wall difference?

2 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

If I would worry about uneven floor position of two speakers I would probably try to add some wood plate beneath the speaker which stands in lower position to compensate the height difference. I will try to keep spikes and tilt the same. 

Is it possible to move both speakers (with sound system) slightly right to avoid the rear wall difference?

That might be good to do... put something under the lower one.

No i can't move nothing... perfect setup with sofa center... at the corner of the leather chair and the sofa,

there is a corner wall there... my room for sleeping is there...

IMG_2558.JPG

Thank you all for suggestions...

i'm i better removing all the spikes on both speakers on floating wood floors

or it is better with for sound ?

I thought that spikes were for stabilizing speakers on thick carpet, not needed on wood floor.

Edit: they have already rubbers that i can't remove under each speaker

1 hour ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Thank you all for suggestions...

i'm i better removing all the spikes on both speakers on floating wood floors

or it is better with for sound ?

I thought that spikes were for stabilizing speakers on thick carpet, not needed on wood floor.

Edit: they have already rubbers that i can't remove under each speaker

The spikes are there so the speaker boxes don't move at all when the drivers piston in and out. You can check by rapping firmly or pushing on the front, back and sides of the boxes while lightly touching the box with the other hand. Any movement = bad.

Try levelling the speakers but I doubt you'll hear any difference. Your ears probably aren't level either! The degree of toe-in or out and the tilt will likely make more difference. The amount of tilt to compensate for one inch at 8 feet or so is pretty small--less than 1 degree if my calculations are correct.

I'm going to be radical and suggest the uneven wall behind the speakers is more likely to even out bass reflections than harm the sound.