IGNORED

ECM on Tidal

realhifi

9 minutes ago, matthias said:

There is a comment from Audiostream about audible watermarking on ECM streaming:

https://www.audiostream.com/comment/517715#comment-517715

Matt

Thanks for this!!!  I just gave it a listen, and I can hear that "picket fence" effect.  If that's done intentionally, shame on ECM!

With this information, I think it's safe to say some (?) 16/44 content on Tidal is less than CD quality.

3 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Thanks for this!!!  I just gave it a listen, and I can hear that "picket fence" effect.  If that's done intentionally, shame on ECM!

With this information, I think it's safe to say some (?) 16/44 content on Tidal is less than CD quality.

You are welcome, Samuel.

Would be interesting to compare the same piece of music on Qobuz. Maybe Tidal allows watermarking on redbook content to promote the MQA version of the same music.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

4 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Haven’t heard that one, but I’d hesitate making a general conclusion. The Coltrane album `’Traneing In” sounds like it has pops and clicks. I complained to Tidal, and they gave me a link to their Beta app for Windows. Over that the sound is better. 

I listened to a bunch of ECM tunes today on Tidal and didn’t hear that effect. Tidal for me sometimes sounds not as good as Redbook, and other times just as good. I’m sure there are multiple reasons.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

8 hours ago, matthias said:

Maybe Tidal allows watermarking on redbook content to promote the MQA version of the same music.

OK, that can be checked. So I am preparing a few things to see whether it makes a difference.

Btw, I listened to the Avisha Cohen's and the Bill Frisell all in MQA, and only thought that I could be turned into liking that type of ("Garbarek") classical. IOW all over good. I hope I'm not deaf.

I also hope that this all is not true ...

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

• 11 months later...

Yes, and it started at least several days ago, I don't know exactly how far back. I just know that I haven't been able to play some of them. Haven't checked them all. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

35 minutes ago, firedog said:

Yes, and it started at least several days ago, I don't know exactly how far back. I just know that I haven't been able to play some of them. Haven't checked them all. 

Thanks @firedog. Did you notve that on other ECM artists too? Or is it just JArrett? It could be an Artist reqeust to pul from streaming services. 

1 hour ago, ale76 said:

Thanks @firedog. Did you notve that on other ECM artists too? Or is it just JArrett? It could be an Artist reqeust to pul from streaming services. 

So far it isn't all of Jarrett. I did a quick check of other ECM stuff and it also seems to be randomly missing. No pattern I can see.