IGNORED

RaspTOUCH DigiONE

Charente

Just launched by Audiophonics in France ... a complete network streamer with the Allo DigiONE S/PDIF interface, including RCA and BNC outputs.

A simple, neat looking unit with a Touch Screen. 

thumbs%20allo%20DIGIONE%2016-9.jpg

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/network-audio-players/rasptouch-digione-touch-screen-reader-with-digital-output-p-12429.html

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

Given the good reviews of the DigiONE, I wonder whether this unit would simplify my front-end and give similar (or better) results.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

On 13.11.2017 at 4:35 PM, Charente said:

Given the good reviews of the DigiONE, I wonder whether this unit would simplify my front-end and give similar (or better) results.

That was for me the main motivation for trying the DigiOne! I hoped that I could replace my fitPC3 + M2Tech HiFace Evo and their Teddy Pardo PSUs with just a DigiOne and its PSU. In my case it did not work out. While the DigiOne is good, it is not as good as my current source. I would be ready to pay a multiple of the price of the DigiOne for a Raspberry Pi hat that matches or exceeds the quality of my current system.

Quite a feat for a small USB DAC ... what PSU did you try with the DigiOne ? I'm thinking that if I got the RaspTouch Pi/DigiOne, it would probably need a decent LPS.What are people using to power Pi's ?

9 minutes ago, Charente said:

Quite a feat for a small USB DAC ... what PSU did you try with the DigiOne ? I'm thinking that if I got the RaspTouch Pi/DigiOne, it would probably need a decent LPS.What are people using to power Pi's ?

Yes, I have to say that I am very satisfied with RPi + DigiOne and I can imagine that, on a different system, the combination might sound better than the fitPC3 + M2Tech one. I have tested the RPi + DigiOne with an ifi 5V PSU and with an Anker 5V/20Ah powerbank. In both cases the presentation was more engaging than with the fitPC3 + M2Tech but also a little bit too harsh. The difference was very clear in the violins: in the high tones, the violins sounded more natural (to me) with the fitPC3 + M2Tech combo. I have a Naim Super Lumina between the nDAC and the SN2, it is conceivable that the results would have been a bit different with a standard interconnector. My rationale for testing with the ifi 5V PSU was that, according to reports, the DigiOne should perform quite well with this PSU. If the results had matched those of the fitPC3 + M2Tech combination, I would have later improved the PSU of RPi + DigiOne with a 5V Teddy pardo or with a JS-2. As I wrote, I would be happy to buy a device for, say, ten times the price of the DigiOne if this would allow me to simplify my setup. Ideally, this should consist of a single box with wireless, local HDD, support for Raspbian or Debian and outstanding SPDIF output. Since no company seems to be interested in building such device, the next step will be to replace my M2Tech with a Mutec or perhaps with the upcoming ultraDigital. Best, nbpf    

Perhaps I should add that I have tested the RPi + DigiOne combination with a minimal Raspbian and with HDMI output and Bluetooth interface disabled. My files were on an external HDD connected to the RPi via USB. I haven't noticed any difference by getting rid of the HDD and moving (some of) the files to the RPi's microSD card.   

Thank-you for your thoughts and experience impressions ... At the price of the RaspTouch, it still appeals, not least that I won't need a computer or phone (or wifi) to control it near the audio area. There does not appear to be a similar spec/priced unit available. The only other unit I like the better is the Nativ VITA but that is considerably more expensive. At least with the RaspTouch, one could upgrade the DigiOne hat when something else comes along ... that also appeals to me.

2 minutes ago, Charente said:

Thank-you for your thoughts and experience impressions ... At the price of the RaspTouch, it still appeals, not least that I won't need a computer or phone (or wifi) to control it near the audio area. There does not appear to be a similar spec/priced unit available. The only other unit I like the better is the Nativ VITA but that is considerably more expensive. At least with the RaspTouch, one could upgrade the DigiOne hat when something else comes along ... that also appeals to me.

I agree it looks nice but I would still prefer to have the RPi + DigiOne in a small case and the control point in my hands. This makes it possible to shut down the HDMI output on the RPi and to further reduce the power supplied to the RPi and the risk of interferences between the different components. I have no DIY know-how but I do not very much like the way the connectors of the DigiOne are wired to the BNC and RCA connectors of the box. Also, I am not sure what is the added value of the box: the DigiOne and the RPi const about 140 EUR, the box about 350 EUR. Anyway, I hope that the DigiOne will become more and more popular, we definitely need companies that build these kind of devices ...