IGNORED

Dragonfly Red DAC and iPhone iOS 11.1.1

Hi. Been using the dragonfly red DAC with my iPhone 6s Plus using the official smaller apple lightning to USB connector. 

It has been working fine until the latest iOS 11.1.1 update. Now it won’t power on and I get this accessory is not compatible with this iPhone error message. 

Tried unplugging and replugging it, restarting my iPhone, even erasing and restoring my iPhone. Nothing works. Dragonfly does work with other computers so it’s limited to iPhone with 11.1.1. 

Wondering if this is happening to other users too , or if there is a fix available. 

Pretty crummy for apple to break this feature and render this product useless. 

Thanks 

mike

• 3 months later...

I too have dragonfly red...

how did you determine your cable was faulty?  Are you able to use the original connection kit adapter?  I am currently using the larger, newer apple camera connection kit v3 that allows you to charge while you listen.  I'd rather use the smaller, older CCK because it is sleeker for "on the go" use.  

What's your current setup? 

I should relate a couple of experiences here.

One, I have the small CCK and larger CCK adapters, and one day while using the larger CCK, I got a message that the CCK needed to be updated.  I couldn't get rid of the message permanently, so I let it update, and it rendered the adapter useless - non-working.  I had to swap that at the Apple Store.

Two, I am able to use the DF Red with my iPhone 7-plus, but I get too many "glitches", and I have every last communication setting turned off down to the lowest level, except the phone itself.  No sharing, privacy off, no background updates -everything off.  But I do use the DF Red with my iPod Touch 128 gb, by setting Airplane mode and also (just in case) having everything including WiFi and Bluetooth disabled. The iPod and DF Red are glitch-free.

Since my original post, everything has been working fine with DF red and iPhone 6s Plus 

firstly, I determined the cable was faulty because the df red worked on my computer USB but not with either of my iPhones using the cable. At the Apple store I tried another cable and it worked. 

Secondly with regards to the smaller vs larger cables, here’s the deal I got from the audio quest rep. The smaller cable works, but is no longer officially supported. The larger cable that allows for simultaneous charging is officially supported and supposedly will provide better sound. But you should not use it to play music and charge at the same time because the will introduce interference. 

So do both cables are working for me now. The only glitches i have is sometimes when I insert the df red, the iPhone restarts itself. 

Hope this helps

mike 

11 hours ago, dalethorn said:

Two, I am able to use the DF Red with my iPhone 7-plus, but I get too many "glitches", and I have every last communication setting turned off down to the lowest level, except the phone itself.  No sharing, privacy off, no background updates -everything off.  But I do use the DF Red with my iPod Touch 128 gb, by setting Airplane mode and also (just in case) having everything including WiFi and Bluetooth disabled. The iPod and DF Red are glitch-free.

thx Dale.  Is the quote above posted with respect to the smaller CCK?  I have no issues with the ipod touch 6th gen, DFR, and big CCK as expected.  But hoping you are referring to the smaller CCK working fine with ipod touch.  Also, if that's the case - are you on the latest ios firmare release?  I've read where ios 10 may work but 11 gives issues.  

PS, I'm a recent subscriber to your youtube channel.  Got a kick out of the vertical binaural videos!

2 hours ago, buonassi said:

thx Dale.  Is the quote above posted with respect to the smaller CCK?  I have no issues with the ipod touch 6th gen, DFR, and big CCK as expected.  But hoping you are referring to the smaller CCK working fine with ipod touch.  Also, if that's the case - are you on the latest ios firmare release?  I've read where ios 10 may work but 11 gives issues.  

PS, I'm a recent subscriber to your youtube channel.  Got a kick out of the vertical binaural videos!

This is interesting.  I saw this post and decided to do a test, since I haven't been using the phone with the DF Red for any indoor listening.  So tonight I used both small CCK adapters, and the large CCK adapter.  I played 3 minutes of music with each adapter (9 minutes subtotal) with 2 different headphones (9+9 == 18 minutes total), and did not have any glitches.

So now I don't know why I had the problem, and it wasn't just a one-time problem - it happened enough to cause me to give up.  It could have been the headphone, as I change headphones a lot.  It could have been the prior iOS - I'm on 11.2.5 now.  So no idea, but everything works at this point.  I didn't try to analyze the difference in sound between the large and small adapters, but the last time I listened for a difference, it wasn't significant.  I do know that the large adapter at least has rewriteable firmware on board, so who knows what difference that makes, or what's inside the smaller adapters?  No idea.