IGNORED

MQA Off-Topic Spinoff

Abtr

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

I haven’t seen anyone say “DR [is] a main priority in mastering.” Your putting words in people’s mouths, projecting. 

You'd probably have many fans here if you’d take everyone seriously and as individuals, without projecting some weird audiophile stereotype on us. 

We all understand the company paying the bills has the final say with respect to the sound of a record. If they didn’t they’d move on to the next engineer. 

We like dynamic range. That’s not a bad thing. We own many versions of the same recordings, all with different DR values. For the most part, those with higher DR sound better. We love music. Better sounding recordings help us love music even more. We feel closer to the artist. When Miles Davis, Jack Johnson, or Eddie Vedder sound like they are in our rooms, it’s an amazing experience. 

Someone was spouting DR numbers as if that was a common thing ere, and I didn't see a lot of countering him.  So I did.  Stop measuring.  It's just dumb.

Modern music is DISTORTED and NOT DYNAMIC.  Sorry, had to yell.   Seems so obvious.

Having said that, it can sound great.  My records sound great.  Defined as the best positive compromise of all parties in the process.

If you need more dynamics, listen to older records. 

I don't smash like a Vlado Meller and some others, and my loud records move air which is key to emotion, not DR.    I am happy with that middle ground.

2 minutes ago, Fair Hedon said:

Understood. From your posts I am aware you do listen to a lot of modern music, which is great.

I come across to many audiophiles who have not bought a single album released after 1985 and time does not stand still. 

I try to consume as much music as possible. Music makes me feel good. I expose my 5 year old daughter to everything from 1940 to today. 

On on the way to the store this evening she was singing The Killers newish track The Man. We love that song. Great stuff. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I try to consume as much music as possible. Music makes me feel good. I expose my 5 year old daughter to everything from 1940 to today. 

On on the way to the store this evening she was singing The Killers newish track The Man. We love that song. Great stuff. 

Nice!!! They and their contemporaries...Interpol, Editors, Keane, etc forged a new sonic path, and it either get on board or stick to Dark Side Of The Moon...hah....

52 minutes ago, Brian Lucey said:

Your taste is stuck in time

We are "old" when we are stuck.

That's sad.

I like all eras of music.

There are times on this thread when I need to cleanse my soul and this one of them. I'm going put the top down, turn up the volume on Live at a Flamingo Hotel and drive home in a  beautiful Phoenix evening. That ought to do it.

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’m 41. Your ageism is pretty sad. I have a preference for real sounding instruments. That’s got nothing to do with age. 

I’ve had the new Taylor Swift on repeat for days. I love it. Gaga’s Joanne record is amazing, can’t stop listening. Big fan of Nicki Minaj and Kendrick Lamar. Earlier today I was listening to Billie Holliday and reading as much as I could about her life. Being at Capitol Studios a few weeks ago was an amazing experience because Nat King Cole is one of my all time favorites. 

Pigeon holing me only shows your ignorance Brian. 

Look brother, you started this with your dynamic range elitism, now you listen to modern music that's at -5? 

I won't reply to you further.  You are talking in circles just to win an argument.

12 hours ago, Brian Lucey said:

Your taste is stuck in time

We are "old" when we are stuck.

That's sad.

I like all eras of music.

Brian-

I don't expect hip-hop to be mixed and mastered like Jazz or even Rock from the 60's.

I do find it sad when an artist like Paul Simon releases an album that is so volume compressed that it is difficult to listen to all the way through and has the subtlety compressed out of the music. He IS using real instruments, even acoustic ones.

It makes no sense to "make everything equally and very loud" in that kind of music. The listener ends up not hearing subtleties that surely at one point were part of the artistic idea of the music.

So making the record very loud comes from insecurity, or some idea that the record must sound "modern"? If so I guess that is why modern remasters of older music are also remastered that way. But that modern sound comes at the cost of obscuring some of the information/artistic intent of the artist at the time the record was made. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Probably because the market for audiophiles is so small that it is just not worth it to the record companies. I have cut down on my purchases of high res files because of the compression and loudness. The artists want their recordings loud in the pop world no doubt about it. If the loudness isn’t there the tracks get lost on services like Spotify. I know from experience. I see it even in jazz the new John Pizzarelli release coming to mind. Loud all the time, Bossa Nova to boot. Totally misses the point. I would love to see new pop and rock given audiophile mastering. Not going to happen  though. SAD.

I don't mind the compression in certain genres. For example in heavy metal or types of music that I play in the background as I work on something.

But I do mind it for tracks I want to sit down and listen to. Tracks that I know could sound so much more organic if they were not compressed heavily. Lindsey Stirling's albums are a good example. She is phenomenally talented and the music sounds great from a musicality perspective, but I know from listening to enough high res classical music that her violin could sound a lot more organic if the "Audiophile" versions of her tracks were available. I have purchased a CD,and listened to the same tracks on Spotify and there's not much to choose from them. High res downloads are not available (Onkyomusic and Qobuz both sell only 44.1, 16 bit), so I suspect the high res master is already compressed.

It is a sad thing, but something we just have to live with I suppose.

23 minutes ago, synn said:

But I do mind it for tracks I want to sit down and listen to. Tracks that I know could sound so much more organic if they were not compressed heavily. Lindsey Stirling's albums are a good example. She is phenomenally talented and the music sounds great from a musicality perspective, but I know from listening to enough high res classical music that her violin could sound a lot more organic if the "Audiophile" versions of her tracks were available. I have purchased a CD,and listened to the same tracks on Spotify and there's not much to choose from them. High res downloads are not available (Onkyomusic and Qobuz both sell only 44.1, 16 bit), so I suspect the high res master is already compressed.

Lindsey Stirling - Warmer In The Winter is available as 24/48 in Europe at Qobuz and HDtracks. ?

8 hours ago, Brian Lucey said:

If drivers, specifically larger low end drivers, "move air" then the kick and bass are not overly smashed.   This is not about the overall dynamic range ... it's more about the way the instruments maintain transients at any level of limiting or compression.  Louder records with less dynamic range can actually have more punch, if you do it right.

I understand this fully. And with the notice that it was my complaint (a couple of pages back) that Crime of The Century has a too high DR, I could tell Chris @The Computer Audiophile that it is exactly that one where drums (kick drum ahead) sound like paper. Odd eh ...

But @Brian Lucey, the sort of mistake you may make here (it would be a thinking mistake) is that where higher dynamics will overdrive the (bass) driver and only imply distortion instead of pushed air, this is a fault in the loudspeaker of concern; It is not fast enough.

Now of course you could try to tell us that 99% of even audiophiles don't use fast enough drivers, but that would be a bit of BS IMHO because with a solution like yours we don't even have the opportunity to fix it.

Your solution implies woolly bass, if that would be an English term for the opposite of taut.

I'd agree that for many a "slow down" solution could work out for the better, but once you start referring to the smash board top 100 ...

No. And never.

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

2 minutes ago, #Yoda# said:

Lindsey Stirling - Warmer In The Winter is available as 24/48 in Europe at Qobuz and HDtracks. ?

NIce.

I am in Europe, I will check it out. Not sure if it will be mastered any differently from what I heard on Spotify though.

I looked high and low for high res versions of her older albums. No luck.