IGNORED

TeraDak Linear ATX PSU: SMPSs suck.

GUTB

@GUTB Congrats , and welcome to the ATX/LPS world. I really don't know why but some are still follower on SMPS and trying to fix the issue. Now is time to compare ATX/LPS quality caps design etc. Do you do up sampling on HQPlayer? and what is the temp of the ATXLPS.

Also an suggestion, on your PPA use the ATXLPS also. Batt is ok if you don't step into complex and bigger music. I feel happy for you. I switch to ATXLPS 2 years ago. and couldn't turn back for SMPS no matter what other has found a way to improve SMPS

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:21 AM, marce said:

There are still likely to be POL SMPS's on board. Also a PC generates a lot of its won noise, this is why you can get spread spectrum DDR these days.

Marce

What is won noise ? :D

I find it very interesting that we still can't get the supposedly whiz kid  Software writers such as Speed Racer (?)  to fix the very long term problem of occasionally getting the order of letters we type out of sequence !

You almost certainly did NOT type won , you would have typed own

Correct ? 

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

20 minutes ago, marce said:

LOL I missed that one... I am terrible at typing.:(

Hi Marc

It wouldn't have been your fault. It is a common problem, that you will often  see.

Many of them are so obvious, that you know it couldn't have been your fault !

Regards

Alex

P.S.

A friend of mine uses a 300W HDPlex. We have previously found that it benefits substantially with a JLH PSU add-on (typically  4uV,or less,  noise). after it's Adjustable Output(s) to supply Regens or USB cards. It appears that it's output noise, although not too bad, could do with further improving.

I have been asked to make a larger current capacity JLH to feed his Uptone LPS-1 from the HDPlex adjustable output,(perhaps set to +7.5V) and we hope to trial it next Friday.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I did wonder, I thought it was just bad typing... Interesting i will watch out for it.

As an aside, we have Windows 10 at work, we have noticed with a new update that sometimes when working in one window, we get interactions in a another Window... This is all on Dell M6700 laptops, so we don't know whether its machine specific or due to the operating system. What it implies is that some mouse signals via the USB are getting fed to other open but inactive windows. We have noticed other issues with USB on these devices, and they are not cheep laptops. Having worked on real-time industrial networks in the past I know how bad the Windows operating system is at even pseudo multi tasking, so I suspect some problem with the control of the various windows. Its a bit off-putting when you are working in one window and another opens on your second screen. This only seems to happen when there is rapid mouse movements. 

2 hours ago, kilroy said:

I've had no luck with Teradak answering my emails about the cost of the TeraDak 380W PSU and shipping to the US. Could you please let me know? Am weighing that against the 400 W HDPlex unit.

It's about $515 after shipping. I could have sworn I paid $530 though.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TeraDak-380W-music-computer-PC-dedicated-power-supply-Pure-copper-Ring-transformer-big-power/32820250604.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.kMcvLQ

It works fine with no problems, except for a few things:

1. It hums, and it's loud enough to be perceptible from my listening position, although generally its drowned out by other ambient noise.

2. It's delicate. I accidentally hit the wrong switch in my listening room which turned on the ceiling fan...and caused my PC to crash.

3. Quality improvement is noticeable, but also relatively minor as compared to the fanless Seasonic Platinum. I don't know if that's because DC-DC conversion just mitigates quality gains no matter what, or if it's just because the TeraDak isn't the best, or maybe the long DC cables need shielding. I'd have to compare with others.

6 hours ago, marce said:

So it has EMC problems both emitted and susceptibility yet its an improvement...

The improvement is real. I had to test it back to back with the Seasonic to be sure. The improvement is hard to tell with pristine acoustic and jazz type recordings where the notes aren’t competing for the frequency space, but with complex tracks there was a increase in note separation and overall clarity. There’s probably an ultrasonic noise component to the subjective experience as well...but obviously that’s just a guess.

Even though the improvement is minor compared to my other tweaks/upgrades, it was that last nudge that seemed to finally push my system over the top of the divide between digital and analog.

• 2 months later...