IGNORED

Music Server Noisy USB Problem

genigo

I am an owner of a custom built music server with the following characteristics:

Hardware

USB (Sound) Card : SOtM USB Card tX-USBexp + clock SOtm sCLK 48.0

PC Case : HDPLEX H5

ATX DC Power Supply : HDPLEX HiFi 250W DC-ATX

External Power Supply : HDPLEX 100W Linear PSU

Motherboard : ASUS Z170M-Plus (Intel Z170 Chipset)

CPU : Intel Core i5-6400

RAM : Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2400MHz DDR4

HDD (OS): Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120 GB

HDD (Music Files): Western Digital RED 3TB

SDD SATA Data Cable: PACHANKO Red Mk2

Software

Operating System: Windows Server 2012 R2

Library Management: JRiver Media Center 23

Audio Player: JPLAY v6.2

Audio System

Amplifier : PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP

Speakers: Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand SE

DAC: Aqua La Voce S2 MKII

USB Cable : VOVOX vocalis IC

Interconnects: Nordost

When I boot the music server I get annoying PC noise (boot beeps, HDD movements, etc) coming out from the speakers (mainly the tweeter). The problem exists even if the DAC is powered off or the DAC input is not selected at the amplifier. When I disconnect the interconnects or the USB cable the noise cease to exist.

Any ideas or help is welcome

Thanks in advance

others are more knowledgable, but i think an ifi igalvanic3 will resolve this, but i am sure there are cheaper ways and doesn't really help in isolating what your problem is..

also curious if you have tried to just use the standard usb port instead of the usb on your card.

another thing to try, where i have seen "bleed-through" (or whatever it is called) ...try using one of those 3 prong to 2 prong power adapters  (eliminating the ground) just for a test.  (i later found that was an issue with wiring in a room addition, but that is the only time i have seen something similar to what you have described).  It took me to figure out why i would get usb noise in one room with a desktop, but not with a notebook....the notebook had only 2 prongs on the power supply.  I know this is a far fetch and probably not related, but something you can easily try.

image.thumb.png.e13b8262b717697749b7f602bd1b0ce8.png

....i will be watching this thread with curiosity, so keep us advised.

Sounds like a ground loop?  Can you disable the 5V Vbus to the DAC from the SOtM card?  If you DAC can operate without it, I would recommend doing that.  It's a red switch on the USB card. 

If not, try it after boot up after JRiver sees the DAC.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

2 minutes ago, genigo said:

Sorry,  in my first post I didn't mention that all devices are plugged to a Torus Power Tot MAX isolator. Nevertheless I have also tried without Torus (everything plugged to a Supra power distribution).

try the adapter...it will remove the ground and i "believe" (may be wrong), any possibility that it is a "ground loop" problem?  I believe It was the only thing that worked for me.....if that doesn't work swap one thing out at a time...last resort take your setup to your neighbors (grin)...i am sure you will find it with perseverance.

13 minutes ago, genigo said:

I tried to connect the DAC with my laptop and seems that the problem dissapears ! No hum, no noise just a quiet USB link

This is valuable information. This means from the DAC onward, there's no noise, good.

The problem lies in the music server. Noise coupled from the PC' internals is being picked up by the USB cable as conducted noise, which you hear. If you have an AM Radio, set it close to the PC, tune it off station at the high end of the band and listen. After each check the noise may increase/decrease, the radio will pick it up.

Several checks to do:

- Ensure the case and the motherboard are bonded, even add straps between each panel.

- Ground the 0V rail from the PC's power supply, use a braid if you can.

- Ensure the PC is fitted with an EMC filter and ground this device

- Tighten all case screws

Forget the cheater plug. The Torus is OK, it can stay in place. There is a standard 3 pin connector on the PC? 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

17 minutes ago, genigo said:

I tried to connect the DAC with my laptop and seems that the problem dissapears ! No hum, no noise just a quiet USB link

I know i thought it was my desktop in my situation, but it wasn't.

You can try taking your whole setup to your neighbors if you already tried the obvious of swapping cables, etc...

Does your laptop power cord have 2 prongs or 3?

if 2, try the adapter to your desktop.

A Clarification: Music Server is powered by a HDplex 100W external linear power supply (19V rail for the 250W DC-ATX internal power supply , 5V rail for the SSD and 9V rail for Sotm USB Card). The 250W DC-ATX powers motherboard, CPU and the 3TB WD HDD  

Both 100W external linear power supply and the 250W DC-ATX are shown below :

image.thumb.png.8ccfb70c00f17616631fab54fb148c02.pngimage.thumb.png.c6058c2f5c841534f2573866b33b8005.png 

image.jpeg

So are you the only one has issue? i don't believe so. Does hdplex have solution?

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

Totally obvious: Ground loop between the USB card and the rest of the computer due to the separate PSU rails and the way you are powering them.

Other possibility lies with your Prima Luna integrated amp.  Do you have any other source (RCA cables) besides your DAC connected to your amp?  If so, what is it and what is connected to that?  There must be a path back to your computer somewhere.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Other possibility lies with your Prima Luna integrated amp.  Do you have any other source (RCA cables) besides your DAC connected to your amp?  If so, what is it and what is connected to that?  There must be a path back to your computer somewhere.

The OP advised that substituting the HDPLEX PC with a laptop, the noise disappeared. If the laptop had two or three prongs on the power supply, wouldn't matter, there's sufficient strength in the noise from the HDPLEX to be treated as signal and amplified.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Problem solved by replacing the HDplex Linear PSU with a DELL laptop SMPS. With the HDPlex LPSU present the problem persisted even when I used only the 19V rail for power the PC (initially I removed the SSD and USB Card rails). 

Any ideas for replacing the SMPS with a decent combination of ATX power supply and an external Line PSU ?  The tot max power consumption of the Server is 160W.

2 hours ago, genigo said:

Problem solved by replacing the HDplex Linear PSU with a DELL laptop SMPS. With the HDPlex LPSU present the problem persisted even when I used only the 19V rail for power the PC (initially I removed the SSD and USB Card rails). 

Any ideas for replacing the SMPS with a decent combination of ATX power supply and an external Line PSU ?  The tot max power consumption of the Server is 160W.

I suspect it was the 250W DC-ATX  board.  I would get ahold of Larry and have it exchanged.   Would be nice to also confirm the 19V rail is correct, if you have a volt meter around.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)