IGNORED

Regulating LED brightness using headphone output

Recently I'm trying to design a circuit to regulating LED brightness using headphone output. My PCs headphone jack (green) outputs a 4Vpp (2V amplitude) sinusoidal signal at 100% output level set in the sound preferences. What kind of circuit would I need to drive a red LED (2.2V forward voltage, 20mA forward current) based on the voltage level present at the headphone jack?

The LEDs luminous intensity behaves linearly in the range from 0 to 30mA. My idea would be to balance the LED current like follows:

Soundcard output:

+2V: driving the LED with 30mA

0V: driving the LED with 15mA

-2V: driving the LED with 0mA

I experimented with a circuit that puts the signal in parallel to a 9V battery that provided DC bias voltage. And I also tried to use a BC547C npn transistor in combination with the 9V battery. Unfortunately unsuccessful. The outcome was always a offset of the LED current: e.g. +2V: 28mA, 0V: 22mA, -2V: 16mA

I was not able to balance the current through the LED as described above. I guess to achieve this, a much more elaborate circuit is needed.

Edit:

I would like to modulate the LED with the frequency of the audio signal.

A receiver catches the signal using a phototransistor.

I achieved the transmission using a simple Common-Emitter-Amplifier, the outcome was OK. But I want to make use of the whole LED intensity spectrum (0-30mA).

One simple circuit to do what I want is a rectification circuit. The chain of sub-circuits would look like:

Decoupler
Rectifier
buffer + bias op-amp
Filter
LED bias.
The decoupler will remove any DC component from the waveform.
The rectifier will convert from a ground-centered 4Vpp sine wave to a 2Vpp half-sinewave.
The buffer will reduce load on the laptop and should be connected to shift up the signal to be biased such that a max amplitude will present 30mA to the LED, and a min amplitude will present 0 - for this you will need to know the forward voltage drop of the LED.
The filter will convert from the half-sinewave to a DC rail.
The LED bias will be a simple resistor.

I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Are you trying to make the LED intensity follow the waveform of an actual audio signal, or are just using the headphone jack as a convenient signal generator? If you explained in a bit more detail what you're trying to achieve, we'll be able to offer better suggestions.