IGNORED

ECM now available for streaming on Qobuz and TIDAL - too good to be true?

Yes, I noticed two new ECM releases on QOBUZ streaming that popped up this week ... took me by surprise as well ! 

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

I was lucky to grow on a diet of ECM LPs in 70-80s. Some of my first purchased jazz LPs were from ECM catalogue. Keith Jarrett, Art Ensemble of Chicago, Terje Rypdal, John Abercrombie, Ralph Towner, Eberhard Weber, Chick Corea, etc., etc. It was a paragon of the sound quality which was not equaled by any of other recording labels of the time. Unfortunately, this pristine ECM sound was never quite reproduced by later CDs. This may be the reason that Mr. Eicher is not in a hurry to embrace current digital formats, for old recordings in particular. 

I've noticed several, as well. I thought it was limited to new releases but I just found Siwan (2009)...some new releases are still off limits. Perhaps it's just a screw-up or perhaps there's been a change of policy.  

iMac - iTunes(AIFF) - Squeeze 7.9- QOBUZ flac streamer - Vodafone Revolution Router - Transporter - Pathos Classic One MkIII - JM/Focal Daline 3 - dhLabs & Xindak xlr cables - Mapleshade header and footers - AppleTV3

I stumbled on an ECM New Series record on Apple Music the other day; it was a string quartet playing music by John Cage. It's the first I've seen, other than a compilation that was on Apple Music for a while then removed. I wonder if they have allowed some artists to opt for streaming. They certainly don't let any Keith Jarrett albums on the streaming services. 

I've long said that I'd pay $5 a month to stream the ECM catalog.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

I see seven albums on Tidal, 6 of which are some kind of  anthology/collection. So maybe a small change in policy, but not something groundbreaking. Not like they made Keith Jarrett's ECM catalog available for streaming. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 hours ago, firedog said:

I see seven albums on Tidal, 6 of which are some kind of  anthology/collection. So maybe a small change in policy, but not something groundbreaking. Not like they made Keith Jarrett's ECM catalog available for streaming. 

According to the information on the other thread here the groundbreaking will happen at the end of November, I hope it is true.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

On 11/5/2017 at 9:07 AM, Musicophile said:

In the past, ECM albums were never available for streaming to my knowledge. 

OMG!!! Love.

https://www.ecmrecords.com/catalogue/1501068700/blue-maqams-anouar-brahem

https://tidal.com/album/79640505

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

You guys prob saw this, but Keith Jarrett IS on TIDAL, and both redbook and MQA btw...

https://tidal.com/album/30045294

https://tidal.com/album/77619193

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

system pics

Keith Jarrett ECM also well represented on Qobuz !

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

Wow, now see albums I couldn’t see earlier today. Even some fairly new ones, that haven’t been made available for download yet (typically 6 months after disc release for ECM, but maybe this will change now, too).

Looks like the full Keith Jarrett ECM catalogue is at Tidal. Could be some country differences, I guess.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

22 hours ago, firedog said:

Looks like the full Keith Jarrett ECM catalogue is at Tidal. Could be some country differences, I guess.

Unfortunately not exactly... Eg The Köln Concert is tagged and there but the tracks are "unavailable". It seems though that it is moving forward.

system pics

Just now, miguelito said:

Unfortunately not exactly... Eg The Köln Concert is tagged and there but the tracks are "unavailable". It seems though that it is moving forward.

Spoke to soon! It's there now! And in MQA! Interesting. Not that I don't own a bazillion versions of this album... 

system pics

49 minutes ago, Enrok said:

curiously, ECM is not available in streaming Hi Res on Qobuz only FLAC but on Tidal ECM commes in master quality.

Not at all curious. Just a sign of what a lot of people have been predicting about MQA: part of the idea is to limit consumer hi-res access to MQA. 

It may also have something to do with Manfried Eicher's dislike of the streaming model: he doesn't want to put his best versions on streaming. 

Well the thing is a bit more complex, on Qobuz ECM albums are tagged HiRes and with the "sublime+" subscription you pay to have access to illimited HiRes streaming, so you expect to obtain ECM album at HIRes, in this case to be honest  Qobuz must remove the tag HiRes .

As to compare with Tidal, Qobuz quality was always  better than tidal, it is the first ocurence where Tidal gives a better sound.