IGNORED

Headphone amp for center channel only

Will this hurt anything?

I want to amplify the center channel (where most of speech is in video) from my AVReceiver to headphones for my wife with hearing deficit. Can I do this safely with a headamp? That is, will amplifying an already-amplified signal do any damage to any electronics?

Since the center channel is a single channel, and if the headphone amp is of the standard hifi type with two channel input (Left + Right), you just need an RCA splitter that duplicates the signal to two channels, so that both sides of the headphone receive sound.

2440720.jpg

Connect it to "Pre out - center" on the receiver, then a stereo RCA cable from the splitter to the headphone amp.

If you change the volume on the receiver, this will also affect the input level at the headphone amp. But of course the headphone volume can be changed seperately with the headphone amp.

Claude

9 hours ago, coot said:

Will this hurt anything?

I want to amplify the center channel (where most of speech is in video) from my AVReceiver to headphones for my wife with hearing deficit. Can I do this safely with a headamp? That is, will amplifying an already-amplified signal do any damage to any electronics?

You should worry more about damage to the ears than damage to the components.