IGNORED

Sonore ultraDigital v2.0

59 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

To be fair to JR here, those comparisons generally come from customers in due time.

I think Sonore have a 30 day returns policy (correct me if I'm wrong) so you can always try, risk free.

Sure, I'm not arguing that manufacturers should provide comparisons of their product, of course! These will come from users and reviewers. My post was answering the specific question posted by mikey8811 of whether the device had been compared to the Iso Regen. The point that I was trying to make is that the upcoming device will have to be compared to other USB to SPDIF and USB to i2s interfaces, not to the Regen which is a USB to USB interface.

24 minutes ago, nbpf said:

Sure, I'm not arguing that manufacturers should provide comparisons of their product, of course! These will come from users and reviewers. My post was answering the specific question posted by mikey8811 of whether the device had been compared to the Iso Regen. The point that I was trying to make is that the upcoming device will have to be compared to other USB to SPDIF and USB to i2s interfaces, not to the Regen which is a USB to USB interface.

Absolutely agreed.

1 hour ago, nbpf said:

Actually I disagree. I am only interested in the device if it provides an improvement sonically to what I am currently using (safe to say that is the case for most of us).

I am currently using an Aries via the USB output via a LPS 1 powered  ISO Regen to my DAC.  My DAC has an I2S input which I understand is better than USB. So I am only interested in the device if it is sonically better than what I currently have via a ISO Regen'd USB. I am not interested in SPDIF nor AES/EBU which the Aries already has as outputs. If comparisons unequivocally point to a better sound then I can jettison the ISO Regen and replace it with the Ultra Digital and a HDMI cable.

I hope this clarifies where I am coming from. I'm not really interested in academic comparisons to other USB to SPDIF converters. I had considered the Singxer F1 but was told I would have to defeat the inbuilt linear power supply for it to sound at its best (which I think is silly).

16 minutes ago, mikey8811 said:

Actually I disagree. I am only interested in the device if it provides an improvement sonically to what I am currently using (safe to say that is the case for most of us).

I am currently using an Aries via the USB output via a LPS 1 powered  ISO Regen to my DAC.  My DAC has an I2S input which I understand is better than USB. So I am only interested in the device if it is sonically better than what I currently have via a ISO Regen'd USB. I am not interested in SPDIF nor AES/EBU which the Aries already has as outputs. If comparisons unequivocally point to a better sound then I can jettison the ISO Regen and replace it with the Ultra Digital and a HDMI cable.

I hope this clarifies where I am coming from. I'm not really interested in academic comparisons to other USB to SPDIF converters. I had considered the Singxer F1 but was told I would have to defeat the inbuilt linear power supply for it to sound at its best (which I think is silly).

I understand your point but I am afraid that your question can only be answered by yourself once the device will become available.

Each of us obviously has very specific interests and expectations. For instance, I am interested in the device's SPDIF output. You are interested in its i2s output. The question of whether the ultraDigital (or, in fact, any other similar device) does improve my/your specific current system can finally only be decided by me/you.

However, the question of how a device compares to its competitors can be answered by systematic comparisons. And for such comparisons to be meaningful, certain conditions have to be met which is what I was trying to spell out. 

It goes without saying that these comparisons, even when carefully done, can only be taken as guidelines for specific choices. But they can be very useful. Thus, for instance, if you knew that the ultraDigital performs better than any other USB to i2s interface, all you would have to do is to test it in your system. By contrast, if you do not know how the ultraDigital compares to other i2s interfaces, finding out that it improves your system would not tell you very much: another device could bring even better improvements, perhaps at lower costs.

Thus, it seems to me that careful and systematic comparisons between similar devices is more or less the best information that we can hope to get to guide our specific choices.

By the way, the Hydra Z also seems to have i2s outputs over HDMI. Will the ultraDigital be better, worse or as good as the Z? 

7 hours ago, mikey8811 said:

I think you answered your own question when you said, "My DAC has an I2S input which I understand is better than USB." Really the only opinion that should matter is your own. Far to many times I see people hang on very word someone said about a product....right or wrong. 

11 hours ago, oneguy said:

This would be interesting to pit against the Singxer SU-1. I hope the price doesn’t break the bank. 

We just thought it would be nice to offer customers a Sonore digital converter that matched the look of the ultraRendu:) 

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

We just thought it would be nice to offer customers a Sonore digital converter that matched the look of the ultraRendu:) 

Well if you can do that and provide a better product then you may have a winner on your hands :)

Between the two LPS-1’s and my ultraRendu this would complete the look of having 4 of the same chassis sitting next to each other :D 

Will the isolation provided by the UltraDigital in theory block high frequency noise generated by an SPMS upstream in the chain (example iFi powering an Ultrarendu)? 

Just curious if moving an Sbooster to the UltraDigital and then powering the UltraRendu with SMPS is ok? Or is an LPS on both still the best? 

3 minutes ago, oneguy said:

He may have meant no Black Friday deals. I really hope I’m wrong though as that would be a great offer for early adopters. 

Tomorrow we will see ... anyway, good that Sonore managed to bring out the ultraDigital before the end of the year! I am looking forward to see how it compares to the Eitr and to the MC-3+ USB.  

4 hours ago, Cxp said:

Will the isolation provided by the UltraDigital in theory block high frequency noise generated by an SPMS upstream in the chain (example iFi powering an Ultrarendu)? 

Just curious if moving an Sbooster to the UltraDigital and then powering the UltraRendu with SMPS is ok? Or is an LPS on both still the best? 

If you are worried about that then you need to shut the DC neg terminal to AC ground per John's grounding technique. We are going to provide Y-cables for use with linear supplies like the sBooster. We are also going to source a small inexpensive linear supply with dual transformers and dual outputs.