vortecjr

Sonore ultraDigtial

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

I would use an external USB to analog converter and set the Marantz to bypass mode so it only amplifies the signal.

Not sure I understand... the ND8006 isn't a pre/pro, it's a CD/streamer/DAC so there's no amplification being applied to the signal. 

1 hour ago, JFHSQT said:

Not sure I understand... the ND8006 isn't a pre/pro, it's a CD/streamer/DAC so there's no amplification being applied to the signal. 

Just try with a Singxer or ultraDigital or any well known converter. 

And the USPCB. 

Is exchanging the ND8006 into a DAC a possible option 😀 ?

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Just try with a Singxer or ultraDigital or any well known converter. 

And the USPCB. 

Is exchanging the ND8006 into a DAC a possible option 😀 ?

I think to get to a noticeable "next level" improvement in sound quality over the ND8006's DAC I'd probably have to go with a Yggy and ultraRendu and ultraDigital... that puts me at about $4,000 all-in versus the $1200 for the ND8006. Beyond that I'm looking at $5K + units like Auralic and Lumin which is way more than my budget. My preferred sound profile is musical and engaging rather than detailed and clinical so boxes like the Brooklyn 3 are probably going to get me a different sound than what I'm after. I've read good things about the Yggy and it does have 2 RCA outs, which is something I need (I feed analog outs to a Luxman tube preamp and an Anthem MRX 720 for bass management)... I am not opposed to trying that out, but it's a big price jump.

4 hours ago, JFHSQT said:

Anthem MRX 720

What stops you from feed UltraRendu with a converter direct into that beast ?

Also, are you aware of HAF and the possibilities Roon offer there ?

Luxman tube is nice. The last ting you should remove.😀

So much fun you can have by just adding quality tubes.

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

What stops you from feed UltraRendu with a converter direct into that beast ?

Also, are you aware of HAF and the possibilities Roon offer there ?

Luxman tube is nice. The last ting you should remove.😀

So much fun you can have by just adding quality tubes.

The ND8006 has a better engineered DAC implementation than the Anthem, plus I only use the Anthem for home theater, and I use the Luxman CL-40 and PrimaLuna ProLogue for music. 

I have seem to have solved my problems, although unfortunately they don't involve the uRendu... I found that using my Oppo 205 as a Roon endpoint sending SPDIF Coax into the Marantz DAC into the Luxman -> Prima combo offers the best sound of any options I've tested over the past several weeks. I had originally planned on selling the 205, but I've found out any profit I would make would go back into additional endpoints, power supplies, and/or more expensive DAC/Streamer combos.

8 hours ago, JFHSQT said:

I found that using my Oppo 205 as a Roon endpoint sending SPDIF Coax into the Marantz DAC

This tells us that a solution with the UltraRendu and a SPDIF converter most likely is the best way to beat Heos. And mission accomplished. 

And yes, you’re right, selling the Oppo will need you to spend money on a preferably modified  Singxer SU-1 (Or an UltraDigital) and a LPS-1.2 and a conversion kit from Ghent or j

But you’re not selling your UltraRendu, or ?

On 9/9/2018 at 2:50 AM, R1200CL said:

This tells us that a solution with the UltraRendu and a SPDIF converter most likely is the best way to beat Heos. And mission accomplished. 

And yes, you’re right, selling the Oppo will need you to spend money on a preferably modified  Singxer SU-1 (Or an UltraDigital) and a LPS-1.2 and a conversion kit from Ghent or j

But you’re not selling your UltraRendu, or ?

I did decide to stick with the Oppo 205 as a streamer with SPDIF into the ND8006, which would keep me from spending any more money, and unfortunately I returned the ultraRendu for a refund. Just couldn't see getting rid of the 205 and having to spend any profit on even more equipment just to get back to where I was.