IGNORED

Sonore ultraDigital v2.0

41 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

Very interesting listening comparison we ran the other day.

Older Signature Rendu into Holo Audio Spring dac via hdmi i2s with regular switch across to ultraRendu (powered by lps-1 + lpsu) into same Holo dac & audio gear via Curious usb short cable.

The first setup was clearly superior.

Despite the identical audio gear, we knew we were comparing the mix of different rendus + signal connections.

In this comparison the masterclock is likely responsible for the difference, even though it is sent over I2S.

With the SSR outputting I2S to the Holo DAC, the masterclock is coming from the SSR, and it uses very good Crystek 957 clocks.

With the ultraRendu outputting USB to the Holo dAC, the DAC is using its own internal masterclock, and most have reported that the masterclock in the Holo DAC is nothing special.

So, I would not draw any conclusions regarding I2S vs. USB from this comparison.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Thanks heaps for that Barrows.

Plenty of food for thought, & I think I now get John S’s comment above.

Critical follow up question!

What then happens if say I use the Sonore ultraDigital usb-i2s converter into the Holo dac? Does it avoid the Holo masterclock?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Also, the SSR was not designed to send i2s to a Holo Spring DAC. It was designed for use on a PS Audio DAC. Refer here for the pin assignment (there is room for error) for each:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h5PMUBkldkpt1rCnAR4ZHYGZNeCe-vwIFyKWYMZWsX0/edit#gid=853411704

46 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

What then happens if say I use the Sonore ultraDigital usb-i2s converter into the Holo dac? Does it avoid the Holo masterclock?

Yes, if you use the ultraDigital I2S output to the Holo DAC, then the Holo DAC will receive masterclock from the ultraDigital and not its internal clock.  My understanding is that this is precisely why a lot of the Holo DAC users are preferring the I2S input on the Holo DAC (I believe there are quite a few comments about this in the Holo DAC thread).

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 4 weeks later...

What is the optimal voltage for the ultraDigital? Specifications are 6V to 9V, what is preferred given a choice? TIA

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

11 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

What is the optimal voltage for the ultraDigital? Specifications are 6V to 9V, what is preferred given a choice? TIA

I don’t have a lot of experience with this on the ultraDigital. I would just split the difference and go with 7VDC. 

4 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I don’t have a lot of experience with this on the ultraDigital. I would just split the difference and go with 7VDC. 

I guess I was thinking more along the line of an Sbooster 5/6v or a 9/10v?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased an ultraDigital, can't wait to see how much of an improvement in sound it makes. I have a PS Audio Direct stream dac that I am using with a ultraRendu and am very happy with that set up. I wonder if the hdmi cable makes a difference?

6 hours ago, Sonic77 said:

Just purchased an ultraDigital, can't wait to see how much of an improvement in sound it makes. I have a PS Audio Direct stream dac that I am using with a ultraRendu and am very happy with that set up. I wonder if the hdmi cable makes a difference?

Maybe consider getting the stock PS Audio HDMI cable, I've heard its manufactured by Kimber and PSA tends to love how it works with their components.

• 1 month later...

Does the ultraDigital draw any VBUS power on it's input?

I have an ISO Regen in front of the ultraDigital that I would like to move to a 5 volt input, but that will only work if the ultraDigital doesn't draw any power from the VBUS although it's ok to sense if there is VBUS power.

What's the deal? Thanks!

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

1 minute ago, rah50 said:

Does the ultraDigital draw any VBUS power on it's input?

I have an ISO Regen in front of the ultraDigital that I would like to move to a 5 volt input, but that will only work if the ultraDigital doesn't draw any power from the VBUS although it's ok to sense if there is VBUS power.

What's the deal? Thanks!

My understanding is that the ultraDigital uses the USB bus power for the input and the external power supply for the output.

Yes, the ultraDigital uses the 5 VDC power supply from the USB input to power the USB input section.  By doing this, we can have two isolated power supplies, which is required to have the output section isolated from the input section.

Like this:

USB input (XMOS receiver chip, powered by USB 5 VDC)-isolation chips-output section and Femto oscillators (powered by the supply input to the ultraDigital).

This design completely isolates the output section and critical clocks from the USB receiver and any noise on the incoming USB line, and is the best way to achieve a very low noise, very low jitter output.

SONORE computer audio

Thanks!

I was thinking of adding LT3045's to the LPS-1 that powers the ISO Regen ahead of my ultraDigital as folks report that as an improvement. They really helped the HDPlex that powers my microRendu.

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

• 3 weeks later...

Another question!

Which device in my chain should get the best power supply? I have a microRendu v1.3 > ISO Regen > ultraDigital.

The power supplies, when my LPS 1.2 arrives in a couple days will be:

HDPlex 100 with two LT3045's outputting 7 volts (Got a very significant boost adding the LT3045's powering my microRendu)

LPS-1 with one LT3045 outputting 6 volts (Perhaps a very modest improvement adding the LT3045 powering the ISO Regen)

LPS-1.2 

A lot of combinations to try, so any thoughts would be appreciated?

Bob

Ok, so why did I buy the ultraDigital?

Bob

Actually I bought it because it allowed me to:

1. Use the better I2S input on my dac

2. Avoid Linux usb limit of DSD128 and go to DSD256

3 Go to native dsd instead of DOP.

All in all, a really nice upgrade.

Bob

7 hours ago, rah50 said:

Actually I bought it because it allowed me to:

1. Use the better I2S input on my dac

2. Avoid Linux usb limit of DSD128 and go to DSD256

3 Go to native dsd instead of DOP.

All in all, a really nice upgrade.

What Linux device are you using?

microRendu. My dac usb wouldn't support higher.

Bob

Bob