IGNORED

Sonore ultraDigital v2.0

I appreciate Specs are TBA ... but can you say whether this is an add-on product for a micr/ultraRendu or an alternative ?

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

ultraDigtial-front.png

DESCRIPTION

The Sonore ultraDigital project is a USB digital converter with SPDIF output via BNC and a LVDS i2s output via HDMI. The LVDS i2s output supports various format for compatibility with various digital to analog converters.

SPECIFICATIONS

TBD

AVAILABLITY

Coming soon

Great, thanks for posting! Finally a device with SPDIF output from Sonore! I' m looking forward to see how it compares to Eitr, MC3+ USB, etc.

1 hour ago, Charente said:

I appreciate Specs are TBA ... but can you say whether this is an add-on product for a micr/ultraRendu or an alternative ?

Since the rendus are renderers and the digital is a USB converter, it would be considered an add on.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
18 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

Since the rendus are renderers and the digital is a USB converter, it would be considered an add on.

I wouldn't - it'll probably work in precisely the same way, just outputting an SPDIF digital stream instead of a USB digital stream. It will still be recognised and behave as a Roon end point as the Schiit Eitr does.

The acid test for me is whether it will SQ outperform my Allo DigiOne with LPSU; if it does I shall buy one in a heartbeat.

Actually, my mistake, just realised it's USB input. Apologies JCN3.

In that case, I am not interested. I'd want ethernet input to the device (so I can use the bridged output of my server) with SPDIF output. I don't want to use USB anywhere in the chain.

Sonore need to have a think about that as they are missing an opportunity in my view.

1 minute ago, George Hincapie said:

. . . it'll probably work in precisely the same way, just outputting an SPDIF digital stream instead of a USB digital stream. It will still be recognised and behave as a Roon end point as the Schiit Eitr does.

Yes, it is the same as an Eitr. My point was simply that it is not an alternative to a renderer.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
20 minutes ago, George Hincapie said:

They should make a network renderer with SPDIF. Perfect.

That would be a Auralic Aries, Aries Mini and the like . . .

1 hour ago, George Hincapie said:

Both a renderer with SPDIF outputs and a USB to SPDIF (and USB to I2S) bridge are useful options. I do not need a renderer in my system but I would be happy to order a Sonore ultraDigital if it performs better than the Schiit Eitr and the Mutec MC3+ USB. I guess that the upcoming ultraDigital can be powered with an UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1. I am happy that Sonore comes out with a device with SPDIF outputs but announcing a new device without providing specs seems a little bit pointless to me. Hopefully the OP will soon provide some more informations ...       

3 hours ago, George Hincapie said:

Except it wouldn't, because Auralic and Sonore are different companies and that isn't what I want. I have been pretty clear what I'd like them to release.

I interpreted "they" as any company. It wasn't clear to me that you meant Sonore . . .

6 hours ago, George Hincapie said:

The original Sonore Signature Series Rendu (SSR) does what you want, doesn't it?  It's discontinued, but Jesus can probably source a used one for you.  It apparently has an excellent SPDIF implementation designed by John Swenson.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

On 10/31/2017 at 8:39 AM, Charente said:

This is just something for our customers that need a digital source with their DAC. 

9 hours ago, nbpf said:

Great, thanks for posting! Finally a device with SPDIF output from Sonore! I' m looking forward to see how it compares to Eitr, MC3+ USB, etc.

That is easy...the ultraDigital is the only one with LVDS i2s output via HDMI output:) 

4 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

That is easy...the ultraDigital is the only one with LVDS i2s output via HDMI output:) 

I understand, but I need an SPDIF output, not i2s. Thus, what matters to me is how the ultraDigital compares to Eitr, MC3+ USB, etc. in terms of SPDIF output quality! Does the device provide galvanic isolation? Does it require device specific drivers for Linux? Thanks, nbpf  

10 hours ago, nbpf said:

I understand, but I need an SPDIF output, not i2s. Thus, what matters to me is how the ultraDigital compares to Eitr, MC3+ USB, etc. in terms of SPDIF output quality! Does the device provide galvanic isolation? Does it require device specific drivers for Linux? Thanks, nbpf  

Like the micro/ultraRendu line it has external DC input so you can tweak the sound with the power supply you use. We will offer a iFi iPower supply or you could use your own uber expensive power supply with it. So the sounds is going to vary from great to whatevery your needs are. How it compares to other gear I'll leave that up to you. Yes it has galvanic isolation and reclocking to deal with the jitter it induces as a result of it. Nothing special needed for Linux and native DSD is supported via the LVDS i2s output. 

38 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Like the micro/ultraRendu line it has external DC input so you can tweak the sound with the power supply you use. We will offer a iFi iPower supply or you could use your own uber expensive power supply with it. So the sounds is going to vary from great to whatevery your needs are. How it compares to other gear I'll leave that up to you. Yes it has galvanic isolation and reclocking to deal with the jitter it induces as a result of it. Nothing special needed for Linux and native DSD is supported via the LVDS i2s output. 

Thanks for the feedback, that sounds like a perfect replacement for my oldish M2Tech HiFace Evo! Any chance to get one shipped to Germany before Christmas? Best, nbpf