IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR7

28 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

How would you set up the shunt since the -ve is inside the case?

-Ve is the same as the negative output on the DC out you could call it -0V.

Paul has one -ve (-0V) for each output if the PSU have more than one output. You apply the shunt the way you would do with any other PSU connect the negative out to ground.

Ground in the IEC is connected to chassi for safety.....The only thing floting is the DC output as each rail has a seperate winding on the transformer.

If you ground all -0V on a multirail PSU all outputs will share the ground and that is one thing Paul dont think is a good thing. 

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
2 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Sorry. -ve is short for negative. As @octaviars clarified.

No need. Just take the output of the SR4, and run the device end (5.5x2.1 barrel) through a JSG shunt. Or use a Groundhog with the spade adapter around the barrel.

I understand now.  I think the spade adapter around the barrel makes the most sense if using one of Paul's expensive cables.  The JSSG shunt kind of defeats the purpose of a silver cable in my opinion.

Thanks for clarifying.

Just now, auricgoldfinger said:

I understand now.  I think the spade adapter around the barrel makes the most sense if using one of Paul's expensive cables.  The JSSG shunt kind of defeats the purpose of a silver cable in my opinion.

Thanks for clarifying.

Yes, my thoughts exactly.

I had bought a Groundhog to try grounding my DAC or amp using the RCA plug. I then ended up building a shunt using the "flying toaster" screw terminal RCA plugs I described the SMPS grounding thread. :) 

But instead of returning the Groundhog, I'm keeping it around precisely to use on the SR4 and the silver cable.

1 minute ago, austinpop said:

Yes, my thoughts exactly.

I had bought a Groundhog to try grounding my DAC or amp using the RCA plug. I then ended up building a shunt using the "flying toaster" screw terminal RCA plugs I described the SMPS grounding thread. :) 

But instead of returning the Groundhog, I'm keeping it around precisely to use on the SR4 and the silver cable.

How does the Groundhog compare, functionally speaking, to the Synergistic Research Ground Block, Entreq Ground Box or Nordost QKore?

Just now, Johnseye said:

How does the Groundhog compare, functionally speaking, to the Synergistic Research Ground Block, Entreq Ground Box or Nordost QKore?

That's a whole thread right there! I don't really know. 

My use of the Groundhog was in the context of John Swenson's recent findings wrt SMPS noise. See: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/37034-smps-and-grounding/ 

Just now, austinpop said:

That's a whole thread right there! I don't really know. 

My use of the Groundhog was in the context of John Swenson's recent findings wrt SMPS noise. See: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/37034-smps-and-grounding/ 

Agreed, I don't want to derail the conversation from the Hynes PSUs.  The pictures of the Groundhog don't do it justice.  I'll keep digging to try and understand how it connects the devices to ground.  iFi's site shows the various adapters but I haven't seen what those connect to and how they get to ground.

3 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Agreed, I don't want to derail the conversation from the Hynes PSUs.  The pictures of the Groundhog don't do it justice.  I'll keep digging to try and understand how it connects the devices to ground.  iFi's site shows the various adapters but I haven't seen what those connect to and how they get to ground.

Oh I can explain that. I answered a PM from someone a few days ago, so I can just cut and paste it here. Pardon some of the Captain Obvious wording.

Here is how you shunt a DC barrel with the Groudhog:

• you need to supply a power cord - it's not included
  • plug the power cord IEC end (the opposite of the wall plug end) into the IEC plug of the groundhog (A in the picture)
  • plug the RCA male C into RCA female D
  • snap the spade B on to the outer barrel of the DC cable

61s-KselbSL._SL1275_.thumb.jpg.c942e4f483808ff2f9ba7008045ac4f4.jpg

2 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Oh I can explain that. I answered a PM from someone a few days ago, so I can just cut and paste it here. Pardon some of the Captain Obvious wording.

• plug the power cord IEC end (the opposite of the wall plug end) into the IEC plug of the groundhog (A in the picture)

Have you tried the spade with an Oyaide 5.5mm x 2.1mm barrel connector?

1 minute ago, austinpop said:

So a full power cable per shunt, or am I still missing something?  That's a bit impractical if you want to ground a lot of equipment.  I think I like the other solutions I mentioned as they allow multiple devices to be connected to a single grounding source.  Same principle as John's shunt.  Multiple ground cables to one plug.

Just now, Johnseye said:

So a full power cable per shunt, or am I still missing something?  That's a bit impractical if you want to ground a lot of equipment.  I think I like the other solutions I mentioned as they allow multiple devices to be connected to a single grounding source.  Same principle as John's shunt.  Multiple ground cables to one plug.

Agreed. It does not scale. I have heard only good things about the Synergistic Ground Block, but cheap it ain't!

For DIY, I've built "hydra" JSG shunts, with 3 devices grounded to the same AC plug. Getting 3 x 14AWG  silver cables connected to the ground prong wasn't easy, but I got it done, Less of an issue if you use thinner cable.

1 minute ago, Johnseye said:

While both the Synergistic Research Ground Block and the iFi Groundhog are 'grounding products,' I think their end results are likely to be quite different. The SR Ground Block is an expensive to very expensive approach to improving sound quality.  The HD grounding cable that I am using for my DAC made a surprisingly large improvement to my system.  The iFi Groundhog is a simple and inexpensive way to ground a device without spending crazy sums of money, but you shouldn't expect the same amount of change in your system.

Just now, austinpop said:

Agreed. It does not scale. I have heard only good things about the Synergistic Ground Block, but cheap it ain't!

For DIY, I've built "hydra" JSG shunts, with 3 devices grounded to the same AC plug. Getting 3 x 14AWG  silver cables connected to the ground prong wasn't easy, but I got it done, Less of an issue if you use thinner cable.

LOL, Hydra it is. Good description.The Ground Block isn't cheap, but the QKore is even more.  I think you can try before you buy from The Cable Co.  Lot's of power related goodness here.

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

Agree +1. Ground Block pricing is acceptable. but each of their lead that cost you.

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

12 hours ago, austinpop said:

Another piece of info I received from Paul was in regards to grounding. Paul confirmed that the SR4 supply is floating, i.e. the DC -ve is not connected to AC ground. This has been his long-standing practice to avoid creating ground loops. He mentioned that he has seen the discussions on leakage currents, and understands the rationale, but cautions that you also need to be careful not to create ground loops in the process of shunting leakage.

My thoughts as I am using a GS108 switch and only linear PSU in my system is to only ground at one place and only one of the 5 rails I have to power my network and endpoint. 

So my HD Plex 200W will power my network equipment and there I will ground the -0V on the supply to the GS108 the other three outputs will be floating.

On my SOtM SMS 200 Ultra I will not ground the -0V coming from the SR4 as it is feed by network from the GS 108 that is grounded. 

Perhaps I am thinking wrong but I hope this is a way of doing it right both on the grounding and the separation of different PSU rails so equipment dont disturb each others groundplane. 

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2017 at 11:41 AM, austinpop said:

The SR4 power supplies for the November batch have already been constructed by my helper, and the lack of rear panels is holding up progress. Once they arrive I can have them fitted to the power supplies and they can then be tested and then shipped out.

I will let you know when the panels arrive.

Does anyone have a more recent status update re SR4 production?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

• 2 weeks later...

The first SR4 have been tested and are ready to ship in the begining of next week if the storm have passed the Isle were Paul lives.

So if we the first buyers are lucky it will arrive in the next week.

Main system

Second system
16 minutes ago, octaviars said:

The first SR4 have been tested and are ready to ship in the begining of next week if the storm have passed the Isle were Paul lives.

So if we the first buyers are lucky it will arrive in the next week.

This is frustrating to see as someone who ordered a SR7 back at the end of May and still hasn't received it.

10 minutes ago, limniscate said:

This is frustrating to see as someone who ordered a SR7 back at the end of May and still hasn't received it.

Well I cant comment on that you will have to talk to Paul about it.

Main system

Second system

Are you just happen to be the one off the grid have you tried to contact Paul ?

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono