IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR7

Digital harshness is only one reason that creates a harsh sound. What I’m trying to say is that, even if we’d have the perfect source, a system still can sound harsh because of harsh amp and or speakers, even if the digital source is replaced by a good turnable. I know we’re focussing on source in this forum, but don’t make it your blind spot.

Digital harshness to me is jitter or missed ones and zero’s,  which result in un-natural sound waves. The brain is constantly re-calculating which makes it fatiguing. At least that’s how I interpretate it. It’s very hard to distinguish this form overall system harshness. But maybe the re-calculating approach makes it easier for you to recoignize.

And to put it in another perspective, the source is only 1/3 of the Total system: source, amp, speakers  (1/4 if you take acoustics in account). If you’d split source into player and dac, the player is only 1/6. Split player in server and renderer, it’s only 1/12. Split renderer in Sotm and power supply we’re talking 1/24 of the total system. Don’t take these figures to litteraly, but don’t expect just one power supply to turn your system from harsh to analog (or whatever you might call it)

Try a good tube pre-amp, use a good softdome tweeter or work on your acoustics for instance. Once you’re system has your preferred signature, a revealing source can only improve your set.

1 hour ago, octaviars said:

Paul is offering his new SR4 now just made the payment for it today. 

"A new product introduction available November 2017 is the SR4 power supply. This is a scaled down version of the SR7 single rail supply with voltage selection switch covering the range 5v, 7v, 9v 12v with an output current rating of 2A continuous 20A transient. It uses the same components and energy storage capacitance as the SR7 and it is ideal for powering most of the digital interface equipment currently available like the microRendu, SOtM sMS200, etc."

How much was it?  Is there a pricing structure?

7 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Hate to sound like a broken record, but,

a sCLK-EX added will do far more than any power supply, component upgrade. 

:DThanks for the suggestion @ElviaCaprice. I would love to add an sCLK-EX one day. I would probably do what @austinpop has done and get the sCLK-EX in the tx-usbultra and replace the clocks in the sms200 and a switch.

Unfortunately that won't be financially possible for some time. So I am looking at some more affordable upgrades for the time being.

I notice that you are using your 2Qute direct to speakers. I am using a mojo. I do recall rob watts saying that the mojo is also capable of directly powering efficient horn speakers, however my speakers are Yamaha B750's and their quoted sensitivity on the specs is 87db. I'm assuming that these are not sensitive enough?? Do you notice much distortion if you push the 2Qute to higher levels? 

3 hours ago, octaviars said:

Paul is offering his new SR4 now just made the payment for it today. 

"A new product introduction available November 2017 is the SR4 power supply. This is a scaled down version of the SR7 single rail supply with voltage selection switch covering the range 5v, 7v, 9v 12v with an output current rating of 2A continuous 20A transient. It uses the same components and energy storage capacitance as the SR7 and it is ideal for powering most of the digital interface equipment currently available like the microRendu, SOtM sMS200, etc."

There is nothing on his website.

1 hour ago, Bricki said:

I notice that you are using your 2Qute direct to speakers. I am using a mojo. I do recall rob watts saying that the mojo is also capable of directly powering efficient horn speakers, however my speakers are Yamaha B750's and their quoted sensitivity on the specs is 87db. I'm assuming that these are not sensitive enough?? Do you notice much distortion if you push the 2Qute to higher levels? 

My Omegas are rated for 98db @ 8ohms.  No, since the 2Qute doesn't have a volume control, I can only push that single op amp to it's fullest ability.  I get plenty of quality volume for nearfield, small room playback.  I'm looking forward to the 3Qute, hopefully it will have a digital volume control with an added amp section. 

Otherwise for now, I am very pleased with the 2Qute, excellent value DAC.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

8 hours ago, Johnseye said:

How much was it?  Is there a pricing structure?

£330 plus shipping.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
6 hours ago, mozes said:

There is nothing on his website.

You wont find anything on any website. Contact is via email or message here on CA.

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system
6 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

The cost of the DC cable is extra, correct?  And no IEC AC power cable is included?

DC cable will cost extra and no IEC included.

Main system

Second system

Anybody here that ordered a SR4? Tomorrow it is one week since I made the money transfer and as "usuall" not a word from Paul. Before I made the payment he did answer messages here on CA rather fast.

I know this is how it works after reading alot about Pauls PSU but it shure would be nice just to know that the payment and order is received :|

Main system

Second system
9 hours ago, octaviars said:

Anybody here that ordered a SR4?

On 11/15, Paul wrote me

I am just awaiting the new rear panels with XLR connector machining which should arrive later this week. Assuming they are accurate (usually are as my chassis manufacturer is good) I will be fitting the panels and packing and shipping the first SR4 batch from when they arrive.

That is the last I've heard.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I got an answer from Paul today @rickca and my SR4 is produced in the first batch and will be built next week and shipped out the week after that.

Main system

Second system
8 minutes ago, limniscate said:

I hope he's not prioritizing SR4 orders over people who ordered a SR7.  I've been waiting for mine since the end of May.

I doubt SR4 orders have any effect on the SR7 backlog.  SR4 is just a stock item, it's not custom built.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

15 minutes ago, octaviars said:

I got an answer from Paul today @rickca and my SR4 is produced in the first batch and will be built next week and shipped out the week after that.

Well, you're very fortunate.  I haven't gotten any news from Paul, so maybe I missed the first batch.  I didn't pay until 11/14.

2 minutes ago, austinpop said:

You'll get it when it's ready.

Yeah, that's why I'm not sending Paul any follow-up enquiries.  I'll just wait for a shipping notice.

51 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Please give Paul a break, guys.

I talked to Paul many times last weekend and made the banktransfer last monday then I hear nothing from Paul so I was only concerned that something had happened to him thats why I asked here if anyone heard from him it had nothing to do with the build time of the new SR4.

Today Paul answered that he was fine and my transfer had come through but he had been of the Island for a couple of days and bad weather stoped him from going back.

Main system

Second system
10 hours ago, octaviars said:

I talked to Paul many times last weekend and made the banktransfer last monday then I hear nothing from Paul

Not anything new, same Paul 4 years ago. 

And I love all his story. ;-) 

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

1 hour ago, ismewor said:

Not anything new, same Paul 4 years ago. 

And I love all his story. ;-) 

Yes he is very helpfull and nice to talk to.

Main system

Second system

An update from Paul that I received today:

I am still waiting for the shipment of rear panels for the SR4 to arrive. This has been a rather annoying issue as in the past my chassis manufacturer has provided SR3 rear panels (same size but different hole pattern) within a week of ordering by punching pre-anodised aluminium panels. This time, without telling me, they have changed the way they produce the panels. They now punch raw aluminium panels then send them away for anodising. I ordered them over a month ago but they still have not arrived. The manufacturer is checking tracking for me to find out where they are.

The SR4 power supplies for the November batch have already been constructed by my helper, and the lack of rear panels is holding up progress. Once they arrive I can have them fitted to the power supplies and they can then be tested and then shipped out.

I will let you know when the panels arrive.

Another piece of info I received from Paul was in regards to grounding. Paul confirmed that the SR4 supply is floating, i.e. the DC -ve is not connected to AC ground. This has been his long-standing practice to avoid creating ground loops. He mentioned that he has seen the discussions on leakage currents, and understands the rationale, but cautions that you also need to be careful not to create ground loops in the process of shunting leakage.

Based on that, I agree with his rationale to ship the units floating (and I didn't ask him to ground mine). I'll just use a JSG gizmo to test both ways to see what sounds better.

6 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I am still waiting for the shipment of rear panels for the SR4 to arrive. This has been a rather annoying issue as in the past my chassis manufacturer has provided SR3 rear panels (same size but different hole pattern) within a week of ordering by punching pre-anodised aluminium panels. This time, without telling me, they have changed the way they produce the panels. They now punch raw aluminium panels then send them away for anodising. I ordered them over a month ago but they still have not arrived. The manufacturer is checking tracking for me to find out where they are.

The SR4 power supplies for the November batch have already been constructed by my helper, and the lack of rear panels is holding up progress. Once they arrive I can have them fitted to the power supplies and they can then be tested and then shipped out.

Another piece of info I received from Paul was in regards to grounding. Paul confirmed that the SR4 supply is floating, i.e. the DC -ve is not connected to AC ground. This has been his long-standing practice to avoid creating ground loops. He mentioned that he has seen the discussions on leakage currents, and understands the rationale, but cautions that you also need to be careful not to create ground loops in the process of shunting leakage.

Based on that, I agree with his rationale to ship the units floating (and I didn't ask him to ground mine). I'll just use a JSG gizmo to test both ways to see what sounds better.

Thanks, I didn't realize this was his long standing practice.  If so, I suspect it is also done with the SR7.  I do see the power input ground connected to the output and chassis of my second 12v rail.  I wonder if this was done to ground the chassis, what impact it has and if that is considered floating.

14 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Great information on the floating supply.  I would have just assumed it came grounded (with a 3-prong IEC connector after all).

3 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Thanks, I didn't realize this was his long standing practice.  If so, I suspect it is also done with the SR7.  I do see the power input ground connected to the output and chassis of my second 12v rail.  I wonder if this was done to ground the chassis, what impact it has and if that is considered floating.

Please let us know the answer if you decide to contact Paul about it.