IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR7

10 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

You may also want to try the sotm SPS 500 . 

I have one in my system and also an LPS-1 

I have found this sps 500 to be extremely good , i heard the same differences between sps 500 and LPS-1 as you did between SR7 and LPS-1.  

I use those to power à tx USB exp card and dx USB hd interface. 

Others have found the LPS-1 better than the SPS 500.  Think Roy also commented on this.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

21 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

You may also want to try the sotm SPS 500 . 

I have one in my system and also an LPS-1 

I have found this sps 500 to be extremely good , i heard the same differences between sps 500 and LPS-1 as you did between SR7 and LPS-1.  

I use those to power à tx USB exp card and dx USB hd interface. 

I've considered the sPS-500.  It's the 100mv ripple I can't get over.  I know SOtM has excellent filtering, but I want to see what else Uptone releases next before I buy another LPSU.

The sPS-500 goes from 7 to 19v while the LPS-1 is only up to 7v.  When you compared the two did you have the sPS-500 set to 7v?

Also, the sPS-500 only outputs 50w.  This still has some applicability for my server as I know it doesn't draw half that.  The SR7 has 190w at 19v so it's much more capable if necessary.

22 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

The LPS-1 can only output 1.1A.  Same in a series.

On their site it said 7.5v/2.9a so I guess it drop to 1.1a when using on a 9v device?

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

1 minute ago, ismewor said:

On their site it said 7.5v/2.9a so I guess it drop to 1.1a when using on a 9v device?

You misread Uptone audio website.  Maybe your confusing their other power supply with the LPS-1?  It doesn't drop down.  1.1A is max. and the only voltage selections are 3.3V, 5V and 7V.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

38 minutes ago, ismewor said:

On their site it said 7.5v/2.9a

Those sound like the specs for the Mean Well SMPS that Uptone supplies to energize the LPS-1.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

35 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

You misread Uptone audio website.  Maybe your confusing their other power supply with the LPS-1?  It doesn't drop down.  1.1A is max. and the only voltage selections are 3.3V, 5V and 7V.

They only have ultracap LPS-1 on their site. Only selection is 7.5v/2.9a

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,

14 minutes ago, ismewor said:

They only have ultracap LPS-1 on their site. Only selection is 7.5v/2.9a

Yes OK I took a look at the website.  You need an energizing supply for the LPS-1.  One option is the 7.5V/2.9A Mean Well SMPS as I said.  The other option in that dropdown is to omit the Mean Well because you have an appropriate one already.

If you scroll down on the LPS-1 page you will find the information you need.  I'll reproduce a little of it here for your convenience.

Since many buyers--especially REGEN owners--already have an energizing supply of the right voltage/current (12V/1.5A, 9V/2A, or 7.5V/2.5A), the LPS-1 is also offered without the energizing supply and AC cable for a slight savings. 

As indicated above, the AC>DC charging supply must be in the range of 7.5V to 12V, it must be capable of the currents mentioned—even if the output load on the LPS-1 is going to be light—and it must be a regulated supply.  Just use the Mean Well that comes with the LPS-1 (or the one that came with your REGEN) and you will be happy.

Regardless of the attached energizing supply, the only available LPS-1 output settings are 3.3 volts, 5 volts, or 7 volts—and 1.1 amps is maximum continuous current available (short bursts between 1.1 and 1.2A are okay, but at 1.2A it turns off).

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Thx for the  clarification . So the LPS1 is a ultra cap Power Bank filter by itself.

14 hours ago, Johnseye said:

I've considered the sPS-500.  It's the 100mv ripple I can't get over.  I know SOtM has excellent filtering, but I want to see what else Uptone releases next before I buy another LPSU.

The sPS-500 goes from 7 to 19v while the LPS-1 is only up to 7v.  When you compared the two did you have the sPS-500 set to 7v?

Also, the sPS-500 only outputs 50w.  This still has some applicability for my server as I know it doesn't draw half that.  The SR7 has 190w at 19v so it's much more capable if necessary.

I can understand the concern for the ripple,by the way where do you get this figure. 

Ripple is just one parameter of power supply, i have also ifi power supply with very low ripple and even though it is quite good for the price it can't touch the spps-500. 

A 200 w multi rail Paul hynes is 1500-2000$ dollars and I have one on order , however to power our low consumption boxes from our spaghetti set up , the sps-500 is an excellent choice. 

I advise that you listent to it if you have the opportunity. In my it easily bettered the lps-1. 

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

On 11/12/2017 at 5:10 AM, Johnseye said:

The sMS-200 powered by the SR7 alone compared to the IR after it is also significantly different.  The sMS-200, while open, airy, with more stage depth still has a harshness to it.  At loud volumes it can be fatiguing.  There's something in the high frequency that bites.  Putting the IR after it smooths or removes all that HF harshness.  It also provides a more balanced warmer tone, but at a cost of less air and depth.  Pick your poison.

Thanks for the review @Johnseye. I also have the sms200 (non ultra) and I agree completely with your assessment. There is something slightly harsh about the sound and perhaps a bit thin. But I love the resolution and depth. I have been considering putting an Iso regen after the sms200 in order to reduce the harshness but after reading your comments I am somewhat reluctant because I don't want to lose any air or depth.

Is it possible that the loss of air or depth with the IR after the sms200 is due to the LPS1 powering the IR and it is slightly masking the SR7 powering the sms200???

In my system I have the LPS1 powering the sms200 and roon core on a sonicTransporter. The sonicTransporter is still running on the stock SMPS...I know this is a difficult question, but in your experience with power supplies and the sms200, what would yield the greater benefit to my system:

A. Upgrading the power supply on my sonicTransporter (perhaps sps500 - I can't afford SR7)

B. Adding an LPS1 powered iso regen after the sms200

Any thoughts would be appreciated:D

Thanks

Brendan

5 hours ago, Bricki said:

Any thoughts would be appreciated:D

Hate to sound like a broken record, but,

a sCLK-EX added will do far more than any power supply, component upgrade. 

13 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

This is true, the sms200 ultra (with sclk ex) is warmer sounding than the basic sms 200, but there is still a hint of grain and harshness in the upper mid that does not go away when powered by the lps1.(with bright sounding front end) It's system matching the lps1 is superb  with the microrendu and other lower power componenents usb cards etc. Unless you mean the entire server is changed.

21 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Hate to sound like a broken record, but,

There is much we don’t quite understand in this domain. Both of the following statements are true:

1. For a given PSU (of sufficiently high quality), improving the clock (lowering phase noise), improves SQ.

2. For a given clock (of sufficiently high quality), improving the PSU quality improves SQ.

Where this gets interesting is the conjecture that everything is ultimately dependent on the PSU quality. Over on head-fi, Roy has reported some potentially interesting findings with the Zenith SE server, that suggests that an extraordinarily good set of PSUs can perhaps close the gap between components with and without Ref 10 level clocking.

I’m still puzzling over these latest results.

4 minutes ago, austinpop said:

There is much we don’t quite understand in this domain. Both of the following statements are true:

1. For a given PSU (of sufficiently high quality), improving the clock (lowering phase noise), improves SQ.

2. For a given clock (of sufficiently high quality), improving the PSU quality improves SQ.

Where this gets interesting is the conjecture that everything is ultimately dependent on the PSU quality. Over on head-fi, Roy has reported some potentially interesting findings with the Zenith SE server, that suggests that an extraordinarily good set of PSUs can perhaps close the gap between components with and without Ref 10 level clocking.

Rajiv, would you please link those findings from Head-Fi?

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

He's all over the place.  Read his upgraded line conditioner over on Steve Hoffman forum.  I think he's just swapping musicality for resolution.   Anyways it doesn't matter, because the components he is playing with, like the Zenith SE server at 7k are not anything I would consider because of cost.  Also Roy hasn't said anything about whether his sCLK-EX server has been beat yet with these other boutique components, not that it would matter.  He just likes to constantly tinker.  Which is good for me, I can cherry pick the ideas that are cost effective for the best SQ.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/review-comparison-of-5-high-end-digital-music-servers-aurender-n10-cad-cat-server-totaldac-d1-server-auralic-aries-audiophile-vortex-box.787020/page-69

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

I don't disagree with this.  Just when you add in biggest bang for the buck, my suggestion to the OP in question would be the sCLK-EX for their sms-200 and LPS-1.

6 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

I don't disagree with this.  Just when you add in biggest bang for the buck, my suggestion to the OP in question would be the sCLK-EX for their sms-200 and LPS-1.

Were you referring to me as the OP, or another poster's reply?  If me, I will no longer be using my sMS-200 in my primary listening system.  I will move it to my main PC on another floor where I can now enjoy better sounding music when listening to it in that room.

4 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Were you referring to me as the OP, or another poster's reply?  If me, I will no longer be using my sMS-200 in my primary listening system.  I will move it to my main PC on another floor where I can now enjoy better sounding music when listening to it in that room.

Sorry Johnseye, you are the original op.  No I was answering @Bricki.   But good to know your plans.  Can't wait to hear your impressions from the sCLK-EX server.9_9

Paul is offering his new SR4 now just made the payment for it today. 

"A new product introduction available November 2017 is the SR4 power supply. This is a scaled down version of the SR7 single rail supply with voltage selection switch covering the range 5v, 7v, 9v 12v with an output current rating of 2A continuous 20A transient. It uses the same components and energy storage capacitance as the SR7 and it is ideal for powering most of the digital interface equipment currently available like the microRendu, SOtM sMS200, etc."

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
5 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

This is true, the sms200 ultra (with sclk ex) is warmer sounding than the basic sms 200, but there is still a hint of grain and harshness in the upper mid that does not go away when powered by the lps1.(with bright sounding front end) It's system matching the lps1 is superb  with the microrendu and other lower power componenents usb cards etc. Unless you mean the entire server is changed.

True, sms-200ultra is good. after that a good LPS still needed to close out the deal.

38 minutes ago, octaviars said:

Paul is offering his new SR4 now just made the payment for it today. 

"A new product introduction available November 2017 is the SR4 power supply. This is a scaled down version of the SR7 single rail supply with voltage selection switch covering the range 5v, 7v, 9v 12v with an output current rating of 2A continuous 20A transient. It uses the same components and energy storage capacitance as the SR7 and it is ideal for powering most of the digital interface equipment currently available like the microRendu, SOtM sMS200, etc."

Oh, I wish i know sooner, I just order the LPS from TheLineauSolution last week. Love their TCXO router great craftsmanship and quality. It is a 9v/12v selectable with 2.7A DR Output. Free Furutech FI-03 and Oyaide DC upgrade for intro period, I will than compare it with the SPS-500 from sotm. Since the price is similar. Sam said it will take about 3 weeks to build. and I'm sure will post what i found out.