IGNORED

If You Hate MQA Now What?

4 hours ago, Indydan said:

Are you having fun? Do you think you're smart? You purposely start a thread titled If You Hate MQA Now What?

Then you complain that people are still talking about MQA, and you call them malcontents. A very obvious attempt to bait others for the pleasure you get from lighting the match, then blaming others for causing a fire.

I start a thread with a question, "If you hate MQA Now What?" I posted 3 answers out of many, many,many alternatives. Any member here could answer this question in a way that suits them.

What happened is the same people who complain in the MQA thread (malcontents) actually came to this thread to CONTINUE TO COMPLAIN!
No solutions, no humor, 0 ideas yet all of them have the audacity to talk as if they knew a better alternative to MQA. Fine, then answer the question, IF you hate MQA what are the cheap, easy, and good SQ alternatives.

I tell you "hirez PCM and DSD" are alternatives with good SQ. They are expensive as hell at $20+ an album PLUS the additional hardware needed. So I ruled that out in the ideas I posted.

It's you time for you to shine buttercup, if you got a workaround for MQA that is cheap, easy with good SQ post it.

Otherwise suck it up buttercup and quit whining about it :) 

2 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Of course not. This is because it is about you. And I told you in advance.

If you'd start a thread about the best Ghetto Blaster then you still won't have success.

If I'd start a thread about the best Ghetto Blaster, the thread will soon be about you.

You know PeterSt you claim to be some kind of inventor. I guess that must take some type of talent if someone ever bought one of your inventions. 
So, your time to shine buttercup, what is your "mahvelous" invention that is cheap, easy, and better SQ than MQA? We are all on pins and needles here :) 

If you got nothing (which I suspect) then suck it up buttercup and try xanax (if you don't know what xanax is it is not a new speaker company, look it up)

3 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

You know PeterSt you claim to be some kind of inventor. I guess that must take some type of talent if someone ever bought one of your inventions. 
So, your time to shine buttercup, what is your "mahvelous" invention that is cheap, easy, and better SQ than MQA? We are all on pins and needles here :) 

If you got nothing (which I suspect) then suck it up buttercup and try xanax (if you don't know what xanax is it is not a new speaker company, look it up)

This is your one warning for being a jerk. Next time you're banned.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

Alternative to MQA? We don't need an alternative to MQA because we didn't need MQA in the first place. What we had before MQA popped up is all we need.

OK, I can tell your brilliant reply you are either a rocket scientist or watch cartoons all day "speed racer". Look, all we "need" if food, clothing and shelter but we are actually beyond that point (unless somehow you live in a cave with a wifi connection). Now, in your cave next to your science notebook is a device that you MUST use to listen to tunes. By your post you seem content withit. OK, let's hear some ideas from the scientist (or a cartoon suggestion from speed racer). Answer the question, "speed racer hates MQA so his alternative is __________"
I'll give you a couple of days to do the math, no worries. :) 

8 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is your one warning for being a jerk. Next time you're banned.

Hey Chris, NP, I can ratchet it down. All I am saying here is this forum is to share ideas about audio and I am open to debate about audio. If members can't stay on topic I feel it is fair game to respond to an insult, no? I reported a ridiculous post in this thread earlier and felt I had no alternative than to respond in kind, no harm intended.

8 minutes ago, Teresa said:

Since you asked, what I like that is not MQA:

• SACDs from audiophile music labels.
  • DSD downloads from audiophile music labels.
  • 24-bit PCM downloads from audiophile music labels.

I don't like or hate MQA as I have not heard it. The only audiophile label I know of that offers MQA is 2L. In the past I have tried some 2L recordings in DXD (24/352.8) and DSD from their test bench, which have since been deleted from my hard-drive as I didn't care for the sonics or the music.

The apartment complex where I live offers free wi-fi internet which limits data first by slowing down and then by disconnection. Thus, a streaming service would not possible be for me unless I was willing to pay for unlimited internet, which I am not. My hope is that MQA doesn’t replace real high resolution music files (24 bit and DSD) for download. 

MQA is being promoted for streaming services and I hope it stays that way. If it doesn't, at least for the time being I can still buy SACDs and DSD downloads and when I can't I can still play what I have.  

I agree. :)

Thanks these are decent suggestions. I have a wonderful SACD/DVD-A player in the Sony UHPH1. I have tried a new type of disc recently encoded in auro 3D by George McCrae that was pretty good. Can you suggest a resource where you can buy these discs/files at a cheaper price than the standard $20+ a pop? For example I think The Door's sound really good in MQA but the SACD's can get a little pricey:

https://www.amazon.com/Doors/dp/B00BJLJIWK?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00BJLJIWK

16 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

Hey Chris, NP, I can ratchet it down. All I am saying here is this forum is to share ideas about audio and I am open to debate about audio. If members can't stay on topic I feel it is fair game to respond to an insult, no? I reported a ridiculous post in this thread earlier and felt I had no alternative than to respond in kind, no harm intended.

You are responsible for your own behavior. Nobody forced you to respond. You always have the alternative of not responding or taking the high road.

You are the king of getting off topic. Don't try to make it seem like others around here are the issue. 

You titled this thread "...MQA..." but it really has zero to do with MQA. This thread is like asking for cheaper alternatives to onions. Who wants an alternative and why is it needed? Nobody seems to know.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You are responsible for your own behavior. Nobody forced you to respond. You always have the alternative of not responding or taking the high road.

You are the king of getting off topic. Don't try to make it seem like others around here are the issue. 

You titled this thread "...MQA..." but it really has zero to do with MQA. This thread is like asking for cheaper alternatives to onions. Who wants an alternative and why is it needed? Nobody seems to know.

OK, we NEED an alternative to lossy right? What is the problem Tidal originally addressed? Spotify offers lossy and compressed streams so Tidal originally offered offered flac before MQA. Some people bought in and the company carved out a niche by offering an alternative to lossy streaming.

Now a few years later the industry pivots to "hirez". Nearly every manufacturer offers dacs that decode DSD but where is the software? Scarce and expensive and a hassle to stream by phone right? So MQA comes on the scene looking to address that problem.
have they succeeded? It depends who you ask. Of course you know I like it but not everyone agrees, fine.
So the people that want an alternative are those who value SQ that is better than lossy spotify or unlossy flac but don't like MQA.

I think the musical performance trumps the use of compression and like concertvault, cheap, easy, and good tunes.
I have a wonderful device for convenience called Fire TV (and you know there are tons of alternaives) that are rich in content and convenience but low on SQ. In my rig the aftermaster pro kicks the SQ up a notch the fire tv. Is it as good as DSD? No. Is it cheap, easy and better use f hardware based DSP than raw compression out of my fire tv? yes.
Finally you have software based DSP that claims to extract missing data on lossy files. If there is one that YOU like it is cheaper than buying a lot of hirez files, and easy to use. I like Sony's HSEE DX but there are 10,001 alternatives to software based DSP that claims to improve lossy files.
So, I have this thread open to try and learn more about making these crappy files we have to deal with better, cheaper, and more convenient. The ideas I posted work for me. :) 

3 minutes ago, MetalNuts said:

For me, I don't need MQA and therefore I have no alternative to suggest.  I am fine with my libraries of redbook rip, high resolution or dsd download. 

Some will never understand that forum is for people to express their own belief/opinion, to discuss in good terms BUT NOT to talk or force other to concur.  It is absolutely unacceptable to accuse or attack those whom he cannot convert to his side.

Thanks, I am so tired of all the attacks just because I can't be converted to hating MQA, much appreciated. :) 

26 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

Thanks these are decent suggestions. I have a wonderful SACD/DVD-A player in the Sony UHPH1. I have tried a new type of disc recently encoded in auro 3D by George McCrae that was pretty good. Can you suggest a resource where you can buy these discs/files at a cheaper price than the standard $20+ a pop? For example I think The Door's sound really good in MQA but the SACD's can get a little pricey:

https://www.amazon.com/Doors/dp/B00BJLJIWK?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00BJLJIWK

That is an audiophile remaster by Analogue Productions, they did all the Doors albums on SACD and LP. Amazon is not a good place to purchase them. At Elusive Disc they are $29.99 and if you get on their mailing list they have frequent discount sales between 10% - 20%.

If you like classical music, most in-print classical SACD / CD hybrids are single inventory, meaning there is no separate CD only version, thus they are priced that same as CDs.

I have paid as little as $4 for a used SACD. According to my database my average price paid for SACDs is $12.26.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Just now, Teresa said:

That is an audiophile remaster by Analogue Productions, they did all the Doors albums. Amazon is not a good place to purchase them. At Elusive Disc they are $29.99 and if you get on their mailing list they have frequent discount sales between 10% - 20%.

If you like classical music, most in-print classical SACD / CD hybrids are single inventory, meaning there is no separate CD only version, thus they are priced that same as CDs.

I have paid as little as $4 for a used SACD. According to my database my average price paid for SACDs is $12.26.

Do you have a link for a used SACD store?

11 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

Do you have a link for a used SACD store?

No. I get most of my used SACDs at local used record stores, and on rare occasions thrift stores. Anywhere that sales used CDs, may also have some SACDs but you have to hunt for them.

Acoustic Sounds has some very good brand new SACDs on clearance, starting at $5.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

I hope I can find some cheap SACD's around.

I like the way Sony uses a software based DSP to try and make lossy files sound closer to hirez. https://www.sony.com/electronics/play-music-library-near-hi-res-audio-sound-quality

Here is another example by Cambridge Audio. Maybe it works but it ain't cheap. The Sony UHPH1 was around $300.
But if you want to make the most of low rez files maybe this is another alternative to MQA. Has anyone tried a Cambridge Streamer? :

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/technology/streammagic?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=CambridgeAudio

29 minutes ago, Archimago said:

As expressed in my most recent post on the blog...

24/48 (or 44) PCM

Stream that if you want hi-res. Universally accessible. Cheap. Likely better compressed than MQA. Fantastic SQ - full 24-bit resolution with time-domain benefits compared to MQA's mangled machinations. Free and open. Do as Qobuz with true 24/96 and 24/192 streaming if there is a market for those with reliable high speed internet capable of it.

For downloads you have your pick of 24/96, 24/192, DSD...

Keep it simple.

Hey Archimago thanks for posting, I know my Sony UHPH1 sounds better streaming in PCM instead of bitstream. Do you have any players you like? Either software or hardware?