IGNORED

If You Hate MQA Now What?

2 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

For the complainers we are still waiting for your solutions. If you guys have a better low budget, easy to implement solution for the non MQA files/crowd feel free, to post. 

Who is "we"?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

9 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Ok, I'll bite.  What are the problems that your "solutions" address?

Concertvault address budget. If you can't affors Tidl for $20 a month concertvault is only $39 a year and if you like LIVE music is the best site around. Yeah its lossy but you will never find these concerts anywhere else which I consider audio treasure.

AM Pro addresses crappy sources in MY system, The Fire HD is NOT a "high fidelity" product it is a product of convenience. "Alexis movies with John Wayne or shuffle Frank Sinatra". But SQ not so much. The AM Pro improves it so it isn't a total drag.

My Sony DSEE HX makes lossy Spotify sound better. I don't have to spend an extra $10 a month but can still get a "dsp" based improvement. 

1 hour ago, Norton said:

WD,

I have no interest in MQA but I enjoy your posts, you somehow pull off the trick of being both deliberately provocative and controversialist whilst remaining  relentlessly upbeat and largely avoiding the ad hominems (akin to having the legs of your favourite trousers  chewed by a persistant but endearing terrier). I also don't think you are likely to be a paid shill for MQA, that would be a lost cause on this site...

But the fact is we don't need MQA.  We already have access to excellent hi res PCM and DSD files and quality non-MQA  DACs that allow RBCD to really shine.

If we want to add DSP then we have fine products  like HQP or can rely on the increasingly sophisticated up sampling and filtering options built in to current DACs.

I don't hate MQA, I've never heard it, but I suspect it's just irrelevant to my listening.

Thank you ! 

8 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

Concertvault address budget. If you can't affors Tidl for $20 a month concertvault is only $39 a year and if you like LIVE music is the best site around. Yeah its lossy but you will never find these concerts anywhere else which I consider audio treasure.

This assumes someone will be happy substituting versions of songs they want to listen to with live, lossy alternatives.  Spotify has a free tier, no?

AM Pro addresses crappy sources in MY system, The Fird HD is NOT a "high feidelity" product it is a product of convenience. "Alexis movies with John Wayne or shuffle Frank Sinatra". But SQ not so much. The AM Pro improves it so it isn't a total drag.

Applying DSP to a lossy source isn't a magic bullet.  Some will undoubtedly think it sounds worse with the DSP.

My Sony DSEE HX makes lossy Spotify sound better. I don't have to spend an extra $10 a month but can still get a "dsp" based improvement.

In this case, DSP could be lipstick on a pig.

25 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

This assumes someone will be happy substituting versions of songs they want to listen to with live, lossy alternatives.  Spotify has a free tier, no?

Applying DSP to a lossy source isn't a magic bullet.  Some will undoubtedly think it sounds worse with the DSP.

In this case, DSP could be lipstick on a pig.

True, this is all subjective.I don't see how any music lover could not find something they like on concertvault. Remember Terry Kath of Chicago? Is it hirez? No. Does it matter? Hell no! OMG what a solo!!:

http://www.concertvault.com/chicago/video/25-or-6-to-4_1942162436.html

PS- You will not get THAT with Spotify, Tidal, MQA, DSD, whatever. The  ENERGY of a LIVE performance!! Yes some of these services may have some live albums but nothing like the huge resources they have at the vault.

I have heard DSP!   The Goldmund set up at a past RMAF:

Now THAT sounded good.  If DSP could make a stinky hotel room sound good it has my vote.  But that was one expensive set up.  Kinda like adding an AMG option to a Mercedes coupe.  If my retirement plans (aka the Arizona state lottery) come in on time, I would spring for the full monty.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

2 hours ago, witchdoctor said:

Let's suppose you have a low budget. A receiver, 2 speakers, a Fire HD and an Aftermaster Pro is not meant to be "high fidelity" It is supposed to be cheap, easy,fun, and much better SQ than what most people have on the same budget.

Hardware approaches to AfterMaster pro-like results.  Its cheap and its fun, and it isn't about high fidelity. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Fair Hedon has a web site, with actual content.  I do not know why he is hating on the Witch Dr. 

The Witch Dr. is expressing a pro-MQA opinion. My informal take is that a majority of the active members on this site are not convinced that MQA is an improvement to our sonic enjoyment  The Witch Dr. is cheerful.  He really likes obscure recordings of music which, shall we say, are not mainstream.  I conclude that the Doctor is, well, an odd ball, just like 36.2% of the other people on this site. 

So I say:  "ting tang walla walla bing bang"   (David Seville (Ross Bagdasarian) Jan 1958)

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

10 minutes ago, NOMBEDES said:

Fair Hedon has a web site, with actual content.  I do not know why he is hating on the Witch Dr. 

The Witch Dr. is expressing a pro-MQA opinion. My informal take is that a majority of the active members on this site are not convinced that MQA is an improvement to our sonic enjoyment  The Witch Dr. is cheerful.  He really likes obscure recordings of music which, shall we say, are not mainstream.  I conclude that the Doctor is, well, an odd ball, just like 36.2% of the other people on this site. 

So I say:  "ting tang walla walla bing bang"   (David Seville (Ross Bagdasarian) Jan 1958)

Thanks! All good :)

4 hours ago, NOMBEDES said:

Can we afford to pay $10. extra for MQA on top of the charge for streaming music?  Media is killing us with both the nickel and the dime.......

Tidal HiFi was $20 a month before MQA and is still $20 a month. I don’t know what it might cost in the future but for right now, MQA doesn’t cost anything extra. 

2 hours ago, NOMBEDES said:

Agreed. He seems harmless enough, but very ignorable...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

3 hours ago, 4est said:

Agreed. He seems harmless enough, but very ignorable...

I would agree he's harmless....just incredibly annoying.  I'm sure he'll go away soon enough though.

He goes from forum to forum spouting his MQA BS until he get's asked to leave.  Audiocircle was one of the last ones.

-Jim

22 minutes ago, jdubs said:

I would agree he's harmless....just incredibly annoying.  I'm sure he'll go away soon enough though.

He goes from forum to forum spouting his MQA BS until he get's asked to leave.  Audiocircle was one of the last ones.

-Jim

Yo Jimbo thanks for the love, nice to see you here too. Of all the threads here you chose mine,.I must be special. If you know I am "spouting MQA" why bother? Time to move on or share you ideas about MQA alternatives (if you ever had one, better check google first):)

It's very interesting that the malcontents complained about my preference for MQA in the MQA thread. I start a NEW thread about everything BUT MQA in case you hate it and they STILL can't contribute much about what they DO like that is not MQA. 

Do you see a pattern here? No posting about gear, music, nada, just incessant whining. 

If you got a better alternative to MQA feel free to post. If you want to moan about your personal issues there are other threads here or start you own, yeesh!

53 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

It's very interesting that the malcontents complained about my preference for MQA in the MQA thread. I start a NEW thread about everything BUT MQA in case you hate it and they STILL can't contribute much about what they DO like that is not MQA. 

Do you see a pattern here? No posting about gear, music, nada, just incessant whining. 

If you got a better alternative to MQA feel free to post. If you want to moan about your personal issues there are other threads here or start you own, yeesh!

Are you having fun? Do you think you're smart? You purposely start a thread titled If You Hate MQA Now What?

Then you complain that people are still talking about MQA, and you call them malcontents. A very obvious attempt to bait others for the pleasure you get from lighting the match, then blaming others for causing a fire.