IGNORED

If You Hate MQA Now What?

16 minutes ago, NOMBEDES said:

I have no interest in MQA but I will chime in regarding the subscription model.

Now here is a possible middle class household month budget for connectivity:

Telephone Service:   $100 (+/-)

Cable TV: $80 (+/-)

Hulu / NetFlix   $20 (+/-)

Internet:  $50 (+/-)

Amazon Prime: $11.  (music and video)

Tidal etc.... ?

Now comes Disney, CBS and other media companies wanting to build their own pay per view channels.  Where does it end?  Can we afford another bill for streaming?  Can we afford to pay $10. extra for MQA on top of the charge for streaming music?  Media is killing us with both the nickel and the dime.......

T

In some ways I am glad to live in a "dead zone" when it comes to high speed internet, I don't have it because it is not available.  I save all kinds of money! :)

Jim

1 minute ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I don't have cable, but I do subscribe to Hulu (commercial free), Netflix, Amazon (only because I'm a Prime member for free shipping), and a couple of other video streaming services, and of course, Tidal Hifi.

While I can't get everything I seek in the video realm,   I achieve at least one important goal:  I haven't watched a commercial in years.  Of course, I don't watch sports, at all, because sports seems to be little more than a conveyance for commercials.

I know you don't like DSP but I have my Fire TV box connected to the AM Pro and it is a marked improvement over going straight into the processor. The only thing is the AM will not do 5.1.

Just now, witchdoctor said:

I know you don't like DSP but I have my Fire TV box connected to the AM Pro and it is a marked improvement over going straight into the processor. The only thing is the AM will not do 5.1.

"improvement" is, of course, subjective :)

And I didn't say I didn't "like" DSP.  I treat DSP like salt on food.  Just because something is salty as hell doesn't mean it tastes good.

2 hours ago, Fair Hedon said:

Has it not been established this clown is a paid MQA shill, and that his "research" has been funded by Bob Stuart?

Isn't this enough for a banning? He has been shilling MQA 24/7 on numerous other forums with no other topics discussed.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sungyoung_Kim2

I haven't seen any information proving he is paid by MQA or even conducted research funded by Bob Stuart. Can you or anyone else point me to what I'm missing?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

So I go and listen to the aftermaster pro demo.  Obviously it increases volume.  Like about 5 db.  It sounds like it adds some icy reverb.  It pumps the highs some, and lows though not as much.  It might be doing some variable dynamic compression.  Not a revolutionary step forward or even a step forward.  Yuck!  I can turn my own volume up thank you. 

wd's cred just  keeps going down.  

Hey wd, try this one out.  Not sure its my cup of tea, but it is better than aftermaster pro.  

https://www.aria3d.com/

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Just now, esldude said:

So I go and listen to the aftermaster pro demo.  Obviously it increases volume.  Like about 5 db.  It sounds like it adds some icy reverb.  It pumps the highs some, and lows though not as much.  It might be doing some variable dynamic compression.  Not a revolutionary step forward or even a step forward.  Yuck!  I can turn my own volume up thank you. 

wd's cred just  keeps going down.  

Hey wd, try this one out.  Not sure its my cup of tea, but it is better than aftermaster pro.  

https://www.aria3d.com/

Remember this thread is about MQA alternatives. I use the AM Pro between my Fire TV and my pre/pro. It works great on Amazon Music, Hulu, and all the movies available in 2 channel but not 5.1. It does boost volume but really clears up sounds in the background you might miss. YMMV

2 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

It does boost volume but really clears up sounds in the background you might miss.

Oh boy.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I haven't seen any information proving he is paid by MQA or even conducted research funded by Bob Stuart. Can you or anyone else point me to what I'm missing?

Correct no hard evidence. However from what I understand, that is being investigated as week speak, and specific connections have been found and will be exposed.

2 hours ago, witchdoctor said:

Please go to www.aftermasterpro.com and scroll down the page. You will find a bunch of tracks so you can A/B compare. Come back and post your findings and we can discuss.

What is there to discuss apart from the fact that the A/B comparisons are a complete joke? The Aftermaster samples are probably 6dB to 10dB louder than the Originals, rendering any comparison absolutely meaningless.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 minute ago, kumakuma said:

If we've learned anything over the last few days, it's that high fidelity is not how WD rolls.

I will admit, I was all sold on things like "5.1 stereo" and Audyssey room "correction" back when I believed my AV receiver was the end-all for high fidelity.  It wasn't until I was listening to a familiar two-track recording and I heard inexplicable ghosting and bizarre reverb artifacts that through experimentation, I turned all DSP off and listened to what the AV receiver called "pure direct" mode.  Mind. Blown.  I was so used to DSP, I had forgotten all the nuance and subtle detail in the recording.  I now use a dedicated two channel setup installed right in the midst of my video/5.1 setup.  Most of my friends think it's overkill, but I can crank tunes while gaming, with independent volume controls.  Most importantly, I can turn off the TV when listening to music.

Thank you

8 minutes ago, Allan F said:

What is there to discuss apart from the fact that the A/B comparisons are a complete joke? The Aftermaster samples are probably 6dB to 10dB louder than the Originals, rendering any comparison absolutely meaningless.

All good, I have my unit installed with my Fire TV and its a marked improvement with lossy content.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I haven't seen any information proving he is paid by MQA or even conducted research funded by Bob Stuart.

True. But one does not necessarily have to be paid or funded in order to be a shill for a product. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron