IGNORED

What are my rights here  in Ontario canada ? ​​​​​​​

3 hours ago, RoseKloud666 said:

So lower watts does not mean not loud/powerful

Yeah, someone talked you into that. But it DOES mean not loud and not powerful.

Btw, the unit of Power = Watts.

And your speaker is the opposite of efficient. so it requires a lot of power (Watts) to shine. How much we can't know, unless you have a Decibel meter and provide us some data of how loud you like to play. But the 250W feels as a "requirement" disregarding your room size.

Sorry to ruin your day a little ...

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

5 minutes ago, GUTB said:

But that doesn’t matter, all that matters is trying to find out why the victim should be screwed. God I grew up surrounded with that sick attitude.

I've lived for long periods of time in both countries and the U.S., especially under the current regime, would appear to be a better fit for someone of your temperament.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

8 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Yeah, someone talked you into that. But it DOES mean not loud and not powerful.

Btw, the unit of Power = Watts.

And your speaker is the opposite of efficient. so it requires a lot of power (Watts) to shine. How much we can't know, unless you have a Decibel meter and provide us some data of how loud you like to play. But the 250W feels as a "requirement" disregarding your room size.

Sorry to ruin your day a little ...

Thank you

"The only way to feel the noise is when it`s good and loud"

Tho i agree with that  quote , i have never been able to crank it here , neighbours and kids bedrooms right below :)

"Sorry to ruin your day a little ..."

Not atall . Why would you think that ?

Cheers

1 minute ago, RoseKloud666 said:

Not atall . Why would you think that ?

Well, because you were heading to a lower powered amp, as it looks. But me thinks you should not do that. Or at least try it in advance in your own listening room. Good idea ?

XXHighEnd (developer)

Something else is that an amp should be quite overpowered for best results. This is all "spare" current (yes, power converts to current eventually). Someone else said it too : you may run into temporary high current demand and if you can not meet that demand then SQ is just worse.

Anecdotal  : I have a customer who burned his poweramp two times on the exact same passage in Fleetwood Mac - Tusk. It was not an amp from us, but I never understood the why (listening to that track). When he bought a D/A converter from us he wanted the guarantee that it wouldn't be a problem regarding this. So yes, your "obsession" (being scared) is understandable.

XXHighEnd (developer)

12 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Well, because you were heading to a lower powered amp, as it looks. But me thinks you should not do that. Or at least try it in advance in your own listening room. Good idea ?

Thanks mate 

No i wont accept the H 160 

I will accept the H 360 and pay the difference 

Flogging my Sim audio 280 D will help me reach that goal 

Im not sure what to ask for it yet tho

4 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Something else is that an amp should be quite overpowered for best results. This is all "spare" current (yes, power converts to current eventually). Someone else said it too : you may run into temporary high current demand and if you can not meet that demand then SQ is just worse.

Anecdotal  : I have a customer who burned his poweramp two times on the exact same passage in Fleetwood Mac - Tusk. It was not an amp from us, but I never understood the why (listening to that track). When he bought a D/A converter from us he wanted the guarantee that it wouldn't be a problem regarding this. So yes, your "obsession" (being scared) is understandable.

I love Tusk

I ll be extra cautious on that now

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

Couldn’t you understand that’s it not a tube amp? 250 WPC...that would be one hell of a tube amp.

But that doesn’t matter, all that matters is trying to find out why the victim should be screwed. God I grew up surrounded with that sick attitude.

There used to be a lot of 250 wpc and more tube amps. I have owned several, highest was a Manley 350. Most are monoblocks for weight reasons.

But back to the original question, buying a boutique product with limited distribution is always a risk. It appears being from Canada is also an issue. In the US you could always try to receive refund from PayPal or credit card. Cash and no receipt would be tough here.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

29 minutes ago, RoseKloud666 said:

PS

Have I not been here long enough to add an item to classifieds ?

I cant find the option to post there 

Cheers

You have to be an "All Access" member in order to post an item to classifieds:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/store/category/1-all-access-pass/

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

50 minutes ago, RoseKloud666 said:

OOpz thanks mate

How does one become that "All Access" ?

I ve read it through to no avail 

Here is the signup page for monthly All Access membership:

All Access Monthly Membership

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 hour ago, RoseKloud666 said:

PS

Have I not been here long enough to add an item to classifieds ?

I cant find the option to post there 

Cheers

Let me guess. You've got a slightly used amp you want to sell us... :)

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

9 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Let me guess. You've got a slightly used amp you want to sell us... :)

LOL good one mate . Gently loved with zero problems .Original dealer promises to back it up BWAHHH!!!!!

No i would not do that 

Im flogging my Simaudio 280D with mind 

My new amp will have a DAC so i wont need a seperate .I really cant afford to keep it as the new amp thats caught my eye is 2k more , and so far the dealer wants to under cut me for the amp by 1800.00 So over 3k difference 

8 hours ago, RoseKloud666 said:

LOL good one mate . Gently loved with zero problems .Original dealer promises to back it up BWAHHH!!!!!

No i would not do that 

Im flogging my Simaudio 280D with mind 

My new amp will have a DAC so i wont need a seperate .I really cant afford to keep it as the new amp thats caught my eye is 2k more , and so far the dealer wants to under cut me for the amp by 1800.00 So over 3k difference 

Too funny! Just before reading this, I saw your DAC on Canuck audio! I don't expect the on board DAC in the Hegel will be as good as the 280D. But, I understand having to make choices. 

16 hours ago, RoseKloud666 said:

How does one determine  "current capability." in an amp from specs? when deciding on a purchase ?

This is not always easy as the relevant specs are not always quoted.

Theoretically if the amp is not current limited at all then each halving of the speaker ohms will double the power. This is actually quite rare, so the Hegel going from 150 to 250 is quite good.

The only other ways I know of (and I'm not an expert) is the capacity of the power supply itself or a direct quote of current capability.

As for power<-->loudness, each 3dB of loudness in the room (just barely perceptible) requires a doubling of amplifier power; a doubling of the loudness in the room requires 10 times the amp power. So it takes a major difference in amp power to make a significant difference in the loudness in the room.

Greg

15 hours ago, Indydan said:

Too funny! Just before reading this, I saw your DAC on Canuck audio! I don't expect the on board DAC in the Hegel will be as good as the 280D. But, I understand having to make choices. 

It went almost immediately 

Of course tire kickers and price cutters

I got full price :)

Thanks for reminding me i need to remove ad 

14 hours ago, GregWormald said:

This is not always easy as the relevant specs are not always quoted.

Theoretically if the amp is not current limited at all then each halving of the speaker ohms will double the power. This is actually quite rare, so the Hegel going from 150 to 250 is quite good.

The only other ways I know of (and I'm not an expert) is the capacity of the power supply itself or a direct quote of current capability.

As for power<-->loudness, each 3dB of loudness in the room (just barely perceptible) requires a doubling of amplifier power; a doubling of the loudness in the room requires 10 times the amp power. So it takes a major difference in amp power to make a significant difference in the loudness in the room.

Greg

Thanks mate

Thats a good explanation

Mind you im so daft i ll need to read it a few xs LOL

Hi,

I have read some of the replies, including the detailed ones too.

The amplifier seems to have no protection circuitry. That is, the designer has not designed in the protection to ensure that the amplifier output when over driven, causes the amplifier to shut down when a too low impedance is presented, or the amplifier gets too hot.

As such, the amplifier, from the symptoms and results presented, is not adequately designed.

Check out this link :

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/products/851/851w

This is a well known UK audio brand - check the CAP5 protection lower down the page.

Any amplifier that has the consumer safety/protection in mind, should have some form of protection. It adds minimal cost to the amplifier - especially for a $5k amplifier.

If you are to change your amplifier, check that the amplifier has such protection.

Regards,

Shadders.

3 hours ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

I have read some of the replies, including the detailed ones too.

The amplifier seems to have no protection circuitry. That is, the designer has not designed in the protection to ensure that the amplifier output when over driven, causes the amplifier to shut down when a too low impedance is presented, or the amplifier gets too hot.

As such, the amplifier, from the symptoms and results presented, is not adequately designed.

Check out this link :

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/products/851/851w

This is a well known UK audio brand - check the CAP5 protection lower down the page.

Any amplifier that has the consumer safety/protection in mind, should have some form of protection. It adds minimal cost to the amplifier - especially for a $5k amplifier.

If you are to change your amplifier, check that the amplifier has such protection.

Regards,

Shadders.

Thanks mate

Im sold on the Hegel 360 

Is that well protected?

1 hour ago, RoseKloud666 said:

Thanks mate

Im sold on the Hegel 360 

Is that well protected?

Every correctly designed amp, especially solid state ones, will be robust enough to handle standard issues like impedance dips, heat, dirty mains power, etc. Many designers go further and use advanced safety features like computer-controlled anti fault measures. That’s why the amp blowing twice in close succession like that shows that the amp is a dud or the builder can’t design an amp that meets basic quality standards. 90 days warranty is completely out of line with industry standards.

Hegel is very well-known name with lots of history and reputation as a quality builder of amps. The H360 looks like a great product with a lot of technology, I’d strongly doubt that it doesn’t have additional fault protection.

To get the most out of such a powerful integrated I strongly recommend the use of an advanced power cable. Audio Sensability is a Toronto-based cable manufacturer that makes a range of very good cables. What makes them special is that the owner’s family has a relationship with the inventor of OCC (Ohno Continous Cast) copper and gets this Japan-sourced OCC copper cheaper than anyone else. I haven’t gone wrong even once with them and I have a full loom of Testament power cables from them. In fact, I would even say it’s a must.

7 hours ago, RoseKloud666 said:

Thanks mate

Im sold on the Hegel 360 

Is that well protected?

Hi,

Only information i have is from the manual :

"The amplifier will automatically switch itself off if overheated."

There is no other information on the protection of the amplifier.

If you are purchasing from the same supplier/designer/builder of the amplifier that has gone wrong twice, then asking the questions about protection may force them to review their product.

They may decline to follow this up for you, since it is not in the manual, and they may then realise that they have designed a bad product, feel embarrassed or may become awkward. Once you have stated the request for information, they will be notified that you have done some research, and are aware that their product is deficient.

Therefore, as an alternative, i suggest you contact Hegel direct : [email protected]

Quote the speakers you are using - and ask if they are a too difficult load to cope with - they should not be, but asking will back off any issues to Hegel, and you will obtain an answer as evidence should there be any issues in the future.

Regards,

Shadders.

12 hours ago, GUTB said:

To get the most out of such a powerful integrated I strongly recommend the use of an advanced power cable. Audio Sensability is a Toronto-based cable manufacturer that makes a range of very good cables. What makes them special is that the owner’s family has a relationship with the inventor of OCC (Ohno Continous Cast) copper and gets this Japan-sourced OCC copper cheaper than anyone else. I haven’t gone wrong even once with them and I have a full loom of Testament power cables from them. In fact, I would even say it’s a must.

I was curious so I went up to the Audio Sensibility website to see their line-up of power cables. When reading the description of their $1100+ Signature power cable, I came across this little gem:

"Quantum Purification: As electrons interact with the conductive materials of cables and circuits, very low-level (quantum) noises are generated. As quantum noise energy accumulates in the propagating signal, low-level details pertaining to ambience, soundstage, timbre, dynamics, color fidelity and picture resolution are obscured, robbing the presentation of vividness and life.
The Signature Quantum Purification filtering strips quantum noise energy off the electrons, restoring the low-level details discussed above. The Signature V2 power cable adds new design features to improve the efficiency of quantum purification filtering by 30% compared to V1, requiring a larger filter compartment."

WTF?!?!?!  Stripping quantum noise?

A fool and his money......yada yada yada.

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

That is a Bybee purifier. They are transistors made from rare earth metals that are supposed to reduce F/1 noise in currents that are conducted through them. The quantum stuff is just marketing fluff. They are seen in speakers as upgrades and some amps as an option. They are widely reported to work though I never tried one.

I've seen huge improvements with the Testement line -- although the degree of improvement seems to depend on the age/quality of your mains.