IGNORED

Integrated Amp / Stereo Receiver

uyire

I recently purchased a TEAC UD-301 DAC and I really like it (using it with TIDAL HiFi). I am in the process of upgrading my speakers (considering KEF LS50, BMR Philharmonitor and few other options). I am also looking at purchasing an integrated amp with/without DAC. 

Could someone help me with the selection process. My current list:

1) Cambridge Audio Azur 851A - $1699

2) Rotel RA-1572 ($1699) or RA-1570 (Used one)

3) Outlaw RR2160 Stereo Receiver - $799

I am open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks

9 hours ago, uyire said:

I recently purchased a TEAC UD-301 DAC and I really like it (using it with TIDAL HiFi). I am in the process of upgrading my speakers (considering KEF LS50, BMR Philharmonitor and few other options). I am also looking at purchasing an integrated amp with/without DAC. 

Thanks

McIntosh or Pass labs are the only 2 AMPS that i have heard that IMO stand above the rest, and I have tried about 100 amps over the past 3 years.  These are above your budget for new, but you can find both used within your budget.  I have heard good things about a few amps, that I haven't tried (parasound comes to mind).  And contrary to what some say, I think many of the CLASS D amps are awesome.

IMHO, if you stretch your budget a little for a used Mcintosh, you will NEVER regret it, and they hold their value so well (many go up), that you really can't go wrong.

Class D is junk, avoid....but honestly that comes down to how important audio quality is to you. If it’s not THAT important, but still important enough that you want a step above budget consumer junk, a budget Pascal (D-Sonic) or NCore (Nord, Red Dragon) would probably serve. If I wasn’t so focused on quality and soundstage I would have kept a D-Sonic I auditioned a while back. Old Class D products in the Amazon low-$100 tier bracket are unlistenable trash.

I heard a few amps that really impressed me at AXPONA. A huge 845 SET ($12k). An outrageously priced CH Percision. A boutique German amp I can’t remember the name of right now, around $20k. Linnenberg Allegro, which after I listened to it, went over to the dealer table expecting it to be $15-20k...shocked to see it for $5.5k! I ended up buying it, outstanding value.

8 hours ago, zackthedog said:

Sorry, I see the Outlaw is a stereo receiver.  Seems like a good buy.  I've always trusted WhatHiFi's reviews, and they give 5 stars to the Rega Brio and Elex-R and the Cambridge CXA60--all of which are within your budget.

Any idea, if Cambridge Audio CXA60 would be able to power the LS50 or BMR speakers?

>> 60 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (90 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms)

14 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

McIntosh or Pass labs are the only 2 AMPS that i have heard that IMO stand above the rest, and I have tried about 100 amps over the past 3 years.  These are above your budget for new, but you can find both used within your budget.  I have heard good things about a few amps, that I haven't tried (parasound comes to mind).  And contrary to what some say, I think many of the CLASS D amps are awesome.

IMHO, if you stretch your budget a little for a used Mcintosh, you will NEVER regret it, and they hold their value so well (many go up), that you really can't go wrong.

Mcintosh MA6200 is available from a local seller for $1700, is it worth the price? 

1 hour ago, uyire said:

Any idea, if Cambridge Audio CXA60 would be able to power the LS50 or BMR speakers?

>> 60 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (90 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms)

Provided your room isn't too large, and you don't want overwhelming volume levels, 60 wpc should suffice for either one.

8 hours ago, uyire said:

Mcintosh MA6200 is available from a local seller for $1700, is it worth the price? 

you won't be hurt, as it will hold its value...i have not heard the 6200.

I personally would vouch for 6500, 6600, 6800, 6850.

6300 and 6900 have mixed reviews, but imho, you would be content with any mcintosh.

8 hours ago, NOMBEDES said:

I think Job products are very fine products.  They get very good reviews.  Do some research, you will find quite a few good reviews.

JOB INT looks promising and within my (new) budget. Any thoughts on built in DAC performance? Can I return my TEAC 301 and rely on the built in one? Would like to get a budget CD/SACD player as a replacement. 

McIntosh amps are excellent -- although they can sometimes attract the disdain of audiophile snobbery -- but everyone agrees they aren't a great value in terms of price-to-performance.

Anyone in the 5k-6k budget range out to look into the Linnenberg Allegro. These are super-fast, very high bandwdith class A/B monoblocks. Soundstage, resolution, control and speed these things have it all at a price point that seems half of what they are worth. The amp that finally put my 845 SET to rest.

2 hours ago, uyire said:

JOB INT looks promising and within my (new) budget. Any thoughts on built in DAC performance? Can I return my TEAC 301 and rely on the built in one? Would like to get a budget CD/SACD player as a replacement. 

Hard to say as I will be comparing apple to oranges but I used to have a TEAC 501 and with my friends setup I found the Job to sound remarkable and he was just using a small high quality portable DAP. The nice thing is that you have fewer wires to contend with. If you can hear one locally that would be great.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

On 10/17/2017 at 5:18 PM, uyire said:

Thanks

Ask 10 different people, and you'll get 10 different answers (as evidenced here). Best advise is to try them, and make YOUR choice.

Always good to try them however these days with so few real audiophile brick and mortar stores available that is a hard task. Alternatively you can look for a local audiophile group and see if members have what you are interested in.

Perhaps the point of him asking those 10 people with 10 different answers was to find ideas he might not have otherwise considered?

Personally when considering new equipment I usually read multiple forums and as many reviews as possible in order to maximize my confusion. In my Washington DC metropolitan area there are few choices for audiophile equipment other that the usual high-end salon stuff that use expensive massive power and inefficient speakers. 99% of the ideas that have worked for me have come from threads like this on CA, Head-Fi, AudioCircle etc..

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

+1 to the Job Integrated. It has lasted longer than pretty much anything in the past 7 years in my system. A few things to note, though: no headphone amp, no pre-outs, and only one analogue input. If you manage to find a used one, be aware that in all likelihood the analogue input will be digitized. Current production has a fully analogue input. Limitations aside, I can't fault this amp in much, if anything.

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)