IGNORED

Next upgrade...Eames style lounge chair?

I've got two of these guys and enjoy them immensely. Stressless "Wing" is the model

The headrest is pretty high but 75% of the time I'm sitting with my head not resting on it and slightly forward. There is an audible difference with your head fully against the chair but when I do that I'm not listening critically anyway. I like the option to either lounge out or sit at attention and at the end of the day it still all sounds good anyway.

The chair is endlessly comfortable and each time I sit in it I am reminded that its been one of the best audio system investments I've made to enhance long term listening enjoyment.

29508801422_e0e4289a48_b.jpg

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, TubeLover said:

I'm thinking that a classic leather English club chair might be ideal for this purpose. Has anyone taken that route?

JC

The important thing is to make sure that YOU are comfortable for long stints in whatever chair you ultimately choose. Other than that, avoid chairs with headrests that come up higher than your neck, avoid chairs with wings on either side of the headrest. Most  English club chairs seem to be wingback chairs. Sublimely comfortable (especially in pleated leather) but louse for listening to music!

George

1 minute ago, gmgraves said:

The important thing is to make sure that YOU are comfortable for long stints in whatever chair you ultimately choose. Other than that, avoid chairs with headrests that come up higher than your neck, avoid chairs with wings on either side of the headrest. Most  English club chairs seem to be wingback chairs. Sublimely comfortable (especially in pleated leather) but louse for listening to music!

George, thanks for the thoughts on this. The club chairs I've been looking at are the shorter backed styles which reach no higher just above your shoulders. For the very reason you describe. Here is a photo to give you a general idea.

I had the choice of sinuous spring or 8 way hand tied suspension. I opted for the 8 way. It was an upcharge, but it's what my Lee has and that chair has served me very well. Fingers crossed it'll be adequate for several hours at a time of listening. 

30 minutes ago, Nordkapp said:

My new chair arrives April 26. It's been a long time coming. Finally retiring my 20 year old Lee. This one is custom made. 

image.jpeg

Looks like a very well crafted chair but I'm sure it's well out of my price range. The real difficulty I'm finding is that there are only a few stores local to me, where I can try out the chair, and I find that critical. I've been to all three local purveyors and the only chair that was really comfortable was $1800.00 which is way above my roughly $1k budget. I tried out some chairs that gave a very nice appearance but they were either too hard entirely, or the back was too hard, etc. The one I pictured in my previous post looks like almost exactly what I want, and it's affordable, but it is only available from Costco online, so again, no way to sit in it and try it out. :(

JC

Most places will let you return it. However, the chipping charges for a large, boxed chair are not going to be cheap..........

And yes, have heard borderline ridiculous stories about furniture markups. I know people who have gone to large furniture places somewhere down south, and purchased an entire house of furniture that sell at about what passes for wholesale pricing from normal furniture stores. Not sure how to locate these places though, online, or how to tell who you are dealing with and if their pricing is legitimate for the quality, etc. 

Here is one from Amazon that I really like, but again, until you sit in it, you don't know.

JC

91Zv-bpkb6L._SL1500_.jpg

JC

I have an Eames with ottoman, as pictured in the OP.  I hesitated for months because it cost $7K. 

I LOVE IT!!!  Super comfortable and looks like a sculpture in the room.

To GUTB's point, I am 6'2", and I bought the "tall" version, about 1" taller in back than the original.  The bottoms of my ears are above the back of the chair, so I do not believe the issue he notes is relevant.  Ironically, before buying the chair, I was concerned the back did not extend enough.  More ironically, I'm pretty sure I have the general problem GUTB notes because my head is too close to the wall behind me.  

Anyway--a big thumbs up from this Eames owner!

28 minutes ago, emcdade said:

?$web_zoom_furn_hero$&150225123234&wid=1

This one from Crate & Barrel is really comfortable (nice firm cushion), and has matching ottoman.  I just lusted over it last weekend but i really need a sofa in my listening spot.

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/cavett-leather-chair/s254278

I have what I think is a better-made version of the same chair for Joybird:

https://joybird.com/chairs/soto-leather-chair/

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

can it be returned if you get it online?

BTW, the ripoff factor in furniture is huge...

It is but sadly if you want a chair that is built to last decades, I've found you have to be willing to drop some coin. The chair i am retiring cost $1800 in 2000. So by the time I sell it, the annual cost of ownership will be around $80. Not bad. Its kinds how I view buying equipment too. 

1 hour ago, TubeLover said:

Most places will let you return it. However, the chipping charges for a large, boxed chair are not going to be cheap..........

And yes, have heard borderline ridiculous stories about furniture markups. I know people who have gone to large furniture places somewhere down south, and purchased an entire house of furniture that sell at about what passes for wholesale pricing from normal furniture stores. Not sure how to locate these places though, online, or how to tell who you are dealing with and if their pricing is legitimate for the quality, etc. 

Here is one from Amazon that I really like, but again, until you sit in it, you don't know.

JC

91Zv-bpkb6L._SL1500_.jpg

JC

I would at all costs try to find something made in the USA. The workmanship is generally superior to anything overseas (Asia). If you are serious about a chair to last the long haul, that's my advice. But yeah, your price limitation may be an obstacle.

1 hour ago, PeterG said:

I have an Eames with ottoman, as pictured in the OP.  I hesitated for months because it cost $7K. 

I LOVE IT!!!  Super comfortable and looks like a sculpture in the room.

To GUTB's point, I am 6'2", and I bought the "tall" version, about 1" taller in back than the original.  The bottoms of my ears are above the back of the chair, so I do not believe the issue he notes is relevant.  Ironically, before buying the chair, I was concerned the back did not extend enough.  More ironically, I'm pretty sure I have the general problem GUTB notes because my head is too close to the wall behind me.  

Anyway--a big thumbs up from this Eames owner!

I've always lusted for the Eames but my pockets have never been deep enough. That's big boy price territory. Congratulations!

6 hours ago, TubeLover said:

George, thanks for the thoughts on this. The club chairs I've been looking at are the shorter backed styles which reach no higher just above your shoulders. For the very reason you describe. Here is a photo to give you a general idea.

I think that would be a perfect listening chair. Go for it!

George