IGNORED

Next upgrade...Eames style lounge chair?

I am looking to get a new chair and ottoman for my listening room.  I currently use the Ikea Poang chair which for the money is pretty good.  I am looking for something more comfortable for long listening sessions.  It seems like the Eames style chair is a classic that lots of people like.  Does anyone here actually own one (original or replica)?  If so, can you please provide your thoughts on comfort?  Also, it seems to sit pretty low too which may not be ideal for me since my speakers sit fairly high on their stands.

Eames chair:

eames-lounge-chair-and-ottoman-13.jpg

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I can't think of a better looking piece of furniture, but it's actually not as comfortable as it looks. For someone of normal height, that part that looks like a head rest actually falls behind your shoulders. Definitely try before you buy. If it feels too small for you, then I'd recommend a Saarinen Womb Chair. Classic mid-century designing the most comfortable chair I have (or have sat in) by a long shot!

59e624976e8ad_ScreenShot2017-10-17at11_40_28AM.thumb.png.b387e15a74a56c8e815a48dbd2130edd.png

1 minute ago, 34thstreetjohn said:

or someone of normal height, that part that looks like a head rest actually falls behind your shoulders.

Thank you for the reply.  I dont think I am of normal height...I am 5' 6".  

If that headrest falls behind the shoulders thats a problem for me.  I feel like my current cheapo Poang chair pushes my shoulders forward so after a while I feel strain and tightness in my upper/middle back area.

The chair you included in your pic looks very comfy but I am concerned about the curve of the back would cause my shoulders to be pushed even further forward.  I think I may need chair with a very low back like this but I like to be able to rest my head sometimes...

landskrona-armchair-grann-bomstad-dark-b

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I have an original Eames and I love the way it looks, but I never sit in it as it's not that comfy. I have an Ekornes chair that I use most of the time, which is very comfy but looks kinda lame. When I'm doing critical listening or doing comparisons I sit in a small wooden chair that has no obstruction behind my head.

4 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Honest question: I somewhat intuitively believe this as well, but is there any consensus or conventional wisdom regarding this?

Sure, sit in a chair with no headrest while listening, then have someone hold up a piece of cardboard or something right behind your head. It's not that subtle, certainly less subtle than cables or electrical sockets.

11 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Honest question: I somewhat intuitively believe this as well, but is there any consensus or conventional wisdom regarding this?

I learned the hard way. My first chair was a recliner and I could literally hear the soundstage open up as I bent forward off the headrest, causing me to constantly lean forward. This is my new chair.

C3325754-DCFC-45D2-9D77-4E84E2B2CA82.jpeg

+1 on the Ekornes. This version looks nice (they're all comfortable):

http://www.ekornes.com/us/stressless-recliners/stressless-london-high-back/london-high)

Also, I'm not sure of the advice about avoiding a headrest for the sake of soundstage. Might be listening room dependent. I have a fairly live room and find that imaging improves if I prop a couple couch pillows on the wall behind my head. 

Maybe the Ekormes low back version will be good for my shoulders:

citylow575x465.jpg?h=465&la=en&w=575

Other components:

11 minutes ago, 34thstreetjohn said:

+1 on the Ekornes. This version looks nice (they're all comfortable):

http://www.ekornes.com/us/stressless-recliners/stressless-london-high-back/london-high)

Also, I'm not sure of the advice about avoiding a headrest for the sake of soundstage. Might be listening room dependent. I have a fairly live room and find that imaging improves if I prop a couple couch pillows on the wall behind my head. 

how many feet to the wall behind you?

3 hours ago, Mordikai said:

how many feet to the wall behind you?

Just a couple. In that position (in some rooms), it can make sense to absorb the first reflections from the back wall since your ears are right next to them. I find that two small pillows right at that reflection point reduce some glare without messing with the imaging or room sound. Otherwise, in a more more forward listening position, I agree that absorption right behind your head would screw up otherwise optimal acoustics. That, and a big pillow strapped to the back of your head might look a little ridiculous!

4 hours ago, Mordikai said:

Sure, sit in a chair with no headrest while listening, then have someone hold up a piece of cardboard or something right behind your head. It's not that subtle, certainly less subtle than cables or electrical sockets.

It would be great to find a comfy chair or recliner with a headrest like this:

Chair.jpg

Synology DS1515+ >  PS Audio P10 > Innuos Zenith Mk II running Roon Core > IsoRegen/LPS-1 > Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 > Tekton Double Impact Speakers

6 hours ago, tboooe said:

I am looking to get a new chair and ottoman for my listening room.  I currently use the Ikea Poang chair which for the money is pretty good.  I am looking for something more comfortable for long listening sessions.  It seems like the Eames style chair is a classic that lots of people like.  Does anyone here actually own one (original or replica)?  If so, can you please provide your thoughts on comfort?  Also, it seems to sit pretty low too which may not be ideal for me since my speakers sit fairly high on their stands.

Eames chair:

eames-lounge-chair-and-ottoman-13.jpg

I've got an Eames-style chair, but I don't find it very comfortable. The arm rests are too low and one tends to slip down and out of it because when one sits in it, the chair rocks forward on its pedestal. I keep it for guests and never use it myself. Oh, it's beautiful, no doubt about that and in a photograph from Architectural Digest, in a setting of a modern glass-walled house with other modern furniture (like Maies Van der Rhoe's "Barcelona Chair") it looks great.  If you want a listening chair, buy a listening chair. You want something without a full-width headrest and without wings. If you think about it in terms of your ears, I think you'll see why I say that. Ideally, I'd like to have one of those "home theater" chairs, but the ones I've seen are only available in pairs and I want a single because I live alone. 

George

6 hours ago, Mordikai said:

I have an original Eames and I love the way it looks, but I never sit in it as it's not that comfy. I have an Ekornes chair that I use most of the time, which is very comfy but looks kinda lame. When I'm doing critical listening or doing comparisons I sit in a small wooden chair that has no obstruction behind my head.

My experience with an Eames chair exactly!

George

3 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

If you want a listening chair, buy a listening chair. You want something without a full-width headrest and without wings. If you think about it in terms of your ears, I think you'll see why I say that.

Thank you for the feedback and what you said makes perfect sense.  I need something with a wide, flat back that wont push my shoulders forward.  This one from Ikea looks good but it doesnt have a headrest....reminds of those old Memorex advertisements

AAEAAQAAAAAAAARsAAAAJGRhMDI5MDAwLWQ1MDYtNGVhMC05MWJjLTIyZWM3NmU4NzkzNA.jpg

Other components:

4 hours ago, 34thstreetjohn said:

Just a couple. In that position (in some rooms), it can make sense to absorb the first reflections from the back wall since your ears are right next to them. I find that two small pillows right at that reflection point reduce some glare without messing with the imaging or room sound. Otherwise, in a more more forward listening position, I agree that absorption right behind your head would screw up otherwise optimal acoustics. That, and a big pillow strapped to the back of your head might look a little ridiculous!

Yeah that's pretty close. If the pillows help, great! I used to have a big window behind my speakers and it made for bright early reflections. When I was home alone and could crank the music I would take every pillow in the house and stack them in front of the window. It really helped!

3 hours ago, tboooe said:

Thank you for the feedback and what you said makes perfect sense.  I need something with a wide, flat back that wont push my shoulders forward.  This one from Ikea looks good but it doesnt have a headrest....reminds of those old Memorex advertisements

AAEAAQAAAAAAAARsAAAAJGRhMDI5MDAwLWQ1MDYtNGVhMC05MWJjLTIyZWM3NmU4NzkzNA.jpg

For optimum listening, you don't want a headrest! Maybe a neck rest , but you want your ears clear of any encumbrance 

George