IGNORED

Radio Paradise Update

Am I the only one here that is excited about this? I love Radio Paradise and listen daily. I’ve discovered so much music listening to this station it would be hard to quantify. Anyway, free lossless streaming from this wonderful station. (Of course, you can always support them with a donation if you choose.)

The lack of excitement is probably due to no link to the actual FLAC stream. It only seems to be available indirectly via their app.

BTW, free FLAC streaming in hi-res 16/192kHz and with absolutely no interruptions is also available via similar eclectic radio station - JB Radio2. They too have decided not to provide a link to the FLAC stream on their website, but you can easily find it on their icecast server's status page:

http://209.126.66.166:10999

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

According to BillG on the RP Listener forum, the RP iOS & Android apps use a proprietary mechanism in order to access and play the FLAC source files directly from their online server, rather than connect to a true FLAC internet radio stream. Apparently they intend providing software for Linux hosted devices (such as the Raspberry Pi) in order to do the same processing of the RP FLAC files. However, you are going to have to wait until next year for that.

http://www.radioparadise.com/rp_2.php#name=Forum&file=showtopic&topic_id=24790

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Man in a van said:

JB-Radio flac seems to have stopped since this last weekend.

This seems to be correct, unfortunately. Even if the FLAC signal obviously was only a 16/96 FLAC container for an upsampled original 320 kbps source, it attested that a FLAC based internet radio is possible and largely failure-free receivable. 

Anyway, I'm listening to JB Radio for several years now and the 320 kbps AAC stream is still available. I'm permanently switching between JB Radio2 and Radio Paradise when I'm listening to music by the way, the catalogue is almost congruent, a suitable song for me is available on one of them nearly always. 

On 10/17/2017 at 11:37 AM, Melvin said:

I love Radio Paradise and listen daily. I’ve discovered so much music listening to this station it would be hard to quantify.

Me too! Been listening to RP for close to 15 years now. I donate most years and I've even visited the station and had lunch with Bill and Rebecca.  Really great people--and true music lovers.

On 11/7/2017 at 10:24 PM, #Yoda# said:

On 11/7/2017 at 9:14 PM, Man in a van said:

NoJB-Radio flac seems to have stopped since this last weekend.

This seems to be correct, unfortunately.

JB Radio2 broadcasts on IceCast and a quick search on the IceCast directory reveals that the FLAC stream has been moved to a new server, status page at:

http://199.189.87.9:10999/

Sorry, I did notice the change a couple of days back and seeing the recent activity on this thread has reminded to post the info here.

Even if the FLAC signal obviously was only a 16/96 FLAC container for an upsampled original 320 kbps source, it attested that a FLAC based internet radio is possible and largely failure-free receivable. 

Couldn't agree more, though I believe the FLAC stream actually operates at a resolution of 16/192kHz, so even more overkill!

Anyway, I'm listening to JB Radio for several years now and the 320 kbps AAC stream is still available. I'm permanently switching between JB Radio2 and Radio Paradise when I'm listening to music by the way, the catalogue is almost congruent, a suitable song for me is available on one of them nearly always. 

Ditto - I find that the only difference between RP & JBR2 is that JBR2 behaves as a true jukebox, with absolutely no interruptions - so no DJ.

-- Jo Cox

No worries, Ronnie. Thought it best for you to join the dots yourself, as JB Radio2 have stopped providing the official link on their website. No need for any Linux wizardry, BTW, if you open the linked m3u playlist file.

All's well here mate, it's getting bloomin' cold though. Yeah, I know - you just can't resist saying it in that lovely Stark accent of yours, "Winter is coming". Just make sure it's all worth it, by sending us some snow in time for Christmas!

John

-- Jo Cox

7 hours ago, Cebolla said:

JB Radio2 broadcasts on IceCast and a quick search on the IceCast directory reveals that the FLAC stream has been moved to a new server, status page at:

http://199.189.87.9:10999/

Hi John,

thanks for the new link. It's working fine on my Auralic Aries with vTuner, but unfortunately not so far with the TuneIn link of my Linn Majik. It seems as TuneIn has changed the procedure for adding or editing personally URLs. 

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

If you are running the MinimServer UPnP media server, you could try using its http network stream support to list internet radio streams as if they were music file tracks in a playlist. It'll accept either the radio stream's URL or the URL to a playlist file (.m3u or .pls) containing the radio stream's URL. The URLs need to added as standard entries to an M3U playlist file, which will allow MinimServer to process them via its normal support for M3U playlists. For example, a single entry (two rows) in the M3U file for an internet radio station stream:

#EXTINF:-1, JB Radio2 (Flac)
http://199.189.87.9:10999/flac

If your network audio file player cannot play the stream directly, then you can configure MinimServer's optional MinimStreamer package to manipulate the stream in order to provide additional stream information and/or even transcode the stream to another audio file format. For further info, see MinimStreamer's user guide:

Routing network streams via MinimStreamer

-- Jo Cox

• 2 months later...

hello came across this as i had nothing else to do after syracuse lost to fsu in 3 ot's

i had never heard of RP before- just started listening but it only played through my internal speakers on my mac mini not out through the ME2 DAC and to my AVR-is there something special i have to do-i even downloaded the app for my iPhone and that doesn't play even if i hit the play icon

went on an exploration after reading RP FAQ-do i need VLC and is it 'safe' and what about ICECAST it that 'safe'

basically  would like to hear how RP's FLAC/HiRes streams sound through my ME2 and speakers and headphones

any help would be appreciated

bobbmd

BTW-this is more fun than watching the eagles/falcons

10 hours ago, bobbmd said:

just started listening but it only played through my internal speakers on my mac mini not out through the ME2 DAC and to my AVR-is there something special i have to do

Hi bobbmd,

when you open the System Preferences in your MacOS click on "Sound". Under the tab "Output" you can select the connected output devices. Choose the ME2 or your AVR and try it again.

@#Yoda# thanks but am well aware of that-regardless of what i do still nothing out to the ME2 and my AVR even tried using tunein still no sound tunein wouldn't even play! sometimes my mac mini seems to have a mind of its own ie if i go to audio midi the sound icon won't even move to ME2(yet music plays through ME2 for say ROON A+3 TIDAL and Qobuz) and for past several weeks my Schiit Gungnir is no longer recognized by anything yet if i plug in my DFRed it is recognized and music plays through it

i'll keep fiddling and see if i can get PR to play other than through the internal Mini's speakers

is PR available through any other sources? ie ROON internet radio and what about those 2 .org sites i asked about -VLC and ICECAST are they safe sites?

@bobbmd There are not so many parameters for adjusting sound output in the preferences of a Mac, strange! As a temporary but not really satisfying solution, you can use headphones with your Mac mini to get better sound quality. 

Concerning the media player software, I don't know any software that is 'safe'. I've never used ICECAST, but VLC is open source and they are updating the software frequently and closing known security flaws quite fast.

As far as I know, you can use Roon Internet Radio to playback the RP stream if you insert the direct server link: http://stream-dc1.radioparadise.com/aac-320 at "Add Radio Station".

@#Yoda#thanks again tried to get it on ROON and ROON said it couldn't find the station at that URL-i did get RP to play on my iPad with those new iPhone earbuds sounds 'ok' but will add my DFRed with camera kit adapter and see if the DAC improves soundquality

thanks for your help

i think i once had icecast and discarded it had tunein also will redownload it as i still have an account and will try VLC

bobbmd

@bobbmd I've found a smart workaround for the FLAC issue but an Apple Airplay enabled device is required. If your AVR can receive Airplay, you should download the RP app to your iPad, if it is a newer one with iOS 11 (for FLAC compatibility) choose FLAC as Bitrate in the preferences and stream the signal via Airplay to your AVR.

I've tried it with my Auralic Aries and my Linn Majic, both work fine and the sound quality is really good. 

On 1/14/2018 at 3:41 PM, bobbmd said:

what about those 2 .org sites i asked about -VLC and ICECAST are they safe sites?

On 1/13/2018 at 11:15 PM, bobbmd said:

what about ICECAST it that 'safe'

16 hours ago, bobbmd said:

i think i once had icecast and discarded it

Hi bobbmd,

The Icecast (server) software is what RP uses to broadcast its internet radio stream, so it just simply requires you to use an application that can receive such streams (eg VLC, TuneIn, etc). Icecast streaming is a very common method used for broadcasting internet radio, so it's very likely that if you are using software or a hardware device that can receive internet radio, it also supports Icecast.

You most definitely don't need to go to the icecast.org site to get your own Icecast server, unless you want to start broadcasting your own internet radio!

Incidentally (& coincidentally, given the posts mentioning FLAC), going to the icecast.org site should be as safe as going to the FLAC site. They are both part of the suite of projects run by the Xiph.Org Foundation.  

John

-- Jo Cox

On 14/01/2018 at 4:04 PM, #Yoda# said:

I've never used ICECAST, but VLC is open source and they are updating the software frequently and closing known security flaws quite fast.

As far as I know, you can use Roon Internet Radio to playback the RP stream if you insert the direct server link: http://stream-dc1.radioparadise.com/aac-320 at "Add Radio Station".

You are certainly receiving Icecast from RP, go up a level on your link to see its Icecast server page:

http://stream-dc1.radioparadise.com/

-- Jo Cox

3 hours ago, Cebolla said:

You are certainly receiving Icecast from RP, go up a level on your link to see its Icecast server page:

http://stream-dc1.radioparadise.com/

I know and agree, ICECAST, as far as I know, is just a distribution platform and service provider for internet radio stations without an own user interface.You are correct, in principle I'm using ICECAST as service provider for the infrastructure in the background, but there is no existing frontend software from ICECAST. 

Speaking of front end/user software for internet radio, does anyone here have some favorites?  I don’t mind—and kind of prefer—if it is web page based, but it needs to be sortable, comprehensive (all the world’s stations listed) and informative.

SHOUTCast is the only one that comes to mind, though I have not looked for a while.

Thanks.