IGNORED

Cheapest way to physically back up 15TB

Between music, video, and photo files, my Synology 1515+ NAS is approaching 15TB. I was using a few WD 4TB portable hard drives to create backups, but would like a one-unit solution that is cheap enough to have a couple physical backup copies of the library off site. So far, the best solution I have come across is a WD 16TB RAID External Hard Drive for $599 on Amazon:

59e543be286d4_WDDrive.thumb.jpg.f9789fcddd40e7ccc81969e40f20eca7.jpg

Besides online storage, are there any convenient 15-20TB physical drive options that are more affordable?

Synology DS1515+ >  PS Audio P10 > Innuos Zenith Mk II running Roon Core > IsoRegen/LPS-1 > Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 > Tekton Double Impact Speakers

2 of these 8TB internal HDD's, I've seen them as low as $199.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178748

And one of these for $33

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1DS3N87187

Far cheaper than a NAS.   Extremely easy to insert and remove HDD's.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

13 minutes ago, plissken said:

You guys may be missing what seems plainly stated:

Storage: Online

Actually I think you missed it.  He doesn't say storage online.  Actually he is contemplating an external hdd that is more expensive than just buying the internal HDD"s with the dual docking station I suggested.  Which is also more versatile.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

1 hour ago, plissken said:

You guys may be missing what seems plainly stated:

Storage: Online

My original post did mistakenly say this, I have since corrected it. Apologies for the confusion!

I am looking for physical storage options that I can store in a couple of locations away from home.

11 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

2 of these 8TB internal HDD's, I've seen them as low as $199.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178748

And one of these for $33

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1DS3N87187

Far cheaper than a NAS.   Extremely easy to insert and remove HDD's.

I like the idea of this, but for only $200 more, the WD 16TB unit seems much better reviewed and more reliable.

Synology DS1515+ >  PS Audio P10 > Innuos Zenith Mk II running Roon Core > IsoRegen/LPS-1 > Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 > Tekton Double Impact Speakers

• 2 months later...

How do you execute the NAS to raw drive scheme?  Any special tricks to the replacement of an old BU with a new?  Seems that is one big delete?

How many copies off site are desired 2?  I like 3 versions so that during a BU the source and BU can fail and I still have another.

- Copy NAS to 16TB raw drive for cold storage off site

- Copy NAS to another 16TB drive for a redundant cold storage off site

- Retrieve first 16TB drive and delete it before making another copy from NAS? 

For the application you seek, the WD 16TB RAID External Hard Drive @ $599 seems to be the best option for secondary back up of your data at the best price point. Although I chose a OWC solution to accomplish the same objectives, I did so at a cost of $1,179 comparatively.

Music Server Operating System: 2010 Mac Mini OS X 10.9.5 (Maverick); Preferred Digital Interface(s): USB, FireWire, S/PDIF Coaxial (RCA); Digital to Analog Converter(s): Esoteric K-03; Esoteric DV50S, Bel Canto RefLink; Preamplifier: Rowland Synergy IIi, Class'e SSP-800; Amplifier(s); Rowland M312, Bryston 6BSST; Loudspeakers: Avalon Indra's, B&W Signature 805's, Kharma Ceramique Center, Kharma Ceramique Sub; Miscellaneous: Amarra 4.2, OWC Mercury Elite Pro Qx2 HDD (12TB)

This may be a bit off topic but, ElviaCaprice and CatManDo and others, how do keep track of music stored on multiple off-line drives. An Excel or Word document? Are there any solutions to keep track of and virtual search - including tags and file characteristics - whats offline before physically engaging the physical  drive and its contents.

I've been looking at this problem.  I was a Crashplan user and it was easy.  But they have closed their Home User plans.

I don't want that to happen again so I'm starting to think of a second NAS stationed as a friends place, will give me complete control.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

58 minutes ago, hardline said:

This may be a bit off topic but, ElviaCaprice and CatManDo and others, how do keep track of music stored on multiple off-line drives. An Excel or Word document? Are there any solutions to keep track of and virtual search - including tags and file characteristics - whats offline before physically engaging the physical  drive and its contents.

How would you get your metadata into Word or Excel? Unless there is a script or app for that, I wouldn't want to type it in manually. I use the simplest method I can think of. Create an iTunes library for each drive. There's a menu command to save the Songs By Album to a PDF file like this:

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 5.24.45 PM.png

You can use Tag&Rename (http://www.softpointer.com/index.htm) and I suppose other tag programs to export tag and file information of an entire scanned disk. Using the export wizard function an excel document can be created. I guess a master spreadsheet can be made by combining together individual excel drive documents.

While Tag&Rename is a recommended program for recognizing dsf and dff files - I do not think that it can process the iso files of : dvd-a, bluray audio, and sacd files. Also associated files (that I would like to come up in my virtual search) within my album's folder would not be listed in the excel document, files such as album/disc pictures, pdf-booklet, commentary and the like.

On 12/30/2017 at 4:37 PM, beerandmusic said:

Just saw this, thanks! It's a no-brainer to split my library between two of these drives for half the price of the price of the 16TB Western Digital NAS, or even get four and have two separate offsite copies.

If you have a computer

On 10/17/2017 at 1:51 AM, PhilR said:

Between music, video, and photo files, my Synology 1515+ NAS is approaching 15TB. I was using a few WD 4TB portable hard drives to create backups, but would like a one-unit solution that is cheap enough to have a couple physical backup copies of the library off site. So far, the best solution I have come across is a WD 16TB RAID External Hard Drive for $599 on Amazon:

If you upload everything to Jottacloud  (which also requires a PC at least temporary), you could then purchase new HDD's to you NAS, as I understand your main problem is space ? Or maybe you're only after a easy backup solution ?

You must be aware of that you get 16 TB in a stripe which normally is considered very unsafe , and only 8TB as RAID 1.

You may look into Thunderbolt daisy chaining, which I don't know noting about.

The easy way is another Synology. They most likely have read built in sync SW for what your probably looking for.  Or how about Synology expansion units ?

22 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

If you have a computer

If you upload everything to Jottacloud  (which also requires a PC at least temporary), you could then purchase new HDD's to you NAS, as I understand your main problem is space ? Or maybe you're only after a easy backup solution ?

You must be aware of that you get 16 TB in a stripe which normally is considered very unsafe , and only 8TB as RAID 1.

You may look into Thunderbolt daisy chaining, which I don't know noting about.

The easy way is another Synology. They most likely have read built in sync SW for what your probably looking for.  Or how about Synology expansion units ?

My goal is to have two offsite physical backups of my library. Expanding my NAS just adds more space to what exists, but if something were to happen to it (theft, fire, hardware failure, electrical surge, the toddler having a go at it, etc.), it's all gone. That's where having two other physical backups stored anywhere else comes in. I'm comfortable with backing up 12-14TB into a couple of portable hard drives to create a copy of my library. Maybe not the safest or most ideal way to store the data, but considering the odds of three sets of data failing at the same time (NAS + 2 offsite backups) are pretty slim, it's an affordable and easy choice compared to replicating my NAS at $1000+. Ends up costing less than a couple of years worth of cloud storage too.

6 minutes ago, PhilR said:

Ends up costing less than a couple of years worth of cloud storage too

Jottacloud unlimited is about $99 a year :D

20 TB no problem.

8 to 12 TB portable disks seems to be cheapest solution in any case for an offline solution. RAID options will always cost more.

As a photographer, I have a Drobo 5D that’s the backed up to a Drobo 5C and another external drive. I also have an external drive that I put in a small penguin case in the spare tire boot. I figure that way it’s always near by to do backups etc. I use an external dock for that. I have nowhere near 15tb though. Even with all of my photography. That’s a pretty staggering amount of music. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

10 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Jottacloud unlimited is about $99 a year :D

20 TB no problem.

8 to 12 TB portable disks seems to be cheapest solution in any case for an offline solution. RAID options will always cost more.

Not a bad price. How long do you think uploading/downloading 15TB of data through them would take on a typical 25Mbps home connection?

15 minutes ago, PhilR said:

Not a bad price. How long do you think uploading/downloading 15TB of data through them would take on a typical 25Mbps home connection?

he, he :o yes, it will take time. You probably need to get a one month boost subscription from your ISP if possible.

(Unless you have access to a PC at work with better speed)

https://www.jottacloud.com/en/

Anyway 5 GB is free, so you can test the real speed for your self.

Estimate time here maybe

http://www.download-time.com/

One TB, maybe a week

This one probably better:

http://downloadtimecalculator.com/Upload-Time-Calculator.html#file=10x2^40&speed=25.00x10^6&overhead=0.9

ScreenShot282.jpg