IGNORED

MQA Blind Test Summary & Summary Comments...

Yes, it appears you should be sorry.  I will be happy to resume this discussion once you have educated yourself on exactly what MQA is, and what it does, as I already have done so.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

23 minutes ago, barrows said:

Yes, it appears you should be sorry.  I will be happy to resume this discussion once you have educated yourself on exactly what MQA is, and what it does, as I already have done so.

Obviously you aren't a Meridian MQA engineer so you have no idea what MQA does. You only know what has been published by said engineers -- that MQA is an end-to-end streaming music delivery format that, among other things, addresses time-domain problems in digital audio via ADC and DAC compensation.

Just now, barrows said:

What is somewhat new with MQA is the compression scheme, but most audiophiles have no need for compression anyway

And the DRM mechanism which we certainly have no need for...

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Why have these digital filtering techniques been widely considered to be a fad and a gimmick? Because you can't get consistent good results out of them; there are trade-offs. That's why it's common knowledge that there's no replacement for bandwidth. MQA seeks to deal with this issue by managing time-domain errors end-to-end, from specific ADC to specific DAC to achieve the best results possible. MQA targets an extremely low level of time-domain error.

We may not care about the bandwidth so much -- but the streaming services certainly do. Let's face facts, straight up: no one is going to stream hi-rez audio on a commercial basis. If MQA does literally nothing else but get studios to release hi-rez tracks for streaming, it's already worth it.

From a subjective listening standpoint, I listened to several MQA products, including the Explorer 2, DFR and Node 2 -- it was only after listening to the Red after it's MQA update and with certain tracks was I shocked by how much better the MQA version was. Just software unfolding didn't make much a difference; it was only after experiencing "real" MQA with tracks that seemed to truly benefit from the process was I able to admit to myself that MQA is real and is worth pursing a central feature of my setup.

42 minutes ago, mansr said:

Qobuz does.

So do several other sites and classical labels.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 hours ago, GUTB said:

Why have these digital filtering techniques been widely considered to be a fad and a gimmick? Because you can't get consistent good results out of them; there are trade-offs. That's why it's common knowledge that there's no replacement for bandwidth. MQA seeks to deal with this issue by managing time-domain errors end-to-end, from specific ADC to specific DAC to achieve the best results possible. MQA targets an extremely low level of time-domain error.

We may not care about the bandwidth so much -- but the streaming services certainly do. Let's face facts, straight up: no one is going to stream hi-rez audio on a commercial basis. If MQA does literally nothing else but get studios to release hi-rez tracks for streaming, it's already worth it.

From a subjective listening standpoint, I listened to several MQA products, including the Explorer 2, DFR and Node 2 -- it was only after listening to the Red after it's MQA update and with certain tracks was I shocked by how much better the MQA version was. Just software unfolding didn't make much a difference; it was only after experiencing "real" MQA with tracks that seemed to truly benefit from the process was I able to admit to myself that MQA is real and is worth pursing a central feature of my setup.

I love the Node, simple, inexpexpenive, flexible, great mqa, and I like the BluOS.

1 hour ago, barrows said:

And this is really a shame.  Streaming services are killing music, plain and simple, just a terrible course of events.  Hopefully, somehow, someone, somewhere will pull us back from the brink, and figure out how to make sure musicians are properly compensated again, otherwise, humanity is doomed, as the benevolent force which is music will absent itself from our lives, mostly...

No, what is killing music is pirating. Didn't you know that?

MQA will go over just like DSD: .00001% will buy the kool-aid as a must-have without reading the fine print. The labels and god knows who else will be able to track these people with the DRM, learn their habits and upsell them on who knows what, or do who knows what with their info - which is fine as it'll likely be a demographic willing to open their wallets for the newest and latest anyway.

Meanwhile everyone else will stick with Mp3 for <$10.

1 hour ago, wushuliu said:

MQA will go over just like DSD: .00001% will buy the kool-aid as a must-have without reading the fine print. The labels and god knows who else will be able to track these people with the DRM, learn their habits and upsell them on who knows what, or do who knows what with their info - which is fine as it'll likely be a demographic willing to open their wallets for the newest and latest anyway.

Meanwhile everyone else will stick with Mp3 for <$10.

DSD has been available and has not gotten traction. MQA was basically made available on Tidal 10 months ago, let's see what happens at the next CES. 

6 hours ago, wushuliu said:

MQA will go over just like DSD: .00001% will buy the kool-aid as a must-have without reading the fine print. The labels and god knows who else will be able to track these people with the DRM, learn their habits and upsell them on who knows what

So MQA is the Trojan that will have to boost the future sales of cat-litter-grounding-boxes?

A mechanism to find and label audiophools?

So it has its use, after all ...

16 hours ago, Fokus said:

So MQA is the Trojan that will have to boost the future sales of cat-litter-grounding-boxes?

A mechanism to find and label audiophools?

So it has its use, after all ...

Of course. This is a fact of life in every online/electronic transaction now. When people hear DRM they are thinking of 20 years ago and some simple tag on your music. A minor sacrifice in their eyes no doubt.

This ain't 20 years ago. If a music studio embeds in the MQA file, you better believe that in the deep fine print of Tidal,etc. usage there'll be a clause saying the studio gets to do whatever they want with that information - including passing it on to other commercial interests. For a fee of course.

21 hours ago, witchdoctor said:

DSD has been available and has not gotten traction. MQA was basically made available on Tidal 10 months ago, let's see what happens at the next CES. 

DSD is two things.

1) a data format both SACD ISO and DSF as well as DFF files,  as well as the proprietary SACD format

2) SDM which is the native format of 99% of DAC chips. Streaming DSD, converted from PCM has traction.

SACD as a physical format has not gotten traction. MQA, being closed like SACD, is another SACD. Like PCM, DACs will convert MQA streams to SDM and it  is highly unlikely to get traction as a native DAC format.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

DSD is two things.

1) a data format both SACD ISO and DSF as well as DFF files,  as well as the proprietary SACD format

2) SDM which is the native format of 99% of DAC chips. Streaming DSD, converted from PCM has traction.

SACD as a physical format has not gotten traction. MQA, being closed like SACD, is another SACD. Like PCM, DACs will convert MQA streams to SDM and it  is highly unlikely to get traction as a native DAC format.

Please post a link to where I can stream DSD, thanks

6 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

Thanks, I meant a streaming service like Tidal or Napster. That www.signalyst.com looks like software.

I've heard of people streaming using Roon, and Roon can use HQPlayer to stream SDM across the local network to a DAC (NAA). 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

10 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

Thanks, I meant a streaming service like Tidal or Napster. That www.signalyst.com looks like software.

I suspect that what jabbr is suggesting is using software to convert a (cloud streamed) PCM signal to DSD, and then send it on to the DAC.  Because so many DACs these days are doing their final conversion at DSD (and higher) rates using SDM converters, this approach the DAC to do less, and often sounds better than just using the original PCM.  Of course Jussi's excellent filter algos also have something to do with this...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

14 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

You asked the question. He answered. While you believed you understood what you think he said, you apparently did not realize that what you assumed is not what he meant. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron