IGNORED

Noticed? High Sierra: iTunes send 24/96 to iPhones

10 hours ago, kirkmc said:

There's nothing new here. Macs have long supported 24/96, as long as you choose that setting in the Audio MIDI Controller app.

iTunes on the Mac supports whatever PCM rate the hardware supports, but in the past, it has not supported sending higher than 48/24 to iPods / iPhones / iPads, etc.  This has changed in the latest version of iTunes / iOS 11 - now supports up to 96/24.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Does this mean that with iOS 11, I can copy a 24/96 ALAC from my iTunes on my computer to the Apple Music app on my phone, and then play it bit-perfect (using the Apple Camera Adapter) from my phone to a USB DAC? If so, awesome! Plug-and-play 24/96 without cumbersome equipment or exotic software at almost every house I'll visit, provided it has a reasonably modern stereo – even if the owner has no experience of hi-res audio.

13 minutes ago, Jay-dub said:

Does this mean that with iOS 11, I can copy a 24/96 ALAC from my iTunes on my computer to the Apple Music app on my phone, and then play it bit-perfect (using the Apple Camera Adapter) from my phone to a USB DAC? If so, awesome! Plug-and-play 24/96 without cumbersome equipment or exotic software at almost every house I'll visit, provided it has a reasonably modern stereo – even if the owner has no experience of hi-res audio.

Yes.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

17 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

followup question - what do I have in iTunes when I rip an SACD like I did this morning?

I assumed only the Redbook layer was recorded...

You are correct. iTunes can only access the Redbook layer of Hybrid SACDs.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

32 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

That's what I thought.  I need a way to stick ~~24 SACDs into iTunes - a cheap & easy way... tho I could buy another box of transistors for only that use

The only way I know to extract the contents of an SACD is to use a PS3 of a certain vintage (original method) or certain Oppo/Pioneer models:

These methods allow you extract the DSD files from the SACD. You would then need to convert the DSD files to PCM  (ALAC or AIFF format) for use in iTunes.

Once upon a time there were folks out there doing this as a service but I'm not sure if they're still around.

29 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Yes, I've looked at that thread - it's what I meant by buying another box...

This was the company I was thinking of:

http://www.goldeneardigital.com/sacd-dsd-audio-extraction.html

Probably a cheaper/easier way to go if you only have 24 SACDs to rip.