sockpit

micro/ultraRendu - support thread

Rate this topic

Thanks for the help to resolve my Brooklyn+ MQA problem.

Although I do now obtain an MQA light on my Brooklyn+ streaming via the microRendu from Tidal Masters, I still have a problem in that with the ympd player volume set to 100% I now get very severe distortion on almost all MQA tracks I play which makes them completely unplayable. I obviously need to attenuate the USB volume on my Brooklyn DAC to avoid this, but when I was experimenting before your fix, I appear to have set the USB volume control in the Brooklyn menu  to 'disable' and I am not able to re-enable it.

It's getting late here. I'll try to get some advice from my Brooklyn retailer tomorrow.

Thanks.  

You can uninstall ympd....it was just a simple way for me to see what the other controllers had volume set to. Just to clarify playback is now bit perfect and the distortion is downstream of the Rendu:) 

Thanks Jesus, and many thanks for sorting out this problem for me. I don't think I'd have got there by myself.

I have fixed the attenuation problem on my Brooklyn+ DAC with some advice from my retailer, and so music files (of all formats) are now playing without any of the overload distortion I was getting with the controller volume set to 100%.

I am now able to stream MQA files to my DAC in bit perfect form from both Tidal Masters and my own Synology NAS, and they are now unfolded properly by the DAC. I have come across a couple of supposedly 'Master' albums on Tidal that do not display the appropriate blue or green light, but the problem there must lie with Tidal and I guess they are not actually MQA encoded. 

I can also confirm (for anyone else going down this route) that I am not limited to the MConnect app, because the Lumin app that I prefer also streams bit perfect MQA to my DAC as well. I have ordered a 2.7 upgrade, and when I get that I will probably switch to Linn Kazzo which I am familiar with on my other system.

Once again, thanks very much for your help and patience.

52 minutes ago, mackh said:

...I can also confirm (for anyone else going down this route) that I am not limited to the MConnect app, because the Lumin app that I prefer also streams bit perfect MQA to my DAC as well....

Isn't that because the Mytek Brooklyn is a MQA DAC, and not because of anything the Lumin App is doing to the MQA stream?

Just curious...

49 minutes ago, rodrigaj said:

Isn't that because the Mytek Brooklyn is a MQA DAC, and not because of anything the Lumin App is doing to the MQA stream?

Just curious...

Undoubtedly!

However, I had read in other posts that when Lumin was being used to give access to Tidal it appeared not to provide a bit-perfect stream. It appears that this is not the case.

As a footnote to this saga. I have now had a chance to listen to quite a number of Tidal Masters, and I have to say that I am pretty impressed by the sound quality of most of them. 

However, I believe that the Lumin app must be doing 'something' to the Tidal stream, because although some albums are delivered to my Brooklyn DAC in MQA, most Tidal Master albums I stream using the Lumin app do not register as MQA on the DAC. In contrast, it appears that all Tidal Masters (including those that don't work when using the Lumin app) are delivered correctly to the DAC when I use the MConnect app.

Very strange - I don't understand how the Luman 'problem' can be inconsistent in this way.    

56 minutes ago, mackh said:

As a footnote to this saga. I have now had a chance to listen to quite a number of Tidal Masters, and I have to say that I am pretty impressed by the sound quality of most of them. 

However, I believe that the Lumin app must be doing 'something' to the Tidal stream, because although some albums are delivered to my Brooklyn DAC in MQA, most Tidal Master albums I stream using the Lumin app do not register as MQA on the DAC. In contrast, it appears that all Tidal Masters (including those that don't work when using the Lumin app) are delivered correctly to the DAC when I use the MConnect app.

Very strange - I don't understand how the Luman 'problem' can be inconsistent in this way.    

So maybe time to try Roon ? 😂

You may be very surpised....

12 hours ago, R1200CL said:

So maybe time to try Roon ? 😂

You may be very surpised....

Yes - I have considered Roon, but I really don't think  that I would make much use of its key features.  It's relatively expensive to set up properly, and I think it may be one of those things that requires a decent demonstration in order for the concept to be fully appreciated.

I am relatively happy using Lumin with my microRendu/Mytek Brooklyn+ for normal listening, or MConnect when I want to listen to Tidal Masters (which incidentally I have found to be surprisingly (to me) very good indeed). 

I will shortly be updating the firmware on my microRendu to vs 2.7 which will allow me to use Linn Kazoo on this setup - I already use Kazoo on my main system which uses a Linn Klimax DS/1. This of course will not be without its problems, because Kazoo will not be able to identify Tidal Masters. My intention will be to create Tidal playlists using MConnect which I can then play on Kazoo. It becomes almost as complex as setting up a Roon enabled system. 

2 hours ago, mackh said:

It's relatively expensive to set up properly, and I think it may be one of those things that requires a decent demonstration in order for the concept to be fully appreciated.

You can use your Synology NAS. 😀

The Hans Beekhuyzen YouTube channel or project will give you a good understanding. 

And there is a 14 day free trail. A good thing to test out now in case there will be a Black Friday offer. 

Setting up Roon is extremly easy. Not complex at all.

And you even get the first MQA unfold as i suppose you know. 

All your Tidal playlists will show up as well. 

@barrows

Is it possible to exchange the RJ45 port on a Rendu with fiber optic ethernet ?

My understandings for your posts in the EtherRegen thread is that such an interface would benefit the Rendu.

6 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

@barrows

Is it possible to exchange the RJ45 port on a Rendu with fiber optic ethernet ?

My understandings for your posts in the EtherRegen thread is that such an interface would benefit the Rendu.

No.

Help Please!

I just purchased a used MicroRendu with 1.4 hardware.

I'm running Audrivana 3.2.12 on my Macmini. Been running fine before connect directly to my DAC.

In the Audrivana preferences  audio system there is no selection for the Rendu in the dropdown box.

Now my macmini shows the Rendu in my shared network devices.

I updated to Sonicorbiter 2.7 and confirmed I have the green active for the DLNA mode in the app switcher.

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 4.14.32 PM.png

Edited by al210
added screen shot

3 hours ago, al210 said:

figured it out.

Had to select compatibility mode for the DLNA renderer in Sonicorbiter.

Good catch...we are going to add A+ to that list. 

Quote of the day: 

This is uninitiated honest feedback from a customer...

"I have received the Ultrarendu and use it 1,5 weeks with LPS 1.2. So, here are few words:
1. - I should have bought it before - it’s amazing! I’m happy!
2. all setup to start play music took 5 min! Great OS"

Comments No 3 and 4 have to do with native DSD and DoP on Chord and asking about improving things over the network input.