IGNORED

MQA RMAF Live!

This is sounding like it's going to be another defense of MQA.  Another 'pay no attention to the man behind the curtain'.  I'd have walked out by now.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Defense? It's presented as almost a public service to the masses because they haven't gotten on-board with high res.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

35 minutes ago, esldude said:

The gap between redbook (or even high rate data compressed audio) and 96/24 or DSD or any thing like MQA is so exceedingly small and always will be that it is going exactly nowhere. 

Indeed. And so many other issues affect the result in much bigger proportion...

Worse with MQA, there are possible real tangible easily perceived benefits to DSP in several stages of the playback chain, and MQA invalidates their use.  If for no other reason whatsoever it should be roundly, soundly rejected.  

Exactly my point. A lot of people use DSP to fix room issues. This is not rare, every room has bass modes and in most instances the only way to deal with them is either via DSP of the bass, analog crossover adjustment, or room treatment (but this one is limited to dedicated listening rooms for the most part). So completely agree with you here...

And lets not mention DRM...

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Well worth watching  ... ummm, was it about MQA? The key point was "selling the experience", which I agree with 100% - but of course, the industry does do a terrible, terrible job of this ... I gave up expecting any reasonable delivery of such a loooong time ago ...

The "Ferrari experience"?? Yes!!! This fell into my lap 30 years ago, on my own tweaked setup - and ever since nearly everything else gives me 20 year old bottom of the range car, with 200,000 miles on the clock vibe - but still costs like that Ferrari !!! No wonder people aren't interested ... :P

There are 300M people who watch TV based on the latest Nielson stats.  Assume those same people watch movies at home and go to the theater.  There are 100M people who stream music.  While I was surprised at the number of people who stream, it's still 1/3rd.  There was a constant comparison to the video broadcast affiliates.  Out of 300M people how many can see a difference between 108Op and 4K HDR?  Out of 100M people how many can hear a difference between 320 mp3 and 96K flac?  Also consider the delivery method of those 100M streamers.  How many are listening through low quality ear buds which degrade the ability to hear the difference?  What are they doing while streaming; exercising or other activities maybe listening at work.  Not focused 100% on the music.  Consider that a 96k album costs around $20 where the mp3 $10.  2x the cost.  Same as Tidal HiFi vs basic.  These facts make high sample rate recordings much slower to sell.  Only when the cost drops will high sample rate recordings have a fighting chance.

I'll write more but I leaned on Danny hard enough that it may have changed his plans a bit. Everyone avoided the topic of MQA around me and others said it was rarely mentioned. 

I sit in the second row and most like the questions I ask. A couple of times Danny wanted yes answers and the first thing he heard was my no.

33 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

I'll write more but I leaned on Danny hard enough that it may have changed his plans a bit. Everyone avoided the topic of MQA around me and others said it was rarely mentioned. 

I sit in the second row and most like the questions I ask. A couple of times Danny wanted yes answers and the first thing he heard was my no.

Right after your first interaction with Danny:  I'm not sure if/how his 2 L.A based musician buddies can speak for ALL musicians/artists, regarding not caring about how the sound quality the end user hears the music on. I thought that was a silly sweeping generalisation. Unless he was just speaking about those 2 buddies that don't care, which is fair enough.

From ~34mins onwards

I found the comments in the audience interesting at the end around ~57mins and ~59mins.

I may have mis-heard but there was a gentleman that said he spoke to a music exec at a previous audio show and there are other things being worked on separate to MQA? Or separate Hi-Res streaming format?

My ears popped up! What was that about :o

Thank you Chris.

For those who can't bear more than 14 minutes of this, start at ~ minute 56. Then 3-4 minutes later the fun is over but you keep on watching because only a few minutes left.

Good that you stayed because you can see the real moron standing up.

What was he doing anyway ?

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

5 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Everyone avoided the topic of MQA around me and others said it was rarely mentioned. 

Possibly my English isn't good enough to see what you're saying here.

Anyway, maybe there comes a time for real that people start believing that Hires-Audio doesn't bring a thing.

Hires-Audio02.thumb.png.49bfee4a3469571a5dee19f3fcf5e3a7.png

... says he who just created this for the MQA playback ...

Stubborn me.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

I have to say a big thanks to Chris @The Computer Audiophile for recording and streaming this.

But sadly this presentation ended up (no way of knowing beforehand of course) being "as useful as t!tt$ on a bull", as we sometimes say.

Pls continue these streams in future though Chris (whenever possible)! It's cool for those of us on the other side of the world that may never get to attend these kinds of things.

Just how long are we going to be subjected to this BS?  What is it going to take to convince these folks that they are being taken for a ride.  

I mean seriously ... 

But thanks Chris. Just great to get stuff like this on CA!

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

19 hours ago, plissken said:

Of course the musician heard it in the highest fidelity they could. They here it in the recording studio, they hear it live, they hear the rough mastering...

The bit I find particularly interesting is the claim that musicians/producers verify the MQA result in the studio... How does that actually work?

Do they play the original and then a roundtrip MQA-encode/MQA-decode and they say in a blind test which they prefer? For every production?

Given there are no tunable parameters in the MQA-encoding step other than possibly a tuning to the ADC used (which I find dubious in most multitrack recordings where different ADCs might be used, and some pure digital sources might be blended in as well) what are the options if they prefer the non-MQA version?

These types of claims are what enrage people...

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

10 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Anyway, maybe there comes a time for real that people start believing that Hires-Audio doesn't bring a thing.

Stubborn me.

Hey Peter,

If you know I'm there conversations with supporters of MQA or members of the press which is about the same thing tend to stop.

Ken Forsythe of MQA and I had a brief encounter and I expected him to ask questions or make comments and he did not. 

On the other hand people who oppose MQA and other areas where we have common ground were very welcoming. Once MQA goes away then I can focus with many others on some marketing ideas that will help the industry in the US.

6 minutes ago, miguelito said:

The bit I find particularly interesting is the claim that musicians/producers verify the MQA result in the studio... How does that actually work?

Do they play the original and then a roundtrip MQA-encode/MQA-decode and they say in a blind test which they prefer? For every production?

Given there are no tunable parameters in the MQA-encoding step other than possibly a tuning to the ADC used (which I find dubious in most multitrack recordings where different ADCs might be used, and some pure digital sources might be blended in as well) what are the options if they prefer the non-MQA version?

These types of claims are what enrage people...

Got to agree with you.  And MQA Ltd and their supporters seem to be in a mode of throwing out every claim they can think of to see what sticks. 

12 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Stubborn me.

Peter, I am having trouble getting the image of the chart you posted to be large enough to read and still be clear. Is there a way for you to post it for download in a larger format? Or is it already somewhere that I can access?

It would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers, Al. 

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A