IGNORED

Good Non In Ear Headphones For Working Out?

As the title says, Ia m in need of a good pair of over ear cans for working out. Unfortunately, I cannot use IEM's due to some ear surgery I underwent years ago. Nothing sitting inside my ear is comfortable at all. I'm having difficulty finding anything that appears to be sweat resistant and offers good sound quality. Thanks for any help with this.

JC

1-Nike-Air-Max-2013-Mens-Running-Shoes.j

plus-icon-91547.png

maxresdefault.jpg

I have to ask what your means of working out is.  There is sweat pooling at your feet and there is never getting your aerobic system above the point talking becomes difficult.  In any case you should treat them as disposable and expect to clean them after every workout if you expect any lifespan.

The ghetto blaster reference could serve to remind you how many people wore on ear headphones to workout in the 70's & 80's.  I can't recommend anything but you should be fine despite it not being a popular item or usage currently.  They are going to quit working and you do risk getting shocked.  What is life without a little excitement though. 

Working out, in the particular case I am concerned with is stationary cycling and using the rowing machines at the club I belong to. I'm pretty certain that they won't allow ghetto blasters into the club. It's very important, though, to have a source of music when doing these exercises or you go mad having to do the work in silence.

JC

No, I was comically suggesting lugging around the ghetto blaster en plein air as a full body exercise that removes head phones from the equation.  

As I feared, you are one of the people who sit in a growing puddle of sweat to recreate an outdoor activity.  Like instigating a personal loudness war to be the coolest guy in the mile wide epicenter.  Traditional over ear headphones have a similar effect and might be considered a nuisance in spite of being your best option.  Cans sound great though I can't see how you would avoid getting a rash or sores using them in that environment.  

Have you considered bone conduction headphones?   

9 hours ago, rando said:

Missed the edit window: Traditional on ear headphones broadcast sound to the surrounding area at the same volume as the person wearing them hears it.  

There is enough other noise in the gym from machines being used, etc. so that wouldn't be a problem.

JC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They're not going to stay on your head, the sweat will ruin them, and if you do find a pair that will stay on your head while you work out, the pressure they exert on your head to be that well fixed to your noggin is going to give you a headache and make you feel like your brain is in a vice. Not a good idea. People don't wear earbuds to work out just 'coz. It's because that's your only real option.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, without any options, this idea is dead in the water. Unfortunately, my workouts done without the benefit of music are clearly much more difficult, stressful and less effective than they would be with it (proven previously). I guess at some point it simply is what it is.

JC

9 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Well, without any options, this idea is dead in the water. Unfortunately, my workouts done without the benefit of music are clearly much more difficult, stressful and less effective than they would be with it (proven previously). I guess at some point it simply is what it is.

JC

Here are some ideas:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/koss-portapro-for-exercise.614585/

Massdrop sees a version of the Koss Portapro.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

8 hours ago, rando said:

Can I ask why you disqualified the bone conduction headphones I linked to?  In all honesty that appears to be your best option.

I greatly appreciated the recommendation. However, in discussing them with someone who owned a pair, he said that while they filled the need that I had, they really were not what he would call high fidelity headphones. In the end, due to lack of options, I may still try them though.

JC

On 10/7/2017 at 9:01 PM, TubeLover said:

As the title says, Ia m in need of a good pair of over ear cans for working out. Unfortunately, I cannot use IEM's due to some ear surgery I underwent years ago. Nothing sitting inside my ear is comfortable at all. I'm having difficulty finding anything that appears to be sweat resistant and offers good sound quality. Thanks for any help with this.

JC

I'm in the same situation as you, but without the surgery. I just can't stand any IEM. I put a little time into researching a good product and am happy to share.

I had three boxes that needed to be ticked off with the headphones:

-good SQ & build quality

-closed ear (drowns out the gym's loud music)

-inexpensive enough that I don't mind scratching them up (your mileage may vary on this one, everyone has a different definition of "affordable")

The V-Moda Crossfade seemed to be the best bet at a reasonable price. Great reviews, good build quality, and good sound. I was able to score a lightly used set from Ebay that included the optional extra thick earpads which seem to be a necessity with these. They also make a wireless version, but I'm not a fan of Bluetooth sound.

The earpads are leather, but I generally don't sweat buckets during my workout so it's not uncomfortable for me. When I have broken heavy sweats, the heaphones are still manageable with some quick towel wipedowns. I'm usually in the gym for an hour, and they don't put any uncomfortable pressure on my ears for that time. They are also tight enough that I can lie on a bench and not have them fall off backwards. Overall I'm really happy and they have held up well over a few months. I use them with an Opus #1 DAP.

V-Moda.jpg

Opus1.jpg

Synology DS1515+ >  PS Audio P10 > Innuos Zenith Mk II running Roon Core > IsoRegen/LPS-1 > Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 > Tekton Double Impact Speakers

17 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Thanks very much for sharing your experience with the V-Moda's. Would love to go with them, but by midway through my workouts, I have sweat pouring down my head almost non stop, and am concerned that repeated use would, given that circumstance, would result in ruining them.

JC

Not sure if there are any sweat/water proof HP out there.  

I use two HP when working out -  Bose QuietComfort 35 (still the standard in the noise cancelling/wireless space) and an AT M50x's when I go the wired route.  I sweat when I work out (most males do) and even though the pads and band get pretty wet, I simply wipe them off when I am done.  Never had any problems.  Both of these phones have a good (if not flat) FR and are reasonably resolving (especially with the kind of music used during workouts).  I don't consider either expensive, particularly the M50x's (street price down to $160 I believe) so if they did go belly up I would simply purchase another pair.  I currently pair both with an LG5 smartphone, usually Tidal, either HiFi or 320kps (not that this playback chain/environment is resolving enough to matter). 

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!