IGNORED

Allo Digione

Hi John &

Sounds like you’re having fun! ?

I have to say I found the power supply arrangement a bit counterintuitive initially.

And speaking of power supplies (do I ever speak of anything else? ?) ... I couldn’t help myself and I tried out one of those UWB 7805 regulators you showed us ... I think you’ll very much enjoy it!! ??

Hope to see what it’s done to the measurements tomorrow if I get time, but I definitely know what it’s done to the sound (with my system and electrical supply). Seems to me to combine the very best bits of the LT3045 and the 7805 ... be really interesting to see how you feel about it!

Very much appreciate your finding it and then pointing it out, thanks! ?

Hello Rod &

I’m very happy to hear the new regulator is working so well for you; I picked up my example, today. I imagine it’ll be a few more days before I have all the parts I need to complete the build - I am excited about it!

Our local pbs classical fm station has been stripped to the bone, but King FM, in Seattle, is still wonderful and I’m hoping that the streaming quality will at least be acceptable.

Inclement weather forecast for the weekend and so looking forward to being holed up and focused on this project!

Glad I could be of help, returned the favour!

Will keep you posted!

John

• 5 weeks later...

Greetings everyone! 

I thought I'd report back and explain that I finally have my streamer up and running. Currently, I'm using Volumio; it was a fairly easy install and allows me to use my Ipad to control everything. However, I'm finding limitations, such as: while King FM, in Seattle, is listed, it won't load and play. I've also subscribed to Spotify premium, primarily because they offer high def tracks, but, I'm not able to access them from Volumio (it may be possible, but, at this point, not looking that way). 

I've built a voltage regulator, as Rod described, but I can't comment on how it influences sound as I've not listened any other way - all I can say is it's solid at 4.97v . 

My home stereo system is very revealing and while listening to web radio, when the recordings are high quality, the sound will go holographic, but, if not, they can sound bad, like flat sounding, bright mp3's. 

I think that covers it. I can see that I've opened the window on a new world, will be a further learning and I hope a delightful listening experience - currently listening to a Berlin classical station from southern Ontario, Canada! Amazing. 

Thank you everyone!

John 

Hi John &,

Great to hear you have got it all up and running, and it sounds like you’re getting good sound quality?

Funnily enough I was wondering a couple of days ago how your build was going.

That is slightly the trouble with high-res systems isn’t it though; that when it’s good it’s very, very good but when it’s bad, etc ...?

I shall have to follow your lead and explore some other OS’s too!

Best,

Rod

Hello All,

I'm not all too familiar with the Allo, but still contemplating a DigiOne Signature Player with a 3rd party LPS.

My aim is very limited: to stream off SoundCloud and send the coax/spdif to my Mutec re-clocker.

1) Which OS should I choose?

2) How simple is it to set the operation up?

3) How do I load SoundCloud app onto DigiOne?

4) How do I control it over an Android phone?

(I suppose the DigiOne streams off the net, not my phone=>DigiOne).

I'd appreciate every answer, partial or full.

Thanks!

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

20 hours ago, Dr.J said:

Greetings everyone! 

I thought I'd report back and explain that I finally have my streamer up and running. Currently, I'm using Volumio; it was a fairly easy install and allows me to use my Ipad to control everything. However, I'm finding limitations, such as: while King FM, in Seattle, is listed, it won't load and play. I've also subscribed to Spotify premium, primarily because they offer high def tracks, but, I'm not able to access them from Volumio (it may be possible, but, at this point, not looking that way). 

I've built a voltage regulator, as Rod described, but I can't comment on how it influences sound as I've not listened any other way - all I can say is it's solid at 4.97v . 

My home stereo system is very revealing and while listening to web radio, when the recordings are high quality, the sound will go holographic, but, if not, they can sound bad, like flat sounding, bright mp3's. 

I think that covers it. I can see that I've opened the window on a new world, will be a further learning and I hope a delightful listening experience - currently listening to a Berlin classical station from southern Ontario, Canada! Amazing. 

Thank you everyone!

John 

If Internet radio is your thing, I recommend trying a DietPi installation.  That's what I use.  See https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2317 for the latest Raspberry Pi GUI image and instructions.  Scroll down to the Download/Getting Started section.

DietPi will give you a wide variety of audio software to install and run.  See picture below.  The ones with asterisks are the ones installed by default.  It's very easy to install and uninstall others, though.

For accessing Internet radio stations (and for other things, if you like it), I recommend running SqueezeLite on the Pi and installing Logitech Media Server (LMS) on a computer on the network.   Alternatively, you can install LMS on the Pi instead (entry 35 on the list below).  When I run LMS/Squeezelite I like to run LMS on a computer that's always on and connected.  But I realize not everyone can do that.

LMS/Squeezelite will give you a very thorough and usable interface for finding and playing Internet radio stations all over the world.  Your KING FM works and sounds pretty decent.

By the way, if anyone likes Radio Paradise (I do), there's a LMS plugin available that allows streaming of the lossless (FLAC) Radio Paradise stream.

Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 9.11.03 AM.png

Hi, Clipper &

thank you so much! I'm going to give this a try, buy another micro sd card and load it with DietPi, see where that will take me. 

Yes, King FM, in Seattle, is a great classical station!

I think I'm also going to download some hd tracks and see how they compare. 

John 

7 hours ago, clipper said:

If Internet radio is your thing, I recommend trying a DietPi installation.  That's what I use.  See https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2317 for the latest Raspberry Pi GUI image and instructions.  Scroll down to the Download/Getting Started section.

DietPi will give you a wide variety of audio software to install and run.  See picture below.  The ones with asterisks are the ones installed by default.  It's very easy to install and uninstall others, though.

For accessing Internet radio stations (and for other things, if you like it), I recommend running SqueezeLite on the Pi and installing Logitech Media Server (LMS) on a computer on the network.   Alternatively, you can install LMS on the Pi instead (entry 35 on the list below).  When I run LMS/Squeezelite I like to run LMS on a computer that's always on and connected.  But I realize not everyone can do that.

LMS/Squeezelite will give you a very thorough and usable interface for finding and playing Internet radio stations all over the world.  Your KING FM works and sounds pretty decent.

By the way, if anyone likes Radio Paradise (I do), there's a LMS plugin available that allows streaming of the lossless (FLAC) Radio Paradise stream.

Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 9.11.03 AM.png

Can you please tell me know if SoundCloud is on thar list? 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]

Surround

On 11/25/2018 at 9:50 PM, Dr.J said:

Hello Rod &

great to hear from you and thank you for your guidance and encouragement! The project has turned out well, opened a new window on audio and maybe a bigger can of worms! lol 

Again, thank you!

John 

Hi John,

That is great to hear it’s all going well, and I’d have to say a big thank you ? to you for pointing me in the direction of those NewClasD regulators. In my system they comfortably outperform everything else I’ve tried inc LT3042/5 providing an ideal -balanced - sense of drive and control!

Just one thing, I seem to remember you using an 11v Supercap? I’m no expert on supercaps (other than knowing that they can sound great) but I have read that if a Supercap is overdriven continuously it can explode. I wonder if it might be worth putting another one in series to (effectively) give you a 22v Supercap 0.5F capacity, if you’re driving it with the 12v iPower to give you some headroom there?

And thanks again for the NewClassD tip! ?

Best,

Rod

Hi, Rod &

I'm glad the new Class D voltage regulator is working so well for you. As you know, I'm using it, as well, but have nothing else to compare it to. My digital system sounds good - it lacks some of the three dimensional body that I get with my hot rod Sansui tuner, but, now I can hear the short comings in my tuner - it's noisier and is more limited at the frequency extremes, as compared to the new digital streamer. I'm hoping that when I get a chance to change the raspberry setup and access higher resolution recordings that this will be the ultimate prize - time will tell. 

I've checked and my supercap is rated for 12v and I'm powering it with 9v and so well within spec. I checked the operating temp and it's just above room temperature at 74.8 degrees; so, I think it's fine. Thank you for the heads up, though. 

I'm thinking of switching out the 10uf cap, on the output side, to a 47uf cap that I have; will see. 

And, you're welcome, Rod, glad I could to be of some help - I certainly appreciate the help you've given me! 

Thank you,

John 

Hi John &,

A Sansui tuner. Now that’s v interesting! I remember hearing a TU919 at a dealers years ago ... and being absolutely bowled over by how good it sounded (and looked) but sadly couldn’t afford it. (Had similar reaction to the Yamaha CT7000). Which model are you using, if you don’t mind my asking?

If the Signature is sounding in anything like that kind of ball-park that (IMHO) is praise indeed!

Funnily enough I’ve been alternating 10 and 47uf output caps, and I just can’t decide which I prefer.

Do tell which you prefer, and I think I’ll just copy you ??

Best,

Rod

Hi, Rod &

I'm using a Sansui TU-9900. I recapped and modified the tuner quite a bit and at times and depending on the material, it sounds holographic; only the TU-X1 is considered better. 

The Signature sounds cleaner than the Sansui, but is less three dimensional, is lacking in body (sometimes sounds sterile if the recording is poor quality); but, as I explained, the Signature reaches higher and lower. I need to feed the Signature a high def recording, see how that goes by comparison. 

Overall, I'm pleased with the outcome. 

If I switch out the 10uf for the 47uf, I will keep you posted. 

Thanks,

John  

Has anyone compared the Signature to the SOtM sMS-200Ultra? I know, those are two different price categories, but serving the DAC spdif / coax can yield better SQ over USB. 

Stereo

Surround

13 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

Has anyone compared the Signature to the SOtM sMS-200Ultra? I know, those are two different price categories, but serving the DAC spdif / coax can yield better SQ over USB. 

How would you compare the two devices? They have very different outputs!

4 minutes ago, nbpf said:

How would you compare the two devices? They have very different outputs!

A SQ comparison, given your DAC has both usb and coax inputs, is possible. 

My Mutec MC3USB has both, so I'm interested in others' opinions. 

Thank you. 

Stereo

Surround

Does anyone understand how Allo return policy works? Is it 10 days from date of shipment or delivery date? Does one have 10 days to ship it back or 10 days to make sure it arrives back to their warehouse?

I want to give it a spin but without sufficient time it makes no sense.

I'm in Thailand. Any idea of shipping time?

Stereo

Surround

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone & I've added a Wyred 4 Sound, Rememdy Reclocker to my Allo Signature and am happy to report that the results are quite impressive: in my system, web radio and Spotify sound holographic the majority of time. The Rememdy Reclocker converts everything to 24/96 khz.

Before the addition of this device, the sound was mostly flat and lifeless; now, there's a 3d quality to the sound, as if it now lives and breathes - is an absolute joy to experience (at least in my setup).  

I highly recommend this upgrade if you're serious about your digital stream!  

28 minutes ago, Dr.J said:

Hello everyone & I've added a Wyred 4 Sound, Rememdy Reclocker to my Allo Signature and am happy to report that the results are quite impressive: in my system, web radio and Spotify sound holographic the majority of time. The Rememdy Reclocker converts everything to 24/96 khz.

Before the addition of this device, the sound was mostly flat and lifeless; now, there's a 3d quality to the sound, as if it now lives and breathes - is an absolute joy to experience (at least in my setup).  

I highly recommend this upgrade if you're serious about your digital stream!  

A good re-clocker is always a worthy idea. Still, I looked into the Wyerd and I wasn't keen for the potential upsampling and lack of ref10 input. I thought the design was showing its age... 

Eventually, I opted for a Mutec MC3+USB; in fact, a chain of 3, tethered to a REF10. The sound is outworldy. It's difficult to turn the system off. Of course, as you suggest, bypassing the chain is such an obvious and painfully step babk. 

Stereo

Surround

• 3 weeks later...

8 month update. 

5 top tier sd cards all heated up beyond norm and eventually fried from my digione, some fried within minutes and so hot to the touch it would burn my skin so I use pliers to pull them out before potential fire or melting.

I resist contacting Allo for support because of the endless frustration in the past with their support (I was only ever in contact with their division in India and was tossed around to different people within that division).

Although I've only tried using volumio and no other software, i'm sure the allo unit itself is at fault for most of my playback issues, frequent shut downs mid playback, usb wifi card turning off while plugged in, etc etc etc.

That's about 80 dollars or more spent on sd cards already (the initial one provided got very hot and fried within a couple minutes).

I'm posting here because I think I'll have quicker resolve with users on this forum than with Allo's customer support.

Thanks

37 minutes ago, crab said:

I'm posting here because I think I'll have quicker resolve with users on this forum than with Allo's customer support.

I fried my Signature by plugging in my battery power supply into the Raspberry Pi connector. Went to Allo.com and posted on their Contact Me. They got back with me within a day or so and were very active in communicating with me. I was lucky enough to have my original DigiOne to use until they send me a new Signature. By the way, never had the SD card problem...

MacMini Quad i7/Audirvana Studio/USBridge DigiOne Signature Player/Schiit Yggdrasil GS/Aragon Palladium 1 amplifiers/Stacked Energy 22 speakers (Reference Connoisseur on bottom & Pro 22 on top) set tweeter to tweeter/Kimber Monocle XL speaker wires/Straightwire Crescendo & Virtuoso IC/Mordaunt Short 309 subwoofers

On 1/18/2019 at 2:02 AM, crab said:

8 month update. 

5 top tier sd cards all heated up beyond norm and eventually fried from my digione, some fried within minutes and so hot to the touch it would burn my skin so I use pliers to pull them out before potential fire or melting.

I resist contacting Allo for support because of the endless frustration in the past with their support (I was only ever in contact with their division in India and was tossed around to different people within that division).

Although I've only tried using volumio and no other software, i'm sure the allo unit itself is at fault for most of my playback issues, frequent shut downs mid playback, usb wifi card turning off while plugged in, etc etc etc.

That's about 80 dollars or more spent on sd cards already (the initial one provided got very hot and fried within a couple minutes).

Thanks

I never had problems with DigiOne Signature components becoming too hot. Perhaps you just buy a new Raspberry Pi for less than 40$ instead of spending money on SD cards? Any decent 8GB or 16GB card should work fine and do not overheat.