IGNORED

Allo Digione

On 6/1/2018 at 11:55 AM, ALLOaudio said:

Yes indeed... we are working hard to release the best SMPS on the market.

In final stages, we are very close to launching mass production.

Stay tuned, summer 2018 looks promising !

Is this meant to be a PSU for the RPi host, for the DigiOne only or one that provides separate power for RPi host and DigiOne? I will certainly look with interest at this product. If it is going to be a SMPS, please do not forget

• 4 weeks later...

Enjoying my Digione (Volumio) with my SBOOSTER PSU!!!! Listening with my Audiolab DAC and Van Medevoort class A poweramps and Scanspeak speakers. Amazed by the sound quality! Digione is extreme value for money!!! First I tried the USBRIDGE, this didn't connect to my Audiolab though.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to power the Digione independently? I'd like to try configuring similar to how I have USBridge setup with iFi 5v powering CPU board and LPS1.2 5v powering Allo board. The two are very different so far with USBridge being more resolving on transients vs Digione having better harmonic overtone integrity.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

Is there a way to power the Digione independently? I'd like to try configuring similar to how I have USBridge setup with iFi 5v powering CPU board and LPS1.2 5v powering Allo board. The two are very different so far with USBridge being more resolving on transients vs Digione having better harmonic overtone integrity.

Nevermind, found the link for the DC converter removal reading deeper into the thread.

https://github.com/sparkysbc/sparky_linux_images/blob/master/%2B5V external connection_DigiOne.pdf

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

18 minutes ago, amathewk said:

I guess I meant the digione player.

The RPI3 has already a wifi chipset (I suppose you own this RPI version). So, no need of Wifi dongle.

Source : QNAP TS-131, LMS 7.9, Player Digione

Amp+Cables+Speakers : FDA V200, Audioprana Ag Cryo 4 brins, Atohm GT2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 5:53 PM, davide256 said:

Nevermind, found the link for the DC converter removal reading deeper into the thread.

https://github.com/sparkysbc/sparky_linux_images/blob/master/%2B5V external connection_DigiOne.pdf

Has anyone tried this and is it worth the trouble? I have an extra 5V LPSU collecting dust. Easy enough to do but due to unfortunate mishaps in the past don't like unsoldering/soldering surface mounted parts on PCB for nothing.

I have a friend who has done this and said he got a slight improvement 

DigiOne with custom PSU (Supercaped) Coherent Audio Meicord Ethernet Cable IFI USB Silencer x 2Caiman SEQ modified by Coherent Supercaped 

Amps  2x Philips Black Tulips 370 (one per channel) for PRV drivers. Berhinger INuke 3000 for bass drivers

DIY No Baffle speakers PRV 5MR450-NDY and Selenium Neo Bass drivers in Isobarek configuration  

16 hours ago, Emcee said:

Has anyone tried this and is it worth the trouble? I have an extra 5V LPSU collecting dust. Easy enough to do but due to unfortunate mishaps in the past don't like unsoldering/soldering surface mounted parts on PCB for nothing.

Tried it with iFi 5v for RPI and LPS 1.2 for Digione vs powering all with LPS 1.2... difference wasn't significant. The DC to DC converter chip won't be easy to remove

for the average hobbyist because the leads and solder holes are too fine, I had to stress fracture the component leads and solder the PS socket leads

to the leads remaining from the old DC converter

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 8/12/2018 at 2:10 PM, davide256 said:

Tried it with iFi 5v for RPI and LPS 1.2 for Digione vs powering all with LPS 1.2... difference wasn't significant. The DC to DC converter chip won't be easy to remove

for the average hobbyist because the leads and solder holes are too fine, I had to stress fracture the component leads and solder the PS socket leads

to the leads remaining from the old DC converter

Maybe the iFi was the bottleneck (wishful thinking). What do you mean by stress fracture?

Try to avoid ifi ipower with the Digione. The Digione item seems not to like this PSU for the better musicality and performance. Try the standard PSU sold with the Digione player. 

Source : QNAP TS-131, LMS 7.9, Player Digione

Amp+Cables+Speakers : FDA V200, Audioprana Ag Cryo 4 brins, Atohm GT2

2 hours ago, Emcee said:

Maybe the iFi was the bottleneck (wishful thinking). What do you mean by stress fracture?

Cause a stress fracture, IE bend a component back and forth until the wire leads snap at the base from being bent through 180 degrees of rotation. I doubt iFi powering RPI 3 board mattered but I do have split lead cabling and a micro USB adaptor, I'll give the Digione a last try with both boards fed off LPS 1.2... and see if i get any under voltage alarms.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I am now using a Supercaped PSU that I got built by Tony from Coherent Audio which powers the Caiman DAC and Pi I also had the internals of the DAC heavily modified. Results were a  increase in Sound quality that takes the system up to some very costly systems 

DigiOne with custom PSU (Supercaped) Coherent Audio Meicord Ethernet Cable IFI USB Silencer x 2Caiman SEQ modified by Coherent Supercaped 

Amps  2x Philips Black Tulips 370 (one per channel) for PRV drivers. Berhinger INuke 3000 for bass drivers

DIY No Baffle speakers PRV 5MR450-NDY and Selenium Neo Bass drivers in Isobarek configuration  

7 hours ago, r11bordo said:

Try to avoid ifi ipower with the Digione. The Digione item seems not to like this PSU for the better musicality and performance. Try the standard PSU sold with the Digione player. 

I have tried both the ifi iPower and the Allo PSU with and without grounding and I prefer the ifi iPower with grounding. Not a big difference in my system though.

9 hours ago, davide256 said:

Cause a stress fracture, IE bend a component back and forth until the wire leads snap at the base from being bent through 180 degrees of rotation. I doubt iFi powering RPI 3 board mattered but I do have split lead cabling and a micro USB adaptor, I'll give the Digione a last try with both boards fed off LPS 1.2... and see if i get any under voltage alarms.

So it's possible to power the entire Digione Player with just an LPS1.2 that's rated at 1.1A?

@ALLOsupport Can you clarify the power requirements for the Digione Player?

5 hours ago, allo.com said:

I think it depends on what RPI version they have on digione player. It might be possible but we don't recommended it

Its working fine with my RPI 3b+ playing PCM only, using wifi or Ethernet as Roon endpoint.  No under voltage alarms.  YMMV if the processor has a heavier load

or you start using USB power drawing connected devices.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system