IGNORED

Allo Digione

17 hours ago, chauphuong said:

My finished product....

IMG_20180506_230241.jpg

Nice! How is the DigiOne powered here? How does it sound in comparison with a standard setup? Do you still find that a Singxer SU1 attached to a Raspberry Pi yields a better sound quality? Thanks, nbpf

3 hours ago, nbpf said:

Nice! How is the DigiOne powered here? How does it sound in comparison with a standard setup? Do you still find that a Singxer SU1 attached to a Raspberry Pi yields a better sound quality? Thanks, nbpf

Hi, the 30VA Rcore transformer has 2 outputs. Output 1 powers Pi3 through Lt1963 and 3 Lt3045s. Output 2 powers DigiOne through Lt1083 (center of the photo, with the big capacitor). I just followed instructions in the file attached by Allo last page.

2 hours ago, chauphuong said:

Hi, the 30VA Rcore transformer has 2 outputs. Output 1 powers Pi3 through Lt1963 and 3 Lt3045s. Output 2 powers DigiOne through Lt1083 (center of the photo, with the big capacitor). I just followed instructions in the file attached by Allo last page.

Thanks for the clarifications! Do you find that powering the Pi3 and the DigiOne separately has improved the sound quality? How does your server sound in comparison with the Pi3 feeding a Singxer SU1? Best, nbpf

1 minute ago, chauphuong said:

I think it is already better than Pi+ SU1 with the power mod. Highly recommended.

Very interesting, thanks! Do you think that the improvements could have been achieved through a better power supply for the Pi3 (and the DigiOne powered from the Pi3) or do you believe that a separated power supply is crucial for superior sound quality? 

Any update...?

On 4/3/2018 at 6:09 AM, ALLOaudio said:

Update on the new Alu cases (compatible with RPI B & B+)...

Production advancing; milling is being done, then finishing...

will update more once shipping...

6.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

MacMini Quad i7/Audirvana Studio/USBridge DigiOne Signature Player/Schiit Yggdrasil GS/Aragon Palladium 1 amplifiers/Stacked Energy 22 speakers (Reference Connoisseur on bottom & Pro 22 on top) set tweeter to tweeter/Kimber Monocle XL speaker wires/Straightwire Crescendo & Virtuoso IC/Mordaunt Short 309 subwoofers

Pi3x means a rcore transformer providing 5v, 3.3v, and 1.8 power to Pi, bypassing the smps dc converter on Pi (it is removed indeed). This way ensures Pi is fed by full linear power. This helps boost SQ. Adding a DigiOne is another move for better SQ. And finally, modding power source for DigiOne consummate the effort.

5 minutes ago, chauphuong said:

Pi3x means a rcore transformer providing 5v, 3.3v, and 1.8 power to Pi, bypassing the smps dc converter on Pi (it is removed indeed). This way ensures Pi is fed by full linear power. This helps boost SQ. Adding a DigiOne is another move for better SQ. And finally, modding power source for DigiOne consummate the effort.

Thanks!

On 4.12.2017 at 10:53 AM, nbpf said:

A more advanced DigiOne with 5.5/2.1 connector for external power supply and performance comparable with that of a Mutec MC-3+ USB or of a Schiit Eitr (perhaps in different dedicated versions with BNC SPDIF, RCA SPDIF, HDMI i2s, etc. outputs) would the ideal complement for Raspberry Pi based systems. For such a device, I would be happy to pay a higher price tag. 

I am also thinking about it, buying a Mutec MC-3+ USB, did you perform the tests vs Digione?

2 hours ago, Ampega said:

I am also thinking about it, buying a Mutec MC-3+ USB, did you perform the tests vs Digione?

Not really but I have compared the MC-3+ USB to the Eitr about 6 months ago. When I did the comparison, I tended to prefer the Eitr to the MC-3+ USB. Now I run the Eitr and the DigiOne in parallel and while I do not hear big differences, I tend to prefer the DigiOne. If you go for the DigiOne and use a SMPS to power its Raspberry Pi host, please consider grounding it: 

The DigiOne aluminum case is ready:

https://www.allo.com/sparky/aluminum-case-digione-player.html

Party on, Garth!

MacMini Quad i7/Audirvana Studio/USBridge DigiOne Signature Player/Schiit Yggdrasil GS/Aragon Palladium 1 amplifiers/Stacked Energy 22 speakers (Reference Connoisseur on bottom & Pro 22 on top) set tweeter to tweeter/Kimber Monocle XL speaker wires/Straightwire Crescendo & Virtuoso IC/Mordaunt Short 309 subwoofers

7 hours ago, rruffin said:

The DigiOne aluminum case is ready:

https://www.allo.com/sparky/aluminum-case-digione-player.html

Party on, Garth!

Under "modern design" I understand something very different, the case is just ugly! The USBridge case looks much nicer in comparison. If Allo wanted to convey the ideas of simplicity and clarity with a consistent, timeless design, they have failed, in my view. If they just wanted to throw at the market yet another case, then it's probably fine.  

49 minutes ago, Ampega said:

€62 + shipping for this alu case while all the others metal case even steel (hifiberry etc) range around €15-€20 makes me reconsider Allo the manufacturer as a whole.

I would not mind the price if the case was well designed and well manufactured. Perhaps it is well manufactured but the design is simply unacceptable: the case looks like a misproportioned miniature castle with four towers. The BNC connector is so near to one of the towers that I would not be surprised if it would lead to a contact between the case and the cable connector. I certainly will not put my DigiOne in such a case. A Pimoroni Pibow coupe is simple and lean and costs about 10 Euro.  

hi guys,

a few facts about our much awaited BOSS & DIGIONE alu cases:

1> CNC machined (vs extrusion mold for many others including our USBridge) leads to cleaner lines and high precision cuts.

2> Integrated heat dissipation on the middle layer which drastically lowers operating temperatures of the RPI and thus improving overall functionality (heat test)... This is not a negligible point, especially if you run your player like a true audiophile.

3> easy to assemble for the DIYs. We will release a video next week, but its no more than a few minutes and 1 screw driver.

4> functional & discrete.  All the peripherals are easily accessible, no cross contact issues, yet small.

5> Different design >> lets face it, we are dealing with an RPI and add on HATs. We are limited in many aspects when designing the case as we need to keep access to all the connectors. if you look at all the cases out there, there are very small design differences between them, we wanted to offer something different , a black, well cut, fortress like, solid case that is small yet very functional and serves more than one purpose...

this gives me an idea...

we do have our own laser cutting machines which cut our acrylic cases.

if any of you have any design ideas, please share them with me, we can try to make and see what comes out of it!

we will update the pictures and post a video next week.

regards

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone receive their aluminum case yet? If so, how does it look, fit and sound...?

I received my DigiOne in Alu-case yesterday. I've just hooked it up, made the necessary settings and had it up running for just a couple of hours. Initial thoughts are very positive, but I will have to come back later to evaluate things deeper. The box looks nice and sturdy. I'm not thrilled about the design, but it brings a nice feeling of quality. 

I use the Allo standard PSU for the moment, was thinking of buying a Tomanek LPS, but will wait for the moment to see what Allo themselves are up to in that department...