IGNORED

Can Bad Recordings be Fixed?

Just now, fas42 said:

The answer is vastly more than a simple No, or Yes. First all all, why is the recording "bad" - was the equipment used in terrible shape, of poor quality, and imposed a strong distortion signature on the end result; ot was the recording gear of superb quality, the best one can buy, but the mastering "mangled" the raw inputs? There is a huge spectrum here, and the solutions will, or may vary per recording.

I agree that the effectiveness of the "treatment" is inversely proportional to the "disease" (and it's also genre or better programme specific).

That's all.

The degradation starts from the mic onward and any editing of the signal will take its toll.

Mixing and EQ'ing included.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Just now, semente said:

I agree that the effectiveness of the "treatment" is inversely proportional to the "disease" (and it's also genre or better programme specific).

That's all.

The degradation starts from the mic onward and any editing of the signal will take its toll.

Yes, degrading will always take place - it cannot be otherwise, because of the nature of the universe; unless the source is purely digital in form a perfect replica can't be captured. However, the "great miracle" is, that if all due care is taken, with possible 'correction' of the captured data, and then the absolutely highest standard for the replay setup, that subjectively any flaws that can't be easily eliminated matter not one iota - the listening experience is as full, vital, powerful, emotional, as one could wish for - and isn't that the point? Anyway, such is the case, and the goal, for me.

On 11/23/2017 at 10:22 PM, semente said:

You are right of course but as fas42 points out; many parts of that chain create very little distortion.

I would argue that the vast majority of modern music arrives at the mixing desk in glorious 24bit quality, the problem we have is that when it leaves that desk it's often like this:

Norah-_Ruined.png

Which is the resultant track we're supposed to pay real money for to love and treasure.

Note the odd histogram shape - this album has that all the way through, it's not so unusual to see slight differences between the +ve and -ve signals but it's almost like they used a different limiter for each one here. 

I think this was done by an analog limiter, which means an extra DA - interconnects - limiter - interconnects - DA stage for those HiFi purists to consider.

So somewhere sitting on a HDD or tape in a locked room in some faceless building is an unclipped, unlimited, uncompressed perfect copy of that album - perhaps as multi-tracks too - but what we have access to is a poor facsimile. It always seems like the artists go to a lot of effort to get the tune, the lyrics, the sound that they way and pay tens of thousands for a good studio, then when they walk out the door assuming their job is done the 'industry' moves in and proceeds to sell the public a copy that for many is unlistenable; and certainly not a track you'd want to listen to at a decent volume.

I suspect not many artists go into a record shop, buy their CD and then analyse the mastering quality - the odd artist (e.g Katie Melua) does seem to have more than their fair share of well mastered CDs so maybe she does check what goes out of the door to catch any howlers like the one above.

Battling the Loudness War with the SeeDeClip4 multi-user, decompressing, declipping streaming Music Server.

Hi Graham

Many thanks for your indepth posts.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

There's hardly any mention of producers in these conversations but I think that they have at least as much responsibility as the performer with the quality of their products.

1 minute ago, semente said:

There's hardly any mention of producers in these conversations but I think that they have at least as much responsibility as the performer with the quality of their products.

I think that you may find that the guys in the suits ( execs) tell the Recording and Mastering Engineers what they expect from them. (loud and louder!)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

3 hours ago, CuteStudio said:

You are right of course but as fas42 points out; many parts of that chain create very little distortion.

I would argue that the vast majority of modern music arrives at the mixing desk in glorious 24bit quality, the problem we have is that when it leaves that desk it's often like this:

Norah-_Ruined.png

Which is the resultant track we're supposed to pay real money for to love and treasure.

Note the odd histogram shape - this album has that all the way through, it's not so unusual to see slight differences between the +ve and -ve signals but it's almost like they used a different limiter for each one here. 

I think this was done by an analog limiter, which means an extra DA - interconnects - limiter - interconnects - DA stage for those HiFi purists to consider.

So somewhere sitting on a HDD or tape in a locked room in some faceless building is an unclipped, unlimited, uncompressed perfect copy of that album - perhaps as multi-tracks too - but what we have access to is a poor facsimile. It always seems like the artists go to a lot of effort to get the tune, the lyrics, the sound that they way and pay tens of thousands for a good studio, then when they walk out the door assuming their job is done the 'industry' moves in and proceeds to sell the public a copy that for many is unlistenable; and certainly not a track you'd want to listen to at a decent volume.

I suspect not many artists go into a record shop, buy their CD and then analyse the mastering quality - the odd artist (e.g Katie Melua) does seem to have more than their fair share of well mastered CDs so maybe she does check what goes out of the door to catch any howlers like the one above.

Fortunately for me my main staple is Classical.

3 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I don't particularly like pop and rock, Never have, but there are exceptions. I first heard Santana's "Abraxes" recording as a playback in the Wally Heider recoding studio in San Francisco in the early '70's. I was quite taken aback by "Oye Como Va" through Heider's huge JBL monitors in their main control room, The cleanliness of the electronic organ and the purity of Clarlos' electric guitar (without a fuzz box or wa-wa, or any of the other things that make electric guitars my version of the worse sound on earth!) really impressed me. After that, I never minded hearing that piece or Black-Magic Woman. Recently, seeing that a 24/96 version of "Abraxes" was available on HDTracks, I decided to spring for it, thinking that I'd finally have access to a copy of the master that sounded at least as good as the playback I heard at Heider's studio back in the day. Boy was I gypped! the "high-res" version sounded exactly like the recent RedBook CD of the album that a friend brought over so that we could compare - lousy, both of them! (if you haven't heard the master - even through a pair of TERRIBLE JBL studio monitors*, you probably don't know how good the master tape was!).

Sometimes it's the surprising recordings that get it together - I've mentioned elsewhere an album by Alligator Records, Hound Dog Taylor - A Tribute ... house rockin' blues. The dynamic bite and life of this is something to behold - I haven't tried analysing the waveform, but subjectively it feels like it's mighty close to the raw feeds of the microphones, and nothing else.

12 hours ago, CuteStudio said:

Norah-_Ruined.png

I'm confused at the moment - I've got hold of the audio, of that song, "You've Ruined Me" - and the waveform looks nothing like the above - remarkably good dynamics, just by the visuals. Am I looking at the "wrong" version?

On 11/25/2017 at 11:16 PM, fas42 said:

I'm confused at the moment - I've got hold of the audio, of that song, "You've Ruined Me" - and the waveform looks nothing like the above - remarkably good dynamics, just by the visuals. Am I looking at the "wrong" version?

Possibly not, I may be looking at a different version, I'm going to dig out my original CD from the loft this week (when I can brave the cold and finish with the 10+ CDs currently littering the office!!) so hold on until I confirm that I was actually playing what was on that disc and not some hacky mp3 (I'm still re-ripping stuff to WAV - I used to need an mp3 copy of stuff for my iPod).

Battling the Loudness War with the SeeDeClip4 multi-user, decompressing, declipping streaming Music Server.

Here's a better example of uneven limiting I found from Kate Earl's 'Fate is The Hunter' album. Overall a brilliant, 'must buy' CD and about half the tracks are not badly compressed or limited at all, which is rare. The track 'Officer' is a lot better than most modern stuff, but you can see it's still flawed.

What you should see in audacity

Kate_Earl_Officer_Audacity.png

Analysis

Kate_Earl_Officer_Analysis.png

Below is an more typical example of CD limiting, it's very compressed and also limited, the spike at the end of the histogram (RHS of the top-left) is due to mild clipping (the spike if formed by counting the samples sitting at the edge, there's a concentration of them due to the clips).

CGainsbourg555_Analysis.png

The high number of samples and the sharp edge there denotes some major limiting so in practice all the peaks are rough flat-tops, although the musical content of this track doesn't create many very long clips, the longest being 58 samples and the average just over 6 samples.

Here's a control track - Dire Straits, Money for Nothing, showing what a natural histogram should look like. Note the sparsity and natural taper. This actually does have a few points clipped here and there so they're using the full CD and it does sound magnificent. It sounds good in the car too, even a 1980s car to match the time ;) 

Dire_Straits_Money_For_Nothing.png

Note here the thinness of the bright RMS area, compare it to the fatter RMS area shown in the Kate Earl and Gainsbourg tracks. Those tracks have a far higher RMS level than the older ones, but basically the same peak level indicating not just the higher amount of compression used today, but also the limiting and clipping.

It's important to discern the difference, flattened peaks are caused by limiting and clipping, compression itself has a more subtle affect on fidelity.

These two rather separate mechanisms help prevent us from expanding out the damage and most of the harshness comes I think from the squarish shapes of the peaks generating IM distortion.

The Officer track has something I hadn't seen before - the waveform overall has a good look to it, but there is a clocklike beating element which is compressed throughout the track. Which is a giveaway; it's the steady drumbeat, every 0.6 secs, which has been knobbled - again, I attenuated by 1dB to eliminate the reconstructed waveform clipping.

I'll have a go at undoing that beat compression, see if I can get it in better shape.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2017 at 11:34 PM, fas42 said:

Okay, got somewhere - in Audacity, original attenuated by 3dB, and that expanded to get rid of the ruler edges to the waveform. Playing back, no obvious artifacts; and a lot more bite from the backing instruments; no change to the voice.

Officer.thumb.PNG.54244aba4dad44f200156b2606f47809.PNG

Interesting, it always amazes me how important those little peaks are, more bite or 'snap' from the backing is a good description, for me it's a little more like the instruments are in the room.

BTW I did get around to re-ripping Norah Jone's 'The Fall' into WAV and it isn't actually any worse than her other albums now. I then lost interest in that (although I liked the tunes) and decided to re-rip a few more including Solace by Sarah McLachlan and that was much better too, so at some stage I must have ripped at least 2 of my CDs with an MP3 encoder that did more than just encode them. Perhaps an early iTunes or Lame, not sure.

Sadly when I tried re-ripping Katie Herzig's 'Waking Sleep' it was indeed just as bad, but at least it cleans up well to sound quite good in the end. I don't think I've got any left to re-rip now but at least 2 albums have much better sources now, which is a result!

Herzig's chop:

Screen_Shot_2017-12-11_at_17.50.58.png

• 3 years later...

I wish I had run across this thread 4 years ago. I was just getting started using “Perfect Declipper.” Life being full of distractions, I didn’t get to focus on it until a couple years ago when I found some time. Now I have about 12,000 declipped tracks & still plugging away at it. It’s surprising the number of CDs that are clipped. ‘50s jazz, all manner of stuff. Here’s “Return to Sender” from 2007’s “The Essential Elvis Presley.” Top stereo pair as ripped, 2nd pair reduced 6.02 dB for comparison with the third, declipped tracks. 

We’ll likely never know what was lost in the Universal fire. 

61AB1CB8-AB0A-43CC-8D1F-A0DA08B8C334.png