IGNORED

RMAF 2017 Reader Reports

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Ha!  That's nothing George - we're not even a year into the Trumpocracy yet

I wouldn't worry too much about THAT! 2020 will be here soon enough and I'll bet he doesn't even run again (and if he does, he will lose big time). The Dems will sweep both houses in 2018 and that'll put a further hitch in Donny's get-along! Hell Even the republicans don't like him or support him all that much. We need to drop this line of discussion before Chris puts the ky-bosh on us!

George

On 10/11/2017 at 6:42 PM, rickca said:

Looks to me that PS Audio was using Focal Sopra #3.  That is a different product line than my Focal Utopia III.  The Utopia III is their high end.  I can't understand why anyone would run subs with Focal Sopra #3.

Paul McGowen (CEO PS Audio) is a big believer in subs for most speakers. He's written extensively about his rationale and makes compelling cases each time.

The only Focal speakers I've heard were the Scala Utopia Evo and I thought they went incredibly low. I was rather floored at the extension.

On 16-10-2017 at 11:47 PM, gmgraves said:

If I went to Oregon to purchase my new $30,000 car, I would save almost $4000 in sales tax alone.

George, look here :

Georg06.thumb.png.fe7f37e4f49cb6965e98031c26be6d15.png

Your 30,000 is at the top (it is in euros, but never mind). When this car comes to Holland, the price will be the 59,817 you see. This is twice the price now, right ?

The major part is the "BPM" which is 23,517 in this case. I think Holland is record holder in the EU for this amount, which already is close to zero in e.g. Germany.

The VAT of 21% amounts to 6300 in this case.

Our petrol is twice the price as that from the US. So drive a 30,000mi per year and count your additional loss.

On additional "road" taxes such a car will cost something like 450 per 3 months (this depends on the weight).

We have good health care. It costs ~120 minimum (no dentist and such) per person per month with a coinsurance of 385 per year (also per person).

Otherwise, if you see me listing prices for audio, it is excluding the 21% VAT people from the EU need to pay, because the majority of the world would not understand. So people from the EU need to understand that the VAT adds to it and I better put that in words next to the (ex VAT) price.

If goods are imported, it adds ~ 4% duties for EU countries, plus always the 21% VAT.

If goods are imported to European countries not part of the EU (European Community) - and where not VAT applies, it depends on the country but it can easily add 35-40%.

If audio gear is exported to the USA, it is quite common that NO duties apply. And, when we export something this is always without VAT. So example :

You produce a nice amp for 5000. This is imported to the EU and it adds a total of (for Holland) of 1250 and thus a total price of 6250. Plus a small customs broker fee.

When I produce a nice amp for 5000 and this is exported to the USA, you just pay 5000 and zilch more.

Of course this is all with direct sales and no earnings for importers etc.

I think this is the data what you were seeking for.

Regards,

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

4 hours ago, PeterSt said:

George, look here :

Georg06.thumb.png.fe7f37e4f49cb6965e98031c26be6d15.png

Your 30,000 is at the top (it is in euros, but never mind). When this car comes to Holland, the price will be the 59,817 you see. This is twice the price now, right ?

The major part is the "BPM" which is 23,517 in this case. I think Holland is record holder in the EU for this amount, which already is close to zero in e.g. Germany.

The VAT of 21% amounts to 6300 in this case.

Our petrol is twice the price as that from the US. So drive a 30,000mi per year and count your additional loss.

On additional "road" taxes such a car will cost something like 450 per 3 months (this depends on the weight).

We have good health care. It costs ~120 minimum (no dentist and such) per person per month with a coinsurance of 385 per year (also per person).

Otherwise, if you see me listing prices for audio, it is excluding the 21% VAT people from the EU need to pay, because the majority of the world would not understand. So people from the EU need to understand that the VAT adds to it and I better put that in words next to the (ex VAT) price.

If goods are imported, it adds ~ 4% duties for EU countries, plus always the 21% VAT.

If goods are imported to European countries not part of the EU (European Community) - and where not VAT applies, it depends on the country but it can easily add 35-40%.

If audio gear is exported to the USA, it is quite common that NO duties apply. And, when we export something this is always without VAT. So example :

You produce a nice amp for 5000. This is imported to the EU and it adds a total of (for Holland) of 1250 and thus a total price of 6250. Plus a small customs broker fee.

When I produce a nice amp for 5000 and this is exported to the USA, you just pay 5000 and zilch more.

Of course this is all with direct sales and no earnings for importers etc.

I think this is the data what you were seeking for.

Regards,

Peter

Thank You Peter. It's clearer, now.

George

On 10/19/2017 at 7:03 PM, loop7 said:

Paul McGowen (CEO PS Audio) is a big believer in subs for most speakers. He's written extensively about his rationale and makes compelling cases each time.

The only Focal speakers I've heard were the Scala Utopia Evo and I thought they went incredibly low. I was rather floored at the extension.

IMO, the only rationale that counts is sound quality. I repeat my previous observation of the PS Audio room at RMAF. The subs muddied the bass. The Focal Sopra 3's don't need them and sounded much better elsewhere without them. I suppose it could have been the room, but I find it hard to believe that the bass would have sounded worse without the subs.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron