IGNORED

Sierra blocks disabling of unwanted processes

Having finally updated to Sierra, I can no longer disable a number of processes that needlessly clutter the system when playing music files - such as Disabling Virtual Memory Swapping, etc.  I have always used Maintain's Cocktail program (for Apple) to disable unwanted processes, getting the count down to around 60 or so, with well over 98% of the system free.  Not even close to that with Sierra... :(

This is on my MBP, which is ONLY used to play music files.  The music files are used for RoomPlay system/room voicing sessions.

There may be a path to overcome this blocking - which is called System Integrity Protection.

Has anyone used this technique to overcome the blocking and liked the results?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Integrity_Protection

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

More or less permanently in use:

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

http://www.getbettersound.com

2 minutes ago, wgscott said:

I turn it  (SIP) off on all my machines (for other reasons).  Nothing bad ever happened.

How?

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

WOW!  Thanks!!!

Although I agree with Kirk, and in addition I can max out all of my processors compiling something in parallel when listening to music, and never hear even a hint of sonic degradation, I think it is important that people be allowed full access to do whatever they want with their computer.

Apple has decided to take a number of steps to protect the "integrity" of the operating system (which can easily be reinstalled, in case of a catastrophe) by locking it down and protecting it from its owner.  I even had them refuse to do a warranty repair once because I put third-party memory in, rather than their over-priced, rebranded but otherwise identical part. Now they solder it in. Another time they told me installing Fink and X11 apps had damaged my hard drive. Things aren't heading in an open direction.

SIP is a security feature. It prevents apps from installing malicious software in the system space. And I think it's a good idea that it's not easy to turn it off, because people may be tempted to deactivate it to hack with something, then forget to turn it back on. 

You can always run Linux if you want to do whatever you want with your computer. :-)

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

6 hours ago, kirkmc said:

Why is this important? When my Macs aren't doing anything CPU-intensive, they don't use much CPU. Even now, listening to music with iTunes, it's 95-97% idle. And even if it wasn't, do you really think that will affect your music?

It is easily audible (200+ processes running & 97% idle) compared to 64 processes running and the MBP at over 99% idle (includes Audirvana controlling some processes as well).

At least it is on my system - maybe my MBP is different.

1 hour ago, wgscott said:

Or you can turn off SIP in two minutes.

I've "forgotten" to turn it back on for years.   

:)