IGNORED

Storage of files help

I have been storing my files on seagate hard drives as of now I have a 3 TB and a 4TB worried about my files. I need better storage options any suggestions would be appreciated, my files are all high resolution  and sacd thanks Danco ON C

I'm very sorry I should have been more specific as to what I wanted , needed help or information, What I want is storage of files and hard drive failures as to what is the best enclosure and hard drives wd , seagate etc,  and good hard drive enclosure and what do you use?, and I'm very sorry for the lack of information as I can see it confused some of you.  Thanks  Dan.

anada.

First off, does your only copy of these files reside across the 3TB & 4TB drives?  If yes, making a backup copy of them for local storage is your first priority.  There are a few questions you need to ask beforehand.  Such as what your expected rate of music buying is and how much of your collection is listened to regularly.  Keep in mind spinning discs lose performance and secure storage ability above a certain percentage of their capacity when settling on drive sizes across both primary and local backup copies.  As well I'm not sure any 10TB drives at the consumer level can be counted on for long term storage or primary use.

It appears you are asking what the best long term solution unlikely to be instantly behind the times is.  Many here had been using cloud storage until the storer decided they were asking too little by a quarter or better.  In effect you want a working copy, a local backup, and at least one offsite copy.  How to go about that in your case is still an open question.  Give some thought to the questions in the first paragraph so we can more ably lend advice. 

1 hour ago, wgscott said:

It is probably worth worrying about.  Pretty much anything else would be better.

hdd_failure_rates_2014_backblaze.jpg

I keep one copy on a local SSD, mirror it on a HDD attached to my Airport Extreme, and I also keep a remote copy on a NAS at work in case the house burns down.

Any backup strategy for a case of a global catastrophe?

4 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Any backup strategy for a case of a global catastrophe?

5 hours ago, wgscott said:

I keep one copy on a local SSD, mirror it on a HDD attached to my Airport Extreme, and I also keep a remote copy on a NAS at work in case the house burns down.

some people store their "cold storage" backup hard drives in hardened ammo cases.  They claim it would protect the data from EMP blasts. tape storage may also be viable in that case. however, if there is ever a EMP above North America, it would probably be several years until power is restored. It would be hard to wait that long to check the disks in storage!!!

On 10/4/2017 at 5:42 PM, mjt5282 said:

some people store their "cold storage" backup hard drives in hardened ammo cases.  They claim it would protect the data from EMP blasts. tape storage may also be viable in that case. however, if there is ever a EMP above North America, it would probably be several years until power is restored. It would be hard to wait that long to check the disks in storage!!!

Hardcopy Redbook FTW :)

But in reality, listening to music would be the least of your concerns in that case.

Hrrrmmm..Let's see, carry my music collection on my back to the hills or instead maybe another crate of ammo or maybe even a case of water ;)

I'm very sorry I should have been more specific as to what I wanted , needed help or information, What I want is storage of files and hard drive failures as to what is the best enclosure and hard drives wd , seagate etc,  and good hard drive enclosure and what do you use?, and I'm very sorry for the lack of information as I can see it confused some of you.  Thanks  Dan.

On 10/1/2017 at 9:04 AM, danco said:

I have been storing my files on seagate hard drives as of now I have a 3 TB and a 4TB worried about my files. I need better storage options any suggestions would be appreciated, my files are all high resolution  and sacd thanks Danco ON Canada.

As @wgscott posted, I exclusively use HGST discs for a few years now. I use an older low powered "whitebox" -- you could get anything from newegg with say 16gb RAM and put 2 4TB drives in it, or 4 or whatever, you could always upgrade with an external SAS card etc. lots of options.

I load Ubuntu 16.04 on this and use it as a NAS. Mirror both drives. Share it on the network and you have a NAS. Cheap and SOTA.

I have gone through numerous external USB/firewire/SATA enclosures ...

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

That recommendation comes off old data and disregards considerable changes that have occurred.  HGST are no longer the quality they once were.  The simple answer to where the quality went is away with the quantity of smartphones.  The even simpler one is you need to do one hell of a lot of research and get lucky enough to find someone who will even respond when you ask the right questions to bring home some promise of quality. 

Nowadays you need to chase down a very specific model number with an even more specific build date and  batch number that was made in X factory instead of Y factory.  That is just within a single product line which you may nor may not even be able to buy.  Hard truth here is the factory direct store, Newegg, your local computer store, very much stores like Best Buy, industrial supplier, and anywhere else you can come by white or grey market drives will have different model numbers.  Hundreds of them are out there with slight and very important differences in now the drive is built, packaged, or changed to meet one set of legal regulations that differ from another destinations. 

Is that specific enough for you danco or did you count on an easy answer?  If the best solution isn't what you want I suggest you take the advice of internet strangers and hope for the best with that make and model in your home.  :)

• 4 months later...

I am looking for an external USB drive for backup of my music server (2TB) which means I will use that drive infrequently. As far I was reading SSD can loose data if they are longterm without power so HDD is at least presently a better (and cheaper) option. All HDD reviews I found are based on standard usage (daily with rewrites) but not for sporadic backup use. 

Newer technology like Optane or memristor should allow more longterm data storage but it may take an other decade until it becomes affordable. And there is M-disk but too painful for TB of data.

So which external HDD would be a good choice?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...