IGNORED

Just upgraded to OS High Sierra

On 9/28/2017 at 3:38 PM, mjb said:

FLAC playback in the finder (and quick view) is a major reason to upgrade! Finally! Thank you Apple! Also, my impression is that network file sharing (SMB) is much smoother/faster. I really haven't come across any negatives yet, it seems solid and smoother all round... APFS on spinning hardware is not yet implemented/supported, but so what? That will come sooner or later.

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 21.50.13.jpg

Holy sh*t - I'd completely forgotten that this new capability was a possible feature! So glad it made it into the final version - major convenience. Personally I use iTunes with ALAC files, but even so, much of the music I download comes in FLAC format, and I secure-rip and archive all my CDs in FLAC format. So this will make things much more convenient for me, and I imagine many other folks here.

This also means iTunes now can - or I should say could - play FLAC as well, since the same underlying part of the OS would be used to enable iTunes and the Finder to play it. I guess I can understand why Apple has not (yet) enabled that functionality on iTunes, as some more work would be required to do so seamlessly in iTunes, but I'm hopeful that iTunes will soon add FLAC capability.

I was surprised to see iTunes transferring full resolution 96/24 ALACs to my iPod.  For as long as I can remember 48/24 has been the limit (perhaps changed earlier and I missed it?).

I like this very much, as I hated having to convert higher resolution files to 256k AAC to transfer.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

1 hour ago, jhwalker said:

I was surprised to see iTunes transferring full resolution 96/24 ALACs to my iPod.  For as long as I can remember 48/24 has been the limit (perhaps changed earlier and I missed it?).

I like this very much, as I hated having to convert higher resolution files to 256k AAC to transfer.

Very interesting.

No electron left behind.

6 hours ago, tmtomh said:

Holy sh*t - I'd completely forgotten that this new capability was a possible feature! So glad it made it into the final version - major convenience. Personally I use iTunes with ALAC files, but even so, much of the music I download comes in FLAC format, and I secure-rip and archive all my CDs in FLAC format. So this will make things much more convenient for me, and I imagine many other folks here.

This also means iTunes now can - or I should say could - play FLAC as well, since the same underlying part of the OS would be used to enable iTunes and the Finder to play it. I guess I can understand why Apple has not (yet) enabled that functionality on iTunes, as some more work would be required to do so seamlessly in iTunes, but I'm hopeful that iTunes will soon add FLAC capability.

Yes, I'm surprised there hasn't been more excitement about it to be honest. My library is mostly FLAC, and previewing was previously a bit of a pain. Very happy now :D

On 9/29/2017 at 3:25 PM, AudioDoctor said:

At the moment, time machine and APFS are incompatible.

Have you noticed that the icon previews are missing in High Sierra???

Itunes and Amarra show artwork fine but when I look at MP3 or AIF files in finder...the artwork preview is missing???

Fate ain't just whos' cooking smells good but which way the wind blows...

I just completed a clean install to a third machine and icon previews are missing there too...

programs work fine...but looking directly at the files...the images are not displayed...but...they are still embedded.  When I view the files on my Sierra machine...even across the network...the icon previews are fine...

very strange...three different computers...different models...some updates and some clean installs...and none can give icon previews...even tried leaving some external drives nfs, some apfs...no difference...

but my Sierra machine sees, displays and shows them perfectly...

3 hours ago, Arnoldhasmail said:

Have you noticed that the icon previews are missing in High Sierra???

Itunes and Amarra show artwork fine but when I look at MP3 or AIF files in finder...the artwork preview is missing???

No, I have not noticed that because they are working fine for me.  Are you sure you are using the Final Release and not a Beta?

Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 3.54.09 PM.png

No electron left behind.

58 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

No, I have not noticed that because they are working fine for me.  Are you sure you are using the Final Release and not a Beta?

Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 3.54.09 PM.png

Thanks for the response and screenshot...I'm sure. I never even tried the beta...just downloaded it.  Tried a variety of MP3’s and aiff's...also multiple machines. Checked view options...

no idea...too many machines...Jpg's are working properly...just not music files...

and on on so many different machines with different hardware...something wrong...

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

Are you sure the pictures were embedded?

What program did you use to do your CD ripping, tagging, and embedding?

DBpoweramp...I'm a music junkie...and a computer guy...I promise they are embedded.  I'm the one who tags everything for the entire family and extended friends group...because no one gets it...almost 5000 albums at this point...I've been collecting and ripping for years...

I've installed hundreds of operating systems and been Mac exclusive for the past five years...repair Macs...build hacks...I really do get it...that's why this makes no sense...

Not trying to be a jerk...just explaining...

I have three machines running high Sierra...a mini with Nvidia chipset, a mini with intel chipset, and a MacBook Pro retina...they all do the same thing.  iTunes and Amarra see the artwork no problem...but finder doesn't see it.  Checked all the view options...actually re-ripped some music today to make sure.  I even loaded dbpoweramp on one of the machines and added the artwork to the tracks again...and still nothing.  It also won't see the artwork on my HDTracks Downloads...

Two of the machines were Sierra upgrades...one was a fresh install...only common thing is they all have sad's and are running apfs.

And my iMac hack...running Sierra...hfs+J works perfectly...I can even use it to look at the drives on the other computers through the network...and the embedded artwork displays...

Just bizarre

I didn't think you were trying to be a jerk, I am just trying to come up with an answer and really don't have one either.

The drive that has my music on it is an internal spinning drive, formatted with APFS, which is just a storage drive.  The SSD (OWC Electra 6G) is the boot drive.

No electron left behind.

And I appreciate it...very much...just making me nuts. I think I have to wait for another operating system update or two.  I’m not going to update my iMac until I can figure this out...that’s my main machine. 

I also have another Mac mini coming tomorrow...it’s running Sierra...going to test the files on that machine...then update it and see what happens...that’s a newer model, about a year old and doesn't have a ssd in it yet...that will give me a chance to install High Sierra hfs+j and take that variable out of the equation...then I’ll put an ssd in that machine and see if that changes the result. 

Is High Sierra officially released? I ask this as I just tried "Software Update" and it said "No Updates Available". I have Sierra 10.12.2.

Thanks in advance,

Teresa

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

7 minutes ago, Teresa said:

Is High Sierra officially released? I ask this as I just tried "Software Update" and it said "No Updates Available". I have Sierra 10.12.2.

Thanks in advance,

Teresa

Yes, it was released several days ago. If you open App Store it will show a link for download and update. I went through update in MacBook Air, it seem to be even faster than previous OS updates.

I upgraded to High Sierra yesterday without issue (Mac mini, late 2012, 256GB SSD, 16GB memory). I did not do a clean install. Everything is running great and seems quite a bit faster with the new file system. I also converted my Oyen Digital MiniPro Thunderbolt SSD drive to APFS without issue. This drive contains a backup library of my music and I did not reformat beforehand. The conversion only took seconds and I've yet to detect any problems. I use this library in conjunction with A+ 2.6.8 & Fidelia 1.6.5, which are both running fine. A very good experience for me this time around.

On 10/1/2017 at 10:31 PM, AudioDoctor said:

Have you checked view options to see if "Show Icons" is checked?

Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 9.30.22 PM.png

Yes...did a reinstall today on the new Mac mini..it worked with icon previews for a few hours...then after a reboot...they disappeared...