IGNORED

Just upgraded to OS High Sierra

And something very neat happened.  As usual, I did a clean install.  Normally this would mean redownloading software, and going through a bit of hassle getting everything set up as before.  Not this time.  Despite the clean install, everything is as I left it in Sierra.  All my software is there, passwords were there, Safari Extensions, etc...  All I had to do was restart and take up where I left off.

I still have to upgrade my HDDs to APFS which will take some doing, but right now my SSD boot drive is working perfectly.

No electron left behind.

I now have a fully up and running system, everything is working and everything is done.  I fixed a few folder issues I had identified and wanted to fix to put things in more logical places and rebuilt my iTunes and Audirvana+ libraries and am doing a time machine backup right now.

Easily the most painless upgrade I have ever had from Apple.

interestingly, when I deleted my old Time Machine backup, I formatted the disk as APFS, but Time Machine re-formatted it as HFS+ Journaled.  I don't know why, but I suppose Apple has some reason for that.

No electron left behind.

4 hours ago, kirkmc said:

As for APFS, it's only for SSDs for now. 

I have APFS on both of my internal drives, SSD and HDDS, but APFS isn't compatible with time machine right now for some reason.  I think that's odd because one of APFSs features is supposed to be better and more space efficient snap shot back ups.

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, Arnoldhasmail said:

I’m still on El Capitan...Sierra always gave me issues. Been running High Sierra on my non–music server Mac and love it...it’s been working great...

My question for you is...how does it sound???

When I clean-installed Sierra some tome ago I thought HQ Player which I used sounds better than on El Cap. Now I am not so sure. Didn't try High Sierra yet, also because I am listening music with wtfplay now.

2 hours ago, Arnoldhasmail said:

I’m still on El Capitan...Sierra always gave me issues. Been running High Sierra on my non–music server Mac and love it...it’s been working great...

My question for you is...how does it sound???

It sounds the same as Sierra did for me, great!

No electron left behind.

17 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have APFS on both of my internal drives, SSD and HDDS, but APFS isn't compatible with time machine right now for some reason.  I think that's odd because one of APFSs features is supposed to be better and more space efficient snap shot back ups.

From Apple's support document:

When you install macOS High Sierra on the Mac volume of a solid-state drive (SSD) or other all-flash storage device, that volume is automatically converted to APFS. Fusion Drives, traditional hard disk drives (HDDs), and non-Mac volumes aren't converted.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

5 hours ago, kirkmc said:

From Apple's support document:

When you install macOS High Sierra on the Mac volume of a solid-state drive (SSD) or other all-flash storage device, that volume is automatically converted to APFS. Fusion Drives, traditional hard disk drives (HDDs), and non-Mac volumes aren't converted.

If you want to keep doubting me, go ahead.  This is a 500gb spinning drive.  The keyword in the apple support document you like to quote is "AUTOMATICALLY."

edit:  If you want to convert any internal spinning drives you have, right click on it in Disk Utility and select "convert to APFS.

edit again, mine is already converted to APFS, but I highlighted the area where you will see the command.

diskutility.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 11.23.25 AM.png

No electron left behind.

On 9/27/2017 at 1:31 PM, AudioDoctor said:

My back up drive didn't convert either (I use CCC). I deleted the existing back up...erased the partition and converted to apfs and restarted the back up...all is well and it’s apfs now...

Fate ain't just whos' cooking smells good but which way the wind blows...

2 hours ago, Arnoldhasmail said:

My back up drive didn't convert either (I use CCC). I deleted the existing back up...erased the partition and converted to apfs and restarted the back up...all is well and it’s apfs now...

Have you tried to do a Time machine backup since then?  I formatted my external time machine drive as APFS but when it tried to do a backup I recieved a warning that it was incompatible with Time Machine and to reformat the drive as HFS+

No electron left behind.

21 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Have you tried to do a Time machine backup since then?  I formatted my external time machine drive as APFS but when it tried to do a backup I recieved a warning that it was incompatible with Time Machine and to reformat the drive as HFS+

No...I don’t use time machine on that Mac...and haven’t converted the machine where I do use it to High Sierra yet...still testing it out...

12 hours ago, mjb said:

I’d hold off on deploying APFS with spinning disks for the time being, Apple disabled it in the later betas and final release for a reason. 

I converted a spinning drive on a non essential Mac I use...so far so good but I’m going to give it time. 

It is available in disk utility now...I think from the edit menu up top...