IGNORED

DSD512 Upsampling - Foobar vs. HQPlayer

jdubs

Hey guys

Would love to hear some opinons on these two.  Right now I'm using Foobar upsampling my redbook files to 352.4khz with SOX and THEN upsampling that material to DSD512 with SACD and DSD Processor (SDM Type D) and it sounds great....and the CPU utilization is quite low at 12% on my older i7-3770k

Thanks

Jim

As the upsampling is done with foo_dsd_asio, you may also want to try some other players, and compare to Foobar. For instance, I am very happy with the sound of (Russian) Album Player (aka APlayer) with foo_dsd_asio. For me a low footprint is important, so I prefer it to running HQPlayer on my audio pc.

Link to APlayer website:

http://vv.uka.ru/aplayer_eng.html

This software player has matured beautifully and now includes a good english manual. It has a renderer and can be controlled from a smartphone or iPad using a web app.

I use the Mini version (even lower footprint).

audio system

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys

I've landed on JRiver v23 x64....w/ foo_dsd_asio Type D for upsampling.

This is after I bought HQ Player...ugh.  But just couldn't get used to the crappy user interface.  JRiver with this upsampling engine sound VERY good imo and the user interface is killer.

-Jim

You don't need to use HQPlayer's user interface, because with the Desktop version you can use any of the three alternative GUIs for controlling the player (Alchemy, Muso or Roon).

In addition, I am using HQPlayer Embedded in a separate headless computer and sending audio from Mac Mini using Tidal and Spotify applications to the HQPlayer for upsampling. Pretty simple, pressing power button brings up the HQPlayer Embedded in about three seconds, and pressing power button again takes the computer down in about one second. I can control filters and such with web browser when necessary. (this way I can also get Tidal's MQA decoding with HQPlayer's upsampling, if I want (not really))

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 minutes ago, Miska said:

You don't need to use HQPlayer's user interface, because with the Desktop version you can use any of the three alternative GUIs for controlling the player (Alchemy, Muso or Roon).

In addition, I am using HQPlayer Embedded in a separate headless computer and sending audio from Mac Mini using Tidal and Spotify applications to the HQPlayer for upsampling. Pretty simple, pressing power button brings up the HQPlayer Embedded in about three seconds, and pressing power button again takes the computer down in about one second. I can control filters and such with web browser when necessary. (this way I can also get Tidal's MQA decoding with HQPlayer's upsampling, if I want (not really))

How do you send signal to Embedded from Tidal/Spotify? Have you written a link for it?