IGNORED

HFS+ or APFS for external HD

So I just bought myself 4x 4TB WD external HD to put my CD rips on one and use the other 3 for backups. I have been using the public bèta of macOS High Sierra and with the release date just a few days away, I am now asking myself (actually I'm asking you) should I format the drives in APFS or go with the old HFS + journaled?

--LP

- got the AIFF on the APFS -

The Apple FAQ that Doug linked to, second question, discusses "resharing".  What's the difference between resharing and sharing?  (Maybe Apple's documentation should switch to Esperanto.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

They very thoughtfully had me install AFS on my iMac fusion drive in the first beta release.  Now I go to install the actual high sierra, do the 5 Gig download, and open it up and it just gives me a link to their website with instructions on how to (a) wipe my drive clean after backup, (b) zero the drive, and (c) reinstall everything after re-formatting back to HFS+.  

At this point I think I would rather install Xubuntu.  

F--ing Apple.  (I say this as a slobbering Apple fan.  They really don't have their act together any more.)

7 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I ran a Google search on "High Sierra issues problems"  

I don't Beta anything -- too many years on the bleeding edge

I installed the beta on this iMac because it was experiencing a problem of randomly shutting down.  I thought the drive reformat to AFS might help.  

It did not.  But at that point I was all in.

On a few of the subsequent updates of the beta releases, I noticed the OS would get corrupted and I would have to reinstall it from the rescue partition.  I wonder if that is the problem they have with the fusion drives?

Meanwhile, I think I will have to replace the power supply in that thing (2013 iMac 27" POS).

3 minutes ago, wgscott said:

There is very little that has visibly changed.  I think most are OS optimizations.  My hope is it will be like Snow Leopard (10.6), which boasted "no new features" but was the best OS version they have ever released.  I still run it on a couple of old machines.

I'm pretty sure that's what they [Apple] said at the WWDC earlier this year. They even joked about calling it Snow Sierra or Mountain Sierra.

- got the AIFF on the APFS -