Computer Audiophile
Sign in to follow this  
jamesg11

SMPS, wallwort replacements

Rate this topic

jamesg11   

Specifically, working out the correct plugs to go with a spare lpsu with 2.1x5.5 - adaptors, barrels eyc - is not easy ... minimal info anywhere:

eg a d-link wifi extender turned out to be 1.3x5.5.

So, for starters, WD external hard drives, My Books, Thunderbolt Duos etc, are what? 2.5 x 5.5?

Router is a "Technicolor TG799vac" - not even a manual available, not that plugs are mentioned ever in such ... so plug required is ...?

We need a database!

Wiki gives a range of dc plugs, but not for specific products.

sandyk   

Hi James

You are not wrong !

Downunder,  supposedly 2.1 x 5.5mm sockets are too small for the plugs on Li Ion rechargeable batteries etc. even though they will plug directly into a USB Regen. Some will only go part way in, although they work, due to the shaft length of the plug.

It's a minefield.

Next time I am in Sydney, I will take a typical plug with me and make sure that the sockets I buy are a correct fit.

Alex

jamesg11   

/& even that approach is not always straightforward -

eg aforementioned d-link plug was sort of correctly identified by Jaycar Melbourne cbd staff, but they didn't stock it ... check that night on their website had me back there with part ID & then success!

sandyk   

Hi James

These days, I mainly use Altronics , and don't miss Jaycar too much due to some problems with components a while back ,such as well out of spec. voltage regulators ,and Suntan electrolytic capacitors that went dome shaped and leaked ( Pirated formula!)

Regards

Alex

P.S.

I wish that some of our >33C heat would bugger off down south .

We look set to once again set a new record temp. for this time of year.

Of course, Donald Trump will refuse to believe that temps this high so early in spring, MAY be due to Global Warming.

I hope that Adelaide doesn't get a run of >40C degree days again  this year.

5 hours ago, sandyk said:

... I wish that some of our >33C heat would bugger off down south ...

It's an ill wind, and all that... We're expecting a nice warm week thanks to all that hot air making its way across the Tasman. So keep it up... ;)

I keep 3 things handy:

- A set of tips from an old "universal" power supply.

- A set of small metric drill bits to measure internal diameter.

- A metric drill gauge to measure external diameter.

Things get a bit more tricky with the connectors used on, for example, modern HP laptops, with the two contacts being on the inside and outside of a relatively large cylinder, with a tiny centre pin. There are at least two sizes of these in common use.