IGNORED

how do i make the Synology NAS drive see the new external drive?

There is an option in the Explorer view of the Synology that allows you to Mount a remote Share. Its been a while since I've had to do it so all the details are a bit fuzzy but I can tell you the option is there for sure. This of course is assuming you are reffering to two NAS devices and not one NAS and one USB. Either way, it can mount a USB drive also.

May I suggest to RTFM...Lol

• 2 weeks later...

I have a DS412 which allows me to attach an external HDD via USB cable directly to the NAS.  Using the Synology software on your computer, you open the control panel, look for system and then click on external devices.  You should see your external drive under USB.  Cannot answer the query regarding LMS.  I have FLAC files and use the Synology software to do any transfers between the NAS and a HDD.

FLAC and AIF files mainly 192/24 and lower on Synology DS412 4x4Tb WD Red  in SHR2>direct ethernet to NUC>Intel NUC5PPYH w/JR Media 20 Akasa Newton P fanless case and DIY o11 LPS>Straightwire USB cable>W4S Recovery w/LPS>W4S DAC2DSD V2 w/Femto clock>Kimber Silver Streak balanced>Balanced Audio Technology VK3000SE>Kimber Monocle XL>Sonus Faber Cremona floorstanders