IGNORED

64 bit version of JRiver Media Center

satbox

I wonder what the advantage is. JRiver has insisted that the *only* important parameter is bit-perfect playback.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

3 hours ago, beetlemania said:

I wonder what the advantage is. JRiver has insisted that the *only* important parameter is bit-perfect playback.

The 64bit version runs faster and the advantage of that is in applications that demand a lot of processing power.  I play high-resolution files (up to DXD and DSD256) in 6 channels which are, typically, processed for room EQ.  It takes a lot especially if you need the device to be silent.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

One use case that benefits is memory play. 32-Bit JRiver was very limited in the size of file (1GB)  it could load into RAM for true memory playback. Larger files were loaded in 1GB chunks. JRiver may insist that bit perfect is the only thing that matters but they have certainly implemented many audiophile friendly features...perhaps grudgingly, I don't know, I don't really frequent their forums anymore. There are still limits to file size for memory playback but they are about to be bumped up. This is from their forums re: upcoming builds: 

Changed: Increased the cap for memory playback track loading to 2GB on 32-bit and 16GB on 64-bit.

6 hours ago, jriver said:

Thanks for posting.  You could start here:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,112283.0.html

Thanks. I stopped when administrator JimH posted today...

""There is a strong warning in the build thread: "This is an early build of JRiver Media Center 23 for Windows 64-bit, recommended for advanced users only. You may experience new problems, so please back up your library before installing."

I think that's enough.  Any differences should rapidly disappear. If you're not able to cope with a few problems, please don't use it.""

Sounds like we might want to wait for a while unless we want to beta test.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Just upgraded to the 64-bit version -- no problems at all.

* Backed up library

* Uninstalled JRMC 23 32-bit version

* Installed JRMC 23 64-bit version

* Restored library

* Bingo

Qualifier: I currently use JRiver only as a renderer with Dirac Live.  Media server is Minimserver.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
55 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

What do you use Minimserver for in this setup?

I'm not using the DLNA server capabilities in JRiver. I'm trying to minimize the processing on the nuc to hopefully squeeze the best sound possible out of it (also using Fidelizer and Audiophile Optimizer).  I've got Minimserver and Bubbleupnp server on a NAS to feed music and stream Tidal -- both of these functions can be handled within one UI (which JRemote can't do) by a variety of apps.

I've had JRiver for a while, so while I'm not using many of it's capabilities, I know it's doing its job really well.  I find the configuration simple to maintain and use.  Obviously difficult to A/B, but it sounds great to me.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
2 hours ago, jcn3 said:

Just upgraded to the 64-bit version -- no problems at all.

* Backed up library

* Uninstalled JRMC 23 32-bit version

* Installed JRMC 23 64-bit version

* Restored library

* Bingo

Qualifier: I currently use JRiver only as a renderer with Dirac Live.  Media server is Minimserver.

If JMRC is not your media server, then why the need to back-up the library?

mQa is dead!

8 hours ago, lucretius said:

If JMRC is not your media server, then why the need to back-up the library?

The settings.

21 minutes ago, lucretius said:

In JRMC, when you go to Player -> DSP Studio, there is a "Load/Save" button at the bottom.  This is for loading/saving the settings.  

I don't believe that picks up all settings, license key info, etc.

14 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

If that means you are using Kazoo for control in preference to JRiver, it baffles me.

No, I'm not but to each his own.

14 hours ago, jcn3 said:

I don't believe that picks up all settings, license key info, etc.

I think you are correct in that it doesn't save license key info -- which (for Windows) is found in the registry.  But I doubt that backing up the library would save that.  Nonetheless, if installing a new version and it does not pickup the license key info from the registry, then you do the license restore (on JRiver site.) 

mQa is dead!

Saving the library settings is nice, especially for DSD without any meta tags or sidecar.  You can save the settings, library tags, etc all in one.  No, it doesn't save license key info.  You need to register again. 

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

4 hours ago, lucretius said:

But I doubt that backing up the library would save that.

It does seem to as I did not have to register again. Maybe it was picking up from the registry.

• 3 weeks later...

Been running it for a couple of weeks using the “load tracks in to memory” option. With the exception of about a second delay in playing the tracks, it seems to work very well. I think it’s sounds slightly better, but it’s close and not enough to say it’s a game changer.

I have played with the web based remote new and old and although it’s better I still find it to still be a bit clunky in comparison to the separate app when can be purchased on iOS although I cannot comment on what it’s like against other formats.

The program loads quicker for sure and works fine with Process Lasso, Fidelizer and Audiophile Optimzer.

Its worth noting that I don’t use any of the upsampling options within JRIVER other than allowing it to pass the data to my DAC in a format it understands (fIles saved as WAV). I also use the kernel AISO driver and it’s response time is set to its most responsive. I also have SOtM USBExp card which works perfectly.  My OS is Windows 10 with 32Gb and I5 fanless  solution.

if you have setup the 32bit version, remember to check your settings before installing the new one as you’ll need to re-input them again once installed. 

Overall, it feels just like the 32bit version which can only be seen as a success for JRIVER, being able to load the music files into the memory is a lot better as it used to crash large files in my system (32bit version).  As I’ve mentioned, the web remote is better than the last one, however it’s still got a long way to go before I ditch my iPhone remote. 

Hope this helps!