IGNORED

SMPS and grounding

4 hours ago, sandyk said:

Hi Alex

I have a friend with a 300W HDPlex PSU that also owns an LPS-1

I have forwarded this post to him and asked if he is able to check the actual output voltage of it's 12V rail.

IIRC, he also had a module fail some time back, and that later revisions provided some protection.

Do you know from these customers if their HDPLex PSU modules failed at the same time, with perhaps a series voltage regulator failure resulting in full unregulated output voltage to the load ?

I believe that this may have happened.

Kind Regards

Alex K

I have the newest HD Plex 200W 4 rail PSU and I measured all outputs and they are what they are suppose to be.

As there are four different HD Plex PSU the old 160W and 300W and the current 200W and 400W so it would be good to perhaps sort out what modell of PSU that fried the LPS-1 @Superdad if you know that? I dont want to use the HD Plex if there are this sort of problems with them.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
5 minutes ago, octaviars said:

As there are four different HD Plex PSU the old 160W and 300W and the current 200W and 400W so it would be good to perhaps sort out what modell of PSU that fried the LPS-1 @Superdad if you know that? I dont want to use the HD Plex if there are this sort of problems with them.

My understanding is that later models, and returned faulty modules had overload protection included at the time of repair, which means the  series pass transistors shouldn't overheat, go short circuit ,and pass the full input voltage before regulation to the output.

I would need to confirm the latter with my friend though.

Alex K.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Ok I see @sandyk just bought the PSU secondhand to use with ISP fiber, router, switch and NUC but it gets rather hot so need to see if it will work in the long run......perhaps just use the SMPS that came with the equipment and just ground the SMPS to my GS108 and be done with it :)

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system
15 minutes ago, octaviars said:

Ok I see @sandyk just bought the PSU secondhand to use with ISP fiber, router, switch and NUC but it gets rather hot so need to see if it will work in the long run......perhaps just use the SMPS that came with the equipment and just ground the SMPS to my GS108 and be done with it :)

I could be wrong here, but I think that the adjustable output may be the one more likely to fail if the output voltage is turned down close to it's lower adjustable limit, which would result in more voltage being dropped across it's voltage regulator, causing it to run much hotter.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

6 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I could be wrong here, but I think that the adjustable output may be the one more likely to fail if the output voltage is turned down close to it's lower adjustable limit, which would result in more voltage being dropped across it's voltage regulator, causing it to run much hotter.

I run the adjustable at 19V and around 1.5A so that wont be a problem. 

Main system

Second system
2 minutes ago, octaviars said:

I run the adjustable at 19V and around 1.5A so that wont be a problem.

Agreed .

What do you +19V for ?

It's too high for most normal uses, but could be used in conjunction with a cheap ebay voltage regulator with a larger than average heat sink to obtain a lower voltage supply.

3 minutes ago, sandyk said:

What do you +19V for ?

My Asus router runs on 19V.

I use 5V to ISP, 19V to router, 12V to switch and 19V to NUC with Roon ROCK. 

Main system

Second system
15 minutes ago, octaviars said:

My Asus router runs on 19V.

I use 5V to ISP, 19V to router, 12V to switch and 19V to NUC with Roon ROCK. 

O.K.

You seem to have it well sorted, so you shouldn't have any problems with it. 

Well I’ve been running the LPS-1 for a year now with the 12V rail of the HDPLEX and no issues. Runs much cooler than with the iPower 9V I tried it with first. But I’m pretty sure my HD is a later build. Maybe I’ll play it safe and contact them. The HD also powers an FMC (9V adjustable rail) and an iFi SPDIF Purifier for the TV (5V rail). 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Looking at this it became an easy decision to clean up the SMPS around my main music system.  Looking at the possibility of adding a JS-2 I am wondering what to power with what? In the system today is Sonore Ultra Rendu powered with LPS-1, now with shunted SMPS, Netgear GS108 with shunted SMPS, Brooklyn DAC using internal SMPS, MBL amps and an Audessey SUB controller powered powered with external SMPS. 

/Henrik

4 minutes ago, thyname said:

So a linear power supply to power another linear power supply. You guys are nuts! LOL!

I wouldn't buy a JS-2 for the purpose of powering an LPS-1, but it is an option for one port depending on what other devices can be powered by it and what ultimately sounds best.  :D

In light of @austinpop's comment above, I might try the Brooklyn and LPS-1 first, but it's always good to explore all possibilities.

I have 2 y-cables so I can power 4 devices with my JS-2.

17 minutes ago, H-Man said:

Looking at this it became an easy decision to clean up the SMPS around my main music system.  Looking at the possibility of adding a JS-2 I am wondering what to power with what? In the system today is Sonore Ultra Rendu powered with LPS-1, now with shunted SMPS, Netgear GS108 with shunted SMPS, Brooklyn DAC using internal SMPS, MBL amps and an Audessey SUB controller powered powered with external SMPS. 

Hi Henrik:

Your Brooklyn DAC is screaming for the JS-2!  Without a doubt that would be the best first use for our acclaimed choke-filtered, dual-output, 5-7 amp linear power supply.

I need to send Mytek a holiday gift this year as I have lost count of how many Brooklyn DAC owners have employed the JS-2 to elevate that fine DAC.

Here is a typical e-mail--from a client a few months back:

Alex,
Thank you for the JS-2.  I connected it to Mytek Brooklyn and the Microrendu.  The sonic results exceeded my expectations by a wide margin.  The sound with the JS-2 became much more clear, more defined and simply more natural.  Never thought that DC power from one unit or another  can be so far apart in quality when feeding good quality audio equipment where the results are clearly audible.
Thanks a lot,
John

I really don't like selling the JS-2 for little stuff (the design is too good and we put too much time into each one to have it wasted).  It really shines with DACs and other actual audio components.  I think we have built and sold over 500 JS-2s by now and nobody is ever less than thrilled.

Time to pack for Turkey Day!  Best holiday wishes to those who are here in the States.

--Alex C.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to ground the integral SMPS in my cable TV set-top box. It has a C7 type power inlet, so I'm left to use some other jack to connect the ground shunt.

Here is the rear panel, is there any particular preference for grounding say, RCA vs. USB, vs. the unused coax F connector output?

5a2302665a6d9_ScreenShot2017-12-02at2_26_08PM.thumb.jpg.e9d948e0d558ba8f69c185f75a181598.jpg

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Would this product be useful?

SFE_SNR (2).pdf

• HQPE 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or playing files from external SSD
  • Surface Go 3 i3 Tablet with HQPlayer Client
  • ISP Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule 
  • Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s

Is this adequate?

MANUAL-SNR.PDF

• HQPE 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or playing files from external SSD
  • Surface Go 3 i3 Tablet with HQPlayer Client
  • ISP Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule 
  • Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s