IGNORED

SMPS and grounding

7 hours ago, tboooe said:

Guys a question.  I am trying to figure out if its worth trying this grounding technique on my power cables...I use some Synergistic Research power cords which have "active shielding" that requires a SMPS.  Is it possible for SMPS leakage to go through the AC power cord, into my equipment and eventually into the rest of my system?

Holy smokes.  Just measured the output from the Synergistic Research SMPS powering the active shielding of my power cables and its 35V!  Not what I was expecting.  

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

AC or DC?

That's DC.

Upon closer inspection the SMPS do not have a grounding pin.  

Just completed the grounding plug with some random bits and pieces I had laying around.  I have 2 drain wires going to the same plug.  I read in this thread that having multiple SMPS connected to the same ground plug is ok?

Now for some listening.  I will report back shortly.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

6 hours ago, Forehaven said:

John, I too have some buzzing now with the shunts, but I used like Ted, the 24g silicon tinned wire for the shunts.  Are you now saying we should be using something like 12-16g wire instead to help overcome some 'shunt resistance'?

You should be using heavy wire for the two short pieces between male and female barrel connectors. The 24AWG wire is fine for use to the AC wall plug. See the pictures in the original post.: big heavy bare wires between barrel connectors and thin wire to AC plug.

John S.

John s .. been following this thread and about to do this 2moz . Keen to try as peps are giving it good feedback  .. anyway

My netgear gs105 runs ethernet to my sms 200 and another to raspberry pi running openmediavault . Pi has a powered hub running to it for usb storage .. so should i put the shunt on netgear switch , pi and  hub which will be plugged into same board or just switch ?

Thnx 

“Not sure I fully understand your question. If your after a special custom made cable, you can email Ghent.”

Given earlier discussion of cabling issues, noise antenna etc, what sort of custom usb cable should I get Ghent to make?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

43 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

Given earlier discussion of cabling issues, noise antenna etc, what sort of custom usb cable should I get Ghent to make?

I think @Cornan did order a special made USB cable. If that is suitable for you I don't know as I actually not sure what you expect to achieve for this tweak. As I said I notice you already as an Ethernet chain for your audio since you use the UR. And the USPCB as well.

Maybe you think some sort of noise from the USB interface and cabling of HDD/SSD is traveling through to your UR ? :o 

You can separate or disconnect power. Add external power. Have special connector requests etc. And then you can add shielding or not.

But i think the USB specifications already have some sort of a minus (or shield included).

I think if you expect some answers here, your must explain better. Maybe add pictures. schematic.

19 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I think @Cornan did order a special made USB cable.

Yes, I ordered this special USB cable from Alex @ ALT Hi-Fi. I actually asked Ghent first, but he could'nt do it since he do not make the cables himself. Alex does. He uses silver plated wires. It is clearly my best USB cable up to date. 

I am so happy with my USB cable that I am now in discussions with Alex to make me one with better plugs, silver plated shield sleeves and Mundorf gold/silver wires. A nice looking and optimized version to keep for a long time.

🎛️  Audio System  

OK after listening for a few hours I would say this grounding tweak does have a positive impact on my system, albeit a subtle one.  Depending on the song it seems this tweak made the background a more black allowing me to hear slightly more detail.  I've paid much much more for less improvement so needless to say I will be keeping this in the system.

Other components:

2 hours ago, tboooe said:

OK after listening for a few hours I would say this grounding tweak does have a positive impact on my system, albeit a subtle one.  Depending on the song it seems this tweak made the background a more black allowing me to hear slightly more detail.  I've paid much much more for less improvement so needless to say I will be keeping this in the system.

If you want to optimize it you should consider silver plated wires for the JSGT. It makes a noticable improvement over copper wires.

🎛️  Audio System  

3 minutes ago, Cornan said:

If you want to optimize it you should consider silver plated wires for the JSGT. It makes a noticable improvement over copper wires.

so you are referring to the drain wire?

Other components:

12 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Yes, it do make a difference for the better. Pure silver is best, but silver plated wires is a clear strip up.

Interesting...whats a good source for pure silver?  What gauge?

Other components:

2 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Here is a couple of tips that I recently shared at the DIY DC power cables thread:

Thank you...what diameter do you suggest for the drain wire?

Other components:

24 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Sorry Cornan, but while I appreciate your enthusiasm and the pleasure you get in doing tweaky things, I am going to call BULL on the notion that silver wires improve the ground-shunt of an SMPS.  That is just a bridge too far.

John's trick of shunting an SMPS' high-impedance leakage to ground makes a  measurable difference--and for some an audible one. But using a silver wire to do it is not going to do anything.

You can do these things (though replacing the 3+ Gopher SMPS units in your system would give real benefits) but I feel the need to say something here as I really don't want John's based-on-engineering mod to get too mixed up in hoofy-spoofy stuff.  We have enough of a time already with skeptics calling our actual products "snake oil."  9_9

All good wishes to you,

--Alex C.

1 minute ago, Superdad said:

Sorry Cornan, but while I appreciate your enthusiasm and the pleasure you get in doing tweaky things, I am going to call BULL on the notion that silver wires improve the ground-shunt of an SMPS.  That is just a bridge too far.

John's trick of shunting an SMPS' high-impedance leakage to ground makes a  measurable difference--and for some an audible one. But using a silver wire to do it is not going to do anything.

You can do these things (though replacing the 3+ Gopher SMPS units in your system would give real benefits) but I feel the need to say something here as I really don't want John's based-on-engineering mod to get too mixed up in hoofy-spoofy stuff.  We have enough of a time already with skeptics calling our actual products "snake oil."  9_9

All good wishes to you,

--Alex C.

Alex! I am just sharing things that I have tried myself in my own setup. I am not trying to confuse people by randomly dropping bombs. I do think you should give it a try yourself before calling it bull. Using silver wires for grounding purposes is not something new. It have been around for many years and have been confirmed by a lot of people before me. Just saying that for someone that are curious this is simple thing to try and see if it improves things further. It did for me many times.

🎛️  Audio System